Thread: Custom Canvas Work

Default Custom Canvas Work

I want to get a camper canvas added to my boat. I'm in Fairbanks and I'm considering using the canvas guy in North Pole ( Alaska Canvas Works). Anyone care to share with me if I should take it there or would you recommend another shop in the Fairbanks area. I want to replace the mooring cover with a full camper cover that will go back to the transom.

Steve
    Last edited by stid2677; 03-04-2011 at 20:26.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Stid, I'm not sure who Alaska Canvas works is, but if it's John Harrell off of Dawson road, he's done a bang-up job for me on all I've needed. I guess I just never saw any signs or business cards with the name of his business on them. Another alternative are the guys off of Van Horn Rd. (actually off of Lathrop St.) in the back of the building that has Hi Tec paint, etc in it, corner of Lathrop and Van horn. I've seen some of their work and it's top notch too, if they are still there. Oz

OzAK, that is the Guy I'm talking about, he works from his house. I have used Alaska Custom Canvas off Van Horn and agree they do awesome work, the price difference was over 500 bucks. That will buy a lot of gas this summer.

Thanks Sir

Steve
    Founding Member

Steve,
    I used Alaska Canvas for mine and it was about as custom as I could get and I will go back there next time - I had a very specific design and needs and they did exactly what I wanted when they said they would. I tow the boat with it up, I leave it up from April to October, and it has been great. 4 full seasons now with no problems, no leaks, no tears, etc. The previous top was a battle getting it completed and was never quite right - I added about 5 gallons of silicone over the years and stayed dry but that was a battle at times.

I can't comment on the other outfit because I have no experience but Alaska Canvas treated me right and I don't mind plugging them. One thing to remember is not all material is created equal and there are some options out there.

My custom needs -

Option one - 2 backs so the inside of the boat is dry and wind proof and I can still fish with a cover - notice there is no aluminum poles in the way in the back corners when landing that 200 pound halibut

Option 2 - Short top to allow for casting room off of the motor cover or enjoying the interior sun

Option 3 - full cover to keep all the kids and dogs dry and comfortable while napping while being strong enough to utilize overhead storage

And the always demanding need of keeping 2 moose dry

RR, Did you get yours done at the place off Van Horn, or North Pole???

I love your rig, a true Alaskan Custom for sure, should be a beast with that new engine!!!

Steve
    Founding Member

I believe they opened a new shop on Van Horn since I had mine done - They were on Lathrop street prior to that in one of those large shop complexes. I had the frame welded first for most of it and just had them add the canvas - Makes it a lot stronger that way.

Yes, Sir I had them do the mooring cover for my boat and the top for my OX. Almost 2K just seems high for what I'm asking for. They are on Van Horn now.

Steve
    Founding Member

That price does sound like it's pretty high! May want to think about blue tarps, tent poles, duct tape, and bungy chords or you could really step out and get camo tarps.

I looked at having my top replaced last year but the price of a new top made me fix and make due with the old one. There is a place that is set back off Van Horn a block or so just east of Lathrop, I think it was called Act Now Upholstry. They restiched some seams and put a new zipper on for almost nothing. Custom Canvas wanted $2k for a new top on my 21' riverrunner, but I didnt look at the guy in North Pole, didnt know about him at the time. Your post reminded me that I need to get the top out and fixed in different areas this year, thanks.

Ron

I looked a bit at making the frame for my extended top as well. You can find a lot of the hardware stufff here: http://www.morseindustries.com/category.aspx?zcid=278 and here: http://www.morseindustries.com/pdf/a...ith%20Logo.pdf

That would still leave the canvas work though.

I am looking at them for the things I need to build my arch too. I really like their terminal ends and weld on rod holders.

Copied and pasted this from another boating forum. It was posted by a guy who made tops for a large boating company in the lower 48 and pertains to the different types of material used when making tops. If you are considering a new top you might find it interesting for new ides:

As for the brand of material, most select Top Gun and second would be Sunbrella. It boils down to personal likes. I like Top Gun, easier to clean and work with. Sunbrella has to be cut by hot-knife or all edges dressed in some way which takes more time, hence labor is higher. There is a company that uses Sunbrella and adds a rubber- like backing and call it Seamark. They use the most popular colors of Sunbrella. It is almost twice the price though. It is softer in feel and wears longer. The rubber backing keeps the material from moving when towing I am guessing. If it moves...it wears, as they say. The best of the best is called Stamoid. Colors are more limited and it has the first impression of being similar to a truck tarp... It has a 10 year warranty and has tested well beyond that. Upgrading to the lifetime thread types is a must, it will outlast standard threads. I replaced the windows on a large cruiser that used all Stamoid for the big aft deck enclosure. It was going on fourteen years and had no noticeable aging to the Stamoid fabric! It is about the most expensive though.
    Tennessee

Custom Canvas Work (907) 490-4700 John and Archero. They do great work and are lower cost than the outfit in Fairbanks. They did a great one off for a center console boat I had.