Thread: cheap fuel drums

Default cheap fuel drums

I've seen some people mention before that car washes are a good place to get plastic drums for hauling fuel. Here they are
    http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/2244278404.html

15 or 30 gal drums for 15 bucks!

I just got 4 of the 15's.

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    I've seen some people mention before that car washes are a good place to get plastic drums for hauling fuel. Here they are
    http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/2244278404.html

15 or 30 gal drums for 15 bucks!

I just got 4 of the 15's.
    What did they have in them before you got them? If it was wax be VERY diligent about rinsing them out with gasoline several times before you commit to depending on them for clean fuel. A friend of mine got some similar containers that he used for gas without rinsing them well. The wax dissolved into suspension, then ended up in his carburetor jets where it built up until no fuel would pass, forward motion activity got quiet and the work started. I ended up doing the work and it was not pretty. I can only imagine what it would have been like in a fuel injected engine. Cheap may not be so much in the end.

I get them from a hotel in Anchorage, use a commercial degreaser and wash/rinse each one three times and let air dry upside down and have never had any trouble. 15 gallon drums are the best for me as they are easy to move around; I have eight of them.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

What are the approximate dimensions of the 15 gal ones?

I have five 30g drums. I washed them with soap and very hot water 180f, I did it at work so it was not a hassle. I then rinsed with some sacrificial gas. I have never had a problem since. Last season was their fourth and final season. I am replacing them this year. One very important thing is to store them inside a shed or under a cover, protecting them from sunlight. UV will break them down. I met two boaters on the Yukon ,last year, that had issues with plastic tanks. One of the boaters had a 30g drum break open on the return trip near Rampart. Not only did he have 30g of gasoline in his bilge he didn't have enough left over to make it to the bridge. The other boaters had the same thing happen years before and had switched over to metal.

Akjeff,

Good points. We always cover our's with tarps to keep off the sunlight as well. No one in our group ever had a problem with a drum splitting open. Most likely because the caps did not fit tight enough to allow them to swell due to expanding fuel.
    Will add the majority of our drums go into the campfire as soon as they are emptied so it is rare the drums even last a couple of years.

The beauty of using these inexpensive drums is they can be burned up as they are emptied allowing more room on the boat. We just keep as many as we need to make the return run back to the bridge.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by akfishin View Post
    What are the approximate dimensions of the 15 gal ones?
    14.5" diameter x 27" tall
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanOutdoorsman View Post
    14.5" diameter x 27" tall
    Same as my first wife.............Hehehehehe

Now that's funny; thanks for the laugh!

+1!

The 15 gallon drums worked great on my recent hunting trip. My friends bought me 4 of them before coming to Kodiak, and it was a great piece of mind to have the extra fuel on board. Thanks!

[QUOTE=OzAK;901764]What did they have in them before you got them? If it was wax be VERY diligent about rinsing them out with gasoline several times before you commit to depending on them for clean fuel. A friend of mine got some similar containers that he used for gas without rinsing them well. The wax dissolved into suspension, then ended up in his carburetor jets where it built up until no fuel would pass, forward motion activity got quiet and the work started. I ended up doing the work and it was not pretty. I can only imagine what it would have been like in a fuel injected engine. Cheap may not be so much in the end.[/QUOTE

About 5-6 years ago my Osprey quit on me down toward the south end of Montague. I knew that it was a fuel problem, but I could not see what was causing it. After several hours I started up the kicker and headed back toward Whittier. I was trying everything that I could think of to fix it along the way. I removed the brass honeycomb style filter from the carb and it looked perfectly clean. I decided not to put it back in, and fired it up and away we went. Not until now, did it dawn on me what the hell the problem was. I used a drum from Lazer wash. I did wash and rinse it, but obviously not good enough. I am sure that the wax clogged up the micro sized holes, but I could not see it. Thanks for sharing.