Thread: A Wake Up Call

Default A Wake Up Call

So, me and the two dogs out for a nice long walk towards the Kenai River today. Just ran it with a snowmachine a couple days ago so we had a nice path to hike with boots on. Came across two sets of nice big bear tracks. These two are up early. Too soon for a wake up. We were out with a day pack and a .22auto in case of bunnies. Guess I'd better man up and take a bigger gun next walk, just in case. Kinda early wake up for here. Didn't see any sign until April last year. Nice size tracks. One set just shy of the length of my size 9 boot. The other a little smaller. Nice long claw holes at the tip of the tracks. They were headed to the Kenai and probably were surprised when they got there and found it frozen........

MikeAttachment 46389

Cool Pic, its early but never too early for me to start checkin the list for April...
    "A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." T. R.

You are right across the river from me, I hope they get tired and go back to sleep. With the river frozen, it makes it a lot easier for them to visit my place.

hmmm . . . thanks for the heads up. I'm glad I just tuned up the electric fence around the goats and chickens.

maybe you should start packin the 308

Mike, It looks like you don't have much snow either.......?

Not much. It's been compacting. Only a couple feet around home and in the meadows, over 3 feet in the scrub pines (as I found out yesterday) but there is a good crust out in the open that can be walked on. I usually snowshoed or skiied out there, but didn't have to yesterday. I was out a few days ago on the snowmachine and made a nice trail for myself...........

This is near Morgan's Landing. .480 will be strapped on for the next hikes.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Sterlingmike View Post
    Not much. It's been compacting. Only a couple feet around home and in the meadows, over 3 feet in the scrub pines (as I found out yesterday) but there is a good crust out in the open that can be walked on. I usually snowshoed or skiied out there, but didn't have to yesterday. I was out a few days ago on the snowmachine and made a nice trail for myself...........

This is near Morgan's Landing. .480 will be strapped on for the next hikes.

Mike
    I spent a lot of time at Bradford's Homestead on the river, just off Scout Lake Loop, before it was a "LOOP".