Thread: Peep sight keeps turning

Default Peep sight keeps turning

I got a new bow for Christmas, and have onLy been able to put about twenty arrows through it with work and the weather. Seemed like very shot I took, my peep sight kept turning about a quarter to half turn very draw back. Question is does it take a certain amour of shots to break in the string to stop my peep from turning or should I buy a different peep? Any thoughts?

Indiana, only because that's where the check came from...

No, shooting it won't do it. You need to take it to a reputable bow shop and have them put it in a press and twist the string to get it to come into position each time you pull it back. I assume you're using a "D Loop" on your string. With the latter, slight twisting of the D loop will align the peep, however, if it's doing what I think you're describing this is an easy fix at a pro shop, but you need to have it done with the bow in a press. Other fixes might be having the peep put in with a different number of string strands one one side of the peep vs. the other, what I mentioned initially is the standard fix.

And here is my side most shops will tell you put a 100 shots thru to get the string to settle. Now with most if not all custom string makers you will not have this issue. Majority of the bow companies use in house strings some are good and other are horrible. I usually order custom strings shoot the bow with factory strings once the custom strings show up good by factory strings. Trust me save yourself a trip shoot the bow more and get the strings to settle. The shop will gladly take the bow put in a press twist the string and charge you, when they know you need to shoot it more...

Put a loop on the string that is aligned to your peep. That way no matter if your string decides to twist, when you hook on your release and pull back, the peep comes straight to your eye every time.

Quote Originally Posted by willyum10 View Post
    I got a new bow for Christmas, and have onLy been able to put about twenty arrows through it with work and the weather. Seemed like very shot I took, my peep sight kept turning about a quarter to half turn very draw back. Question is does it take a certain amour of shots to break in the string to stop my peep from turning or should I buy a different peep? Any thoughts?

Depending on the brand of strings you have, it can take up to 50 shots to 'shoot in' a set of strings. Although it isn't a lot of fun when your peep isn't coming back straight, go ahead and shoot another 80 arrows through it, or shoot untill your peep has completely stopped 'walking.' Then take it to a pro shop, preferably one with a range, and have them twist the string to realign the peep. Shoot a few arrows throw it before you leave to make sure it's settling straight, and you will be good to go.

Default rotating peeps

every string acts different.Allmost all of my strings rotate for at least 50 shots. A d loop will help but until the string seats just shoot away and then move the peep and serve it in.

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    Put a loop on the string that is aligned to your peep. That way no matter if your string decides to twist, when you hook on your release and pull back, the peep comes straight to your eye every time.
    more than likely you have a D-loop on the string, what happens is the string will settle in about 50 to 100 shots. the string needs to be given a half a turn to get the peep aligned right,...but in the mean time grab your D-loop and twist it on the string, so that when you when you draw your bow it makes the peep come back the right way, your D-loop will probably be sticking out to the side, but at least you can shoot the bow until you get it in a press.....NOW what will happen when you do this...is...the peep will start turning to the side agian....but WHAT IS REALLY HAPPENING is the D-loop is turning back to the position it was in...the D-loop is rotating on the string. What you need to do is twist it to the right position...then cinch it down really tight...I do this by sticking long needle-nose pliers in the D-loop and pulling the plier handles apart..to open the jaws of the pliers..this will cinch the D-loop tight. you will have to apply a lot of pressure, and the pliers will try to slip out of the D-loop as you pry the handles apart. a little trial and error and you will get. the best answer/fix to the prob is to oput your bow in a press and have the string rotated a half a turn. Harry

Thanks for the advice folks.

Just my two cents. I've always gone with a peep sight with the surgical tubing on it with a new bow or string. This will align your peep for you until you can get your string shot in. As soon as it's stable I switch to a tubing less peep to avoid it being ripped off by brush while on hunt.