Thread: need to impress dad (and myself)

Default need to impress dad (and myself)

im looking for ANY information on fishing the first two weeks of july my father is coming up and, regardless of how many fish we catch, we are going to have an awesome time, but it would be really nice to land a few nice fish this will be my second year bow fishing up here, but my knowledge is limited, as well as my watercraft (maybe an 18ft lund if the deal goes down) i know a couple of lakes we will go to , and of course, we plan 4 or 5 days on the kenai the trouble is that i have never run the kenai by myself, and, i want to go somewhere else and do some wade fishing, perhaps somewhere in the valley as it is, i think i could do a decent trip with what i do know, but a killer trip would keep the old man coming up here (as he is my favorite fishing buddy) any info, tips, or just encouragement would be appreciated (we are primarily bow, and i guess dolly, fly fisherman, but some salmon would be nice as well) thanks guys if i do learn anything outside of the forum, i would be happy to return the favor

For pure hoot, as well as great fishing, go to Kodiak and wade fish the flats with light rods (4-5 weight is best) for early pink salmon as well as searun dollies. By the end of your two weeks the pinks should be there in good numbers.

Ocean bright, they're terrific eating and the limit is 5/. On good days you'll catch a lot more than that on each tide.

There are lakes on the road system stocked with rainbow fry by ADF&G. These tend to grow to outsized proportions eventually and most have a few real hogs. Virtually all the lakes have steep banks or brush, so bring your float tubes. It's best because I bet you never see another soul on the lakes. A good day would be to fish the incoming tides for pinks and dollies, then move to the lakes for the outgoing tide.

There will be lots of reds coming into the Pasagshak river during that time period, but fuggedaboudit. Lots of folks from the Russian have discovered them, and they're in full battle with locals now. Elbow to elbow and everybody circling the fire hydrant with their legs in the air. It's gotten so bad that many locals have switched to gillnets to get their reds. Not willing to put up with the crowding any more than they are sympathetic to complaints about the gillnets. Subject your dad to that and he'll NEVER come back.

"he'll never come back" no kidding i know that the beauty of the lakes is that because of salmon fever, hardly anyone touches them, especially this time of year but, we probably dont have the money to shell out for float tubes, and fly-in or ferry trips are out of the question as well (it was hard enough to get him to agree to fly up here at all) i do have a skanoe (big enough for us plus my stepmother) and i am hopefully getting an 18 ft boat before then but that is pretty much what we have to work with thanks for the feedback i still have some time to plan, but i am already really excited

Default Kodiak

the kodiak tip was right on

i wrote the book on it...

www.alaskanauthor.com

Pm me I don't want to post everything here.