Thread: Bear Hunting Partner Wanted

Default Bear Hunting Partner Wanted

Long time bird/duck hunter here wants to try some spring bear hunting in the South Central area. Really don't plan on hunting over bait, but will do it if my partner perfers and has the know how (i would need to take the class). Also, plan to hunt areas where black and brownies are presant and legal, and will harvest either if opportunity arises and legal. I've heard spring black bears are tasty so will plan to keep the meat. Like I said, I know very little about this. I've been told some good productive areas to run my AIRBOAT to where I should be able to harvest bear near the river, that is what I am after. I'm not asking for gas, don't plan on camping but just going on day trips, will consider overnight if it improves our chances. Right now I would just be following the book on how to skin/dress out a bear if i get one. I'm using a rifle but if you perfer bow or black powder, that is fine also. I know that my airboat opens up all kinds of areas not accessable to many others and want to use this to our advantage in hunting. Anybody interested???? Bud 373 6208 or pm pls.

Got a couple pm's, thank you for your interest. I know nothing about the 20 mile area but it sounds good. I live in Wasilla and was thinking more about the Knick/Matanuska/Deshka or Su. Bud

We've always had opportunities and/or scored on black bears on the big Su by spotting them while feeding on hooligan. Typically later in the day/evening after most boat traffic has died down. Brownies are there too, but get up very very early and drift silently through areas that have sign. Can get real windy, like 30mph + in the big open areas down on the Su. Plenty of places to camp on the river or at the mouth of the Deshka by the porta potties & fish cleaning stations. 20mile is a smaller area and gets crowded pretty fast with minimal places to camp. Good luck.

Although I have no first hand experience on 20 mile river this is what I heard.
    Going up river not so much a problem BUT on the return with the sharp corners and "widowmakers" you will find it difficult to make the turns. A little scouting prior to an all out run might make the difference. Anyway, good hunting to ya.

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    Long time bird/duck hunter here wants to try some spring bear hunting in the South Central area. Really don't plan on hunting over bait, but will do it if my partner perfers and has the know how (i would need to take the class). Also, plan to hunt areas where black and brownies are presant and legal, and will harvest either if opportunity arises and legal. I've heard spring black bears are tasty so will plan to keep the meat. Like I said, I know very little about this. I've been told some good productive areas to run my AIRBOAT to where I should be able to harvest bear near the river, that is what I am after. I'm not asking for gas, don't plan on camping but just going on day trips, will consider overnight if it improves our chances. Right now I would just be following the book on how to skin/dress out a bear if i get one. I'm using a rifle but if you perfer bow or black powder, that is fine also. I know that my airboat opens up all kinds of areas not accessable to many others and want to use this to our advantage in hunting. Anybody interested???? Bud 373 6208 or pm pls.
    Bud, what is your area code?
    I can't hunt this spring, but I'd like to in the future - hopefully next year.
    I can't hunt brownies until I become an AK resident, and that won't be for some years. But I can't wait to take my first black bear.
    I prefer bowhunting, but I love to gun-hunt as well.
    I'll try to PM you. I just discovered this forum.
    Brown bear is my ultimate dream hunt followed by musk ox and/or wild bison.
    I plan to become an AK resident someday so I can hunt brown bear without a guide.