Thread: Alliant 2000-MR & the 308

Default Alliant 2000-MR & the 308

I am going to start reloading this year and plan to start with the 308. I have been looking at loads and the Alliant 2000-MR is looking pretty interesting. I am curious how it performs in AK temperatures and if anyone has any pet loads for it aside from those listed on the Alliant website. I am curious what it would do behind a 165 Accubond. The Fusion loads published are pretty impressive, over 3,000fps for the 150's.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...1&cartridge=80

Hmmm, one old thread on this and it had the same number of responses.... Nobody playing w/ this stuff?

I've been meaning to try 2000-MR, but I've got a pile of RL15 to burn up, and '15 works so well that I might not ever get around to trying the 2000-MR.

Never tried it in anything, in 308 I use mostly 180s and these powders with very good results:
    4895 is my favorite because it works very well in a number of things I load also.
    RL-17 gave fastest velocities best 308 powder I’ve tried but others have had no luck with it.
    Other good ones are RL-15, Benchmark, 4064, W748 all do very well.

Part of the fun of reloading is playing with different powders so get some and play BUT . . . if your new to reloading I’d advise you start with something conventional and well known to get going. That way there are a lot of us that can help you iron things out when you have issues, then once your ammo is working good start playing with stuff.

Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I haven't tried this powder yet, but 3060 fps for a 150 grain bullet in a 308 Win is definitely smokin'! They also list 2750 fps for a 180 grain and that is smokin' too! My only question is, do they mean a Federal fusion 150 grain bullet (which I have never heard of), or what Federal uses in the 150 grain Fusion ammo? Federal list 2700 fps for the Fusion 150 grain in 308W. Alliant says 2960 fps for a Sierra SPBT 150 grain. Alliant has some really good powders for sure. Some guys are getting 2600-2700 fps with 208 grain Amax or 210 grain Bergers using reloder 17! Read about it here;
    http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...1299481&page=1

more here;
    http://www.6mmbr.com/reloder17.html

I have some RL 17 but haven't been to the range with it yet. For the lighter weight bullets, 2000-MR sounds like it might be the ticket. These new powders are double base and burn extremely clean.

LuJon,

My long range load for the 308 is a Berger VLD 175gr over RL-15, I shoot a 1:10 twist 20" Ruger.

I have been experimenting with 8208XBR and a lighter 155gr Berger VLD's with great success. Velocities are a bit slower than other powders tested but results are better than 1/2 moa. The pic is a 4 shot 100 yard group.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3190198.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	46465

The 8208XBR is said to be immune from temperature changes, I have no proof to offer. Rumors about the new 2000MR claim to get 30-06 velocities out of a 308, time will tell.

The folowing information is from the IMR web site:

IMR 8208 XBR The latest in the versatile IMR line of fine propellants, this accurate metering, super short grained extruded rifle powder was designed expressly for match, varmint, and AR sniper cartridges. Ideally suited for cartridges like the 223 Remington/5.56mm, 308 Winchester/7.62mm NATO and the 6mm PPC, shooters will find IMR 8208 XBR totally insensitive to changes in temperature, while yielding max velocities and “tack driving” accuracy. Clearly, the competitor’s “choice” and the Varmint Hunter’s “dream powder”.

I've had good luck with varget and 175 grain MK's and 168 grain TSX's.

I have used the 2000MR but range time in the 308 has been limited. I have used it mostly in the 168 grainers and I'm pretty sure I use 50 grains(I can check tomorrow). So far the results have been more than satisfactory. This is the first ball powder out that is temperature insensitve. It is as close to an extruded powder as possible when it comes to the temparture sensitivity. So you got the temp thing going and it meters awesome, so no more single stage press, it works great in a Dillon. Pic is of a five shot group with it. Not as good as Marshals but it will do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Good group.jpg