Thread: atv moose hunt

Lightbulb atv moose hunt

Okay, I realize many people wouldn't want to give away there secret hunting spot, but Alaska is BIG, therefore there must be room for 2 more hunters.

My situation is this: me (resident) plus my father in law (non resident) are planning to drive out on atv's, camp for 10 days at least, while hunting moose. I am from Eagle River, but am willing to drive wherever we can get access to a good hunting area, which will allow us a decent chance (30%) of a successful harvest. We will begin our hunt the second week of September.

Any suggestions?? We have 2 weeks set aside in June to do some scouting.

Alaska is big, but the road system is small. The truth is that there are very few "secret" spots along the road system, especially spots that have atv access. Unless someone shares some great tidbit on here, I'd use that time in June (and weekends in July and August) to check out new trails. Ride a bunch of different areas and find your own little honey hole. There are lots of moose within reach of the road system, but there are lots of atv hunters as well. You won't be alone, but that doesn't mean you can't be successful. Good luck!

-Brian

Lots of places to go with ATV's. Just make sure you both have winches installed as I learned my lesson the hard way about that!
    You will both need meat wagons as well. Scout out an area off the Denali highway or go deep in back of Eureka from the lodge past little Nelchina.
    Tennessee

Look at the harvest reports off the road system,then point your nose towards Delta....good luck

Delta is your best bet, as the moose density is higher than anywhere in the state right now. Unit 13 (Denali or Eureka) is not open to your non-res family or friends. Lots of places to explore in and around Delta. One good trail out of Ft Greely. South of the fort, yet on mil ground. The MPs know where it is and will help you out with a map of the area. Lots of river beds, that make good atv roads north and east and west of Delta Jnct. Next best bet would be around Chicken. Long way in, but lot of moose. No problem getting one or two in either area, with two weeks to hunt. Pt Mckensie near Wasilla has a very high density of moose, but it is flat and timbered. Makes hunting hard and opportunistic, rather than spot and stalk. Yet if that is your preferred method to hunt, it would be a good location to check out. You need to get off the wheelers and hunt. Most using ATV's seem to just go riding, rather than hunting. Don't expect to run across too many big bulls on the atv trails. It happens, but not often. Last option would be in the Wrangels along the Nebezna road. Check with parkies at the junction, they will issue you a permit and let you know where you can hunt.

Default thank you all

Thank you all for your response. A friend at work suggested Healy in game mgt area 20A...says it is wide open for atv's. I appreciate you all pointing me in a general direction. Will have almost a month in June to check out some of your suggestions...will hopefully post some pictures in Sept of our hunt.

Default Problem with scouting in June

It can be hard to do much scouting in June because the ground is so wet everything is a swamp and the rivers are high with runoff. Water levels drop quite a big in the fall and that opens areas that were not accessable in the early summer. Just something to think about and Make sure you have a wench. Happy scouting, I can't wait to get out I have cabin fever bad.

Steve