Thread: Best Fly Fishing set-up for Silvers

Default Best Fly Fishing set-up for Silvers

I'm heading up there in August to do some Silver fishing.
    What do you guys think is the ideal fly fishing set-up to do this
    kind of fishing? Rod, line, leader, flies etc.
    Thanks

Spend some time reading through/searching the fly fishing forum.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ska-Flyfishing

This has been covered a lot.

Long story short - an 8 wt or 9 wt is the way to go. A reel with a sturdy drag. The ability to switch between floating line and a sink tip is nice, but you can get by with either. I'd go with full-float if I only had one option.

My leaders are simple - 25# butt section with tippet ranging from 10# to 17# depending on the situation.

Flies... egg sucking leech, bunny leeches (black, purple, pink, chartreuse, flesh), flash flies, dolly llamas, wogs (for fishing on the surface if the opportunity presents itself)

Spend some time surfing around this site - and then break out your credit card.
    http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com/
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

When looking on Alaskaflyfishing web site don't miss picking up a few party girls. Never found a fly that was more deadly with the silvers. Absolutely slammed them in Kodiak on this one.

I like an 8 wt set up for silvers. Pink flies get lots of credit for taking silvers. The site (AFFG) linked above has a silver salmon section with good choices. Don't forget to get some less interesting looking options as well. Silvers get spooky, especially mid day on blue bird days. I had two boxes full of flashy and pinky stuff on a remote float in SW a few years back. Would have had a few bad fishing days if not for the #2 olive bead head woolly buggers I had brought. The silvers wouldn't even look at my bright gaudy offerings on some days. Take some subdued colors/patterns.

Ironically, of all the flies below, it was the olive wb that caught most my silvers...

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Man you must be AFFG's #1 customer, thats a lot of money sitting there!

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    I like an 8 wt set up for silvers. Pink flies get lots of credit for taking silvers. The site (AFFG) linked above has a silver salmon section with good choices. Don't forget to get some less interesting looking options as well. Silvers get spooky, especially mid day on blue bird days. I had two boxes full of flashy and pinky stuff on a remote float in SW a few years back. Would have had a few bad fishing days if not for the #2 olive bead head woolly buggers I had brought. The silvers wouldn't even look at my bright gaudy offerings on some days. Take some subdued colors/patterns.

Ironically, of all the flies below, it was the olive wb that caught most my silvers...

-Dan

Dan I told you never to show off those flies! GRRRRR! " Just Kidding " Olive! Olive! Olive! Cone-Head! Cone-Head! Cone-Head.

I also have very good fishing with a standard size 4 weighted Olive and Black Cone Head Woolley Bugger for Silvers on the Parks Hwgy Streams from the end of July through the first week or so in August. Nope it is not top water action or some of the fishing you will find in places near the salt but they do fairly well most of the time. Don't leave home without them.

BMR

Quote Originally Posted by bowdy15 View Post
    is that a cotton candy fly with a green wing and tail I see????????????

Which box you talking about? You colorblind
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Which box you talking about? You colorblind
    I am talking about the box on the top left,left hand side.................it looks like cotton candy........green head/wing, green tail. Not so much color blind, but my vision isn't what it use to be...............

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    I am talking about the box on the top left,left hand side.................it looks like cotton candy........green head/wing, green tail. Not so much color blind, but my vision isn't what it use to be...............
    you need a mac book. I can blow up 1 flybox to fill my entire screen w/ a sweep my fingers on the mousepad just separate them like you're separating the folds of ..uh your wallet, ahem, did I mention your wallet? break it out if you want a mac...

I'm just gonna have to post a slightly different opinion than WY02AK:

The most common for me is type III sinktip; Floating line in most situations is close to worthless for silvers (sometimes less than worthless), since the fish hold deep to deeper. Admittedly, pink mice are a floating fly used for silvers, but that is kinda rare.

If you are talking the leader (maxima brand), I would go no more than #20 on the first section of leader. and no more than #15 on the last. #25 ties lousy knots. #25 is OK as the butt section of a fly line, if you have a loop at the end of it. Otherwise, you wil be futzing with knots and tapers when you really only want two sections on something that is overall 6 ft in length at most.

Do bring both dark/drab, bright colors, and flash, as already noted.

Stevie Wonder,

Here is a larger image

Looks like some chartreuse marabou popsicle patterns. I put sections of drinking straws on them to keep the fly box tidy.

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by bowdy15 View Post

Ha ha... those flies came from all over the country. Miller's Fly Shop, Hill's Discount Flies, AFFG, 12 year old kids selling flies on Ebay, my buddy back in NC tied some, etc... When you don't tie flies, it is important to at least know where to seek out quality flies.

-Dan

Stevie Wonder,

Here is a larger image

Looks like some chartreuse marabou popsicle patterns. I put sections of drinking straws on them to keep the fly box tidy.

-Dan

LOL ok then that explains it, their is straws covering them..........................nice one on the Stevie Wonder, I think I rep you one for that!

ok I guess I wont, apprently I have rep'ed you to much to give you more..............

I have that effect on folks Mr. Onebar

kenaibow fan
    rep []
    9,831,382 posts

I like the straw idea....I might have to steal that one!

just about anything will work just as long as it has an ESL at the end of it
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

that straw idea is awesome dan might have to borrow that if you dont mind