Thread: Muzzle Brake Damage

Default Muzzle Brake Damage

Any ideas on how solid a muzzle brake is, ie. will a fall off the s.cushman benches knock it out of whack? had my 338wm punching the smallest of groups and my hunting bud said hey let me shoot. Well thats not all he did, dropped the gun right on the crown off the brake. won't shoot worth a **** now. He was able to bang everything else on the gun too, scope, bolt, stock!
    Thanks for any info.

Quote Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
    Any ideas on how solid a muzzle brake is, ie. will a fall off the s.cushman benches knock it out of whack? had my 338wm punching the smallest of groups and my hunting bud said hey let me shoot. Well thats not all he did, dropped the gun right on the crown off the brake. won't shoot worth a **** now. He was able to bang everything else on the gun too, scope, bolt, stock!
    Thanks for any info.
    I know too easy but.....Might be as simple as readjusting your scope. did you try that?
    Hunt not with a gun big enough for what you are hunting, hunt with a gun big enough for what may be hunting you!

Default Damage

Most muzzle brakes are merely a barrel extension. The crown is within the brake and should not have been damage.Make sure there is no bullet strike on the muzzle brake (It would be out of alignment with bore), try shooting a couple of groups without the brake. The unseen culprit is probably within your optics. The scope may have unseen damage, wth internal damage. Try removing the present scope and replaceing it and take the rifle back to the range, BUT hold onto it (keep it out of greasy hands). See if this repairs your problem. If so,it means you need to send your scope for repair.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !