Thread: Honda 35 upgrade to 50 hp?

Default Honda 35 upgrade to 50 hp?

Hi guys; was curious about what it takes to up the 35 honda to 50 hp? Seems like the older versions you see on the Kenai are 35/50; must be the same powerhead, etc. Reason I'm asking is I'm looking at a boat with the 35 and want to know if it's possible to crank up the ponies; the motor doesn't have the 35/50 decals, just the 35 if that means anything.
    Thanks for any input on this!
    Jim

Is it possible that the Hondas designated 35/50 started life as factory jet motors, 35 at the jet, 50 powerhead? Outboard jets lose 30% give or take, that's 15HP= 35? Don't know enough about the Hondas and how they interuse the same components on different motors but seems logical.

Most of those older motors started life as 50 HP motors and they were Required to de-tune them so they only put out 35HP or less to meet the old regs for the Kenai.. This was mainly due to the fact that at some time in the past they quit making 35HP motors and so you had to buy a bigger one and put the de-tuning kit on them.
    When the regs changed they just had to remove the de-tuning kit and then they had 50HP again.
    If your motor did not start life as a 50HP then I don't think you will be able to make it a 50HP.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I have a friend that has an older 35. He had Ron's Honda bring it up to 45 with some carb work. I think it was as simple as changing the jetting. It would have been a bit more work and cash to bring it up to a 50. You could always give Ron's honda a shout or stop by when you bring your tanned hide back to the mainland.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    Hi guys; was curious about what it takes to up the 35 honda to 50 hp? Seems like the older versions you see on the Kenai are 35/50; must be the same powerhead, etc. Reason I'm asking is I'm looking at a boat with the 35 and want to know if it's possible to crank up the ponies; the motor doesn't have the 35/50 decals, just the 35 if that means anything.
    Thanks for any input on this!
    Jim
    Honda made a 3 cylinder 35 hp outboard. The difference in performance was found in the carbs, the CDI box, compression differences, and the cam. If you are going to buy these components piece by piece from Honda, it is going to cost a fortune. Heck, you may as well get a new motor. I remember looking into a new carb for my 45 and it was like 3,000,000 dollars or something. BTW the new 40/50 is different enough for it to be significant than the old 35/40/45 powerheads.

hmmmm, thanks for the advice guys! Will check into Ron's and see what they can do; seems like as the deals pop up on the 'net, I'm too behind the 8 ball to snag 'em but will try to correct that shortly. Pete, have to say that the "love" is overwhelming. That's okay, spent all day yesterday in Hanalei Bay hanging out at the beach & surfing, sorry.

Jim

Be sure to check to see that it is not already a 50 HP with 35 HP stickers. Back in the day Yamaha and Honda made 45 & 50 hp motors and the "de-tune" was a restriction cam on the throttle linkage. My 3 cylinder Yamaha has 35 HP sickers on the cowling but it is a 45 HP with the stock cam. Most had the lesser HP stickers put on their cowling for the Kenai restrictions.
    Last edited by Alaskan Fly Guy; 03-06-2011 at 10:26. Reason: I can't spell...

Many of the 35 to 50 conversions are only a linkage change out, all the 35 linkage did was limit the RPM of the 50. My 50 Yamaha was easy to get back from the 35 it used to be. Check out some of the shops around the Kenai, for old 50 links, they might have sold them all since I went in and got mine for free.

I don't think you guys get it....Honda made a 35....not a detuned 50, 45, 40 or whatever, but a Honda 35 with its own carbs, cam profile, and a different CDI box. It wouldn't hurt to check to see if it was detuned, but it is probably not. That advice is great. And BTW, most of the old 3 cylinder hondas did not start life as a 50 hp outboard, since they didn't even have one then.

I had a '97 35hp Honda. It was not detuned as T.R. Bauer states. Big Jim I wouldn't mess with it if it's a straight 35. Buy yourself an actual 50 and the problem is solved for maximum Kenai horsepower.

I have a set of 1991 Honda 35HP Outboards the most I could improve HP was 45 HP, $1500 in new carbs from Rons Honda I have my old 35 HP carbs for sale on the classified section.