Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big game commercial services brd

Default Big game commercial services brd

The Big Game Commercial Services Board will be meeting 15-17 March in Fairbanks. The meetings are being held in the Wood Center on the University of Alaska.

i heard they are talking of making areial spotting of spring bear legal in some areas at this meeting....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Not certain under what authority, other than possibly "ethics" "...making areial spotting of spring bear legal..." could be considered by the BGCSB.
    I just checked the BGCSB website and couldn't find the meeting agenda. I do know the workshops have been scheduled with one being given by ADF&G on aging and the legal definition of Dahl's sheep. Still nothing scheduled for telling the difference between brown/grizzly bears, or, in the category of "field safety" why it is isn't prudent to "jump up and down on the ice" (in deep water) to see if it is strong enough to support our weight - or - why it may not be the best procedure the "draw a circle" around an infection each day to "see" just how much it is spreading. Though, guess one could draw a "dotted line" to use as bench mark as to how much of the arm they could live without.
    Joe

dang i wanted to see the brown bear grizzly bear difference workshop...crud.
    i talked with karl and he mentioned the arieal spotting deal. it'd have to go under ethics i think, since they've been doing it for years and hasn't been curtailed much. hard to enforce.
    jumpin up and down on the ice..i have jury duty this month, maybe some one can tape that one and put it on youtube for me...
    Master guide 212

I dropped a line to Karl to see if they were going to post the agenda.

Joe, what's your take on allowing it ethically for guides to spot bears from the air?

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post

Joe, what's your take on allowing it ethically for guides to spot bears from the air?
    Interesting, so would this be a major departure from the current practice of doing multiple passes around the valley to check for "wind and strip condition"...

"...dang i wanted to see the brown bear grizzly bear difference workshop...crud..."

See it! Had hope you would give it! "Youtube" a great idea. Maybe during a lunch break you could make the video and post it on youtube so we all could benefit. Your "compadre" Nienfooter might have pictures you could use for a workshop on determining "how big is my infection today".
    Had hoped you would be able to make the meeting.
    Joe

Ethics? Not certain why the guide part of your inquiry - but - personally I've not used or am I going to use a plane for spotting bears regardless of what actions may be taken by the board. If the "bottom line" is the long term well-being of the resource, probably makes no difference if they use helicopters - however, seasons will be a lot shorter and permits inevitable.
    Depending on the degree to which the "advice" is accepted and put to practice, the irresponsible advice given by you and several others regarding the use of smaller calibers for harvesting brown bears may have a much greater negative impact on bear resources, especially from the position of wounding loss.
    Too bad. Regardless of an individual's attitude towards bears they deserve better. Your analogy of size traps recommended and rifle calibers for bears was another of example of "garbage". I know better and am reasonably certain you do also - if not I apologize.
    Joe

joe i was actually hopin' you'd answer his question with a straight answer. perhaps you have a postin' infection thats spread to far...
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    joe i was actually hopin' you'd answer his question with a straight answer. perhaps you have a postin' infection thats spread to far...
    ladies and gentleman....joe want.

come on ninefoot, shouldn't you be on bed rest takin' meds....?
    Master guide 212

Dear Joe,

Sigh....

Hey JOE, with all the "notes" you keep on our friends, Bushrat, Jake, and ninefoot, let me know if you run low on paper. But then I'm sure you keep supplied at STAPLES.LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    Hey JOE, with all the "notes" you keep on our friends, Bushrat, Jake, and ninefoot, let me know if you run low on paper. But then I'm sure you keep supplied at STAPLES.LOL
    Decided probably a "lost cause"! Though had switched to electronic note keeping out of respect for the forrest resources required for paper production. Thankfully the outcome was apparently positive with the hand infection - it is hard to dispel the "image" of each day diligently keeping track with a magic marker or "sharpie" an advancing infection - . It would also be interesting to know just how many bears one has to shoot with a 6.5mm before being comfortable enough to suggest to the general public the rifle is adequate for bear protection.
    Weather is fantastic here! Soon it will be spring!
    Joe

6.5mm why so much gun?
    Master guide 212

Just think----Getting Jake, ninefoot and Mark at the coffee table. I want to be at the next table LMAO

How did I do that? I posted before including the "GUEST" of honor MR.Joe Want.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    come on ninefoot, shouldn't you be on bed rest takin' meds....?
    apparently...err. something.

Quote Originally Posted by wantj43
    It would also be interesting to know just how many bears one has to shoot with a 6.5mm before being comfortable enough to suggest to the general public the rifle is adequate for bear protection.
    Joe, sure would have been fun to hear you argue with guys like Jack O'Connor.

Lighten up man, you'll live longer.
    Last edited by Brian M; 03-06-2011 at 22:27.

[SIZE=4][FONT=Times New Roman]

Joe, sure would have been fun to hear you argue with guys like Jack O'Connor.
    Lighten up man, don't let them panties get all bunched up on ya, you'll live longer.

Not certain what "Jack O'Connor" has to with the posting. When I read of 6.5mm being suggested for protection from bears I envision an animal being wounded and unnecessarily suffering.
    Joe
    Last edited by Brian M; 03-06-2011 at 18:39. Reason: referenced deleted comment

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast