Thread: Anchors for PWS

Default Anchors for PWS

New Coho Offshore should be done in July. Shopping for anchors. Decisions, decisions........ Need advice from old tars. Ebay has loads, name brand and imitations, as does West Marine.......stainless versus galvanized..........Danforth versus CQR?..........One each probably.......anybody carrying three anchors?..............50' chain minimum........what's best rode line?

Please advise. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by petrophobe View Post
    New Coho Offshore should be done in July. Shopping for anchors. Decisions, decisions........ Need advice from old tars. Ebay has loads, name brand and imitations, as does West Marine.......stainless versus galvanized..........Danforth versus CQR?..........One each probably.......anybody carrying three anchors?..............50' chain minimum........what's best rode line?

Please advise. Thanks
    Just get a Bruce and be done with it.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Where are you planning on keeping 2 extra anchor rodes on your boat?

I'm using a 33 lb bruce, 40' by 5/16" type 316 SS chain, & a 33 lb Bruce. Had the bruce break loose from a set only "1" time so far {seas were 6' + & 20 mph+ winds}. It was a quick test to verify the holding pwr. I made the conclusion, pulled the rode & ran for cover!!!

Quote Originally Posted by petrophobe View Post

Please advise. Thanks

Kidless give me a call when you got about 20 mins when you get a chance. Got some info for you.

Wdy82, sent ya a pm..

I'd go with a Bruce, all the way,
    (it's the design that works, brand name is not critical so you could save money with a Bruce copycat)
    and the key is having chain for a few fathoms to keep the shank down, (five fathoms,or 30', would be enough I'd think)

you can also tie a cannon ball on there if in storm surge for the same effect but something heavy for at least a few fathoms up from the anchor will make all the difference.
    I also use Samson line for the main line. has a bit of stretch to it

I wouldn't worry about going Stainless, or having more than one spare,
    just rig it well, stainless wire on your shackles, some firehose chaffing gear for the mainline on the bow roller, etc.
    shouldn't have any problems with your primary anchor,

in some thirty years, I've lost one anchor, and that was in the most extreme circumstance (Anchoring in a major tide rush, while commerciall jigging) not going to happen to you.
    (a spare setup is not a bad idea, bet you'll never use it tho, if primary is rigged right)
    spend your money and time on your initial set-up
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Kidless,
    Didn't get your pm and your box is full.

I'd go w/ an imitation (chinese) bruce w/ lots of chain

Default Bruce

Thanks for all the replies, Bruce it is.