Thread: Wassup at Remington?

Default Wassup at Remington?

Whilst recently perusing the Rem. web site, I noticed that they were listing the Mountain LSS and the Ak Ti as "Discontinued".
    Anyone have any info on this?
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

There are a lot of mistakes on the Remington site, however, that is correct, Big Green has discontinued both of these models. TS

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

Remington ain't what it used to be. Not even close. The people running that thing have their heads somewhere that sunlight can pentrate.

Remington is owned by a financail group. More than likely the top management of the financial group does not know how to load a rifle. They only look at profits. If something is not selling enough, then it is history. Financial groups also have a reputation of slowly draining off profits to benefit themselves personally before selling off a shell of a company.

It is a shame but it is the way things seem to be done today.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

If a particular model doesn't sell enough to run with it it, they drop it. I'm a hardcore Remington user and I've seen Remington has done this numerous times in the 40 years I've been using their rifles & shotguns. As a lefty I tend to get the short end of the discontinued stick pretty often. My most prized rifle is a discontinued LE 700LSS (the grey/black laminated stock that I love) in 270 that my wife gave me on our wedding day 11 years ago.

Back in the early 80s Remington made a run of LH BDLs in 22-250. I bought one of the first and killed the hell out of fox & coyote with it for about 12 years, then sold it for a cash amount I figured I couldn't refuse. Little did I realize it was a one time run, I never saw another until 2000, when I found a used one the day it was traded in at a nearby gunshop, and paid new gun money to get it. After a good cleaning, it has proven to be as accurate as my original. I garantee I won't be selling this one!

Remington does continue a marketing masterstroke of offering a limited one time run yearly of a 700 chambered in something a little unusual. My wife got herself one of these limited one time run 700s a couple years ago, a RH 700LSS (the grey/black stock) in 257 Wby Mag. These rifles were almost sold out on backorder before they started to hit the dealer's shelves...

In the world of guns it is trim the lean instead of trim the fat. The tacti-cool guns are the "in"specialty these days more so than light weight mountain rifles. Any fat slob can sit for hours knocking holes in paper or trying to bang plates while eating a cheese burger. More Americans are fat than fit so it makes sense that the light rifle is not mainstream. Read a gun rag, 4 out of 5 articles are heavy barrel removable magazine something or others. Bean counters like those running remmy these days just want to sell more of the stuff that sells the best and they can't sell light weight rifles to the masses because the masses don't climb mountains they "might" climb a ladder to a stand or box. Those guys won't pay more for a "less accurate" rifle (according to gun writers) just to shave a pound, but they will pay lots more for a rifle that Joe Long-range used to shoot a plate at 1000 yards! I mean heck, with a bull barrel, pictinny rail, Harris Bipod and a Huskemaw scope you don't need a light rifle! Just back the truck up to the side of the road at a "scenic overlook" and shoot your elk from there!!!

Kind of wish I bought more Rem 700 Alaskan Ti's when they had them all over the place up here.....Now you might get lucky to see them on Gunbroker.com

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    In the world of guns it is trim the lean instead of trim the fat. The tacti-cool guns are the "in"specialty these days more so than light weight mountain rifles. Any fat slob can sit for hours knocking holes in paper or trying to bang plates while eating a cheese burger. More Americans are fat than fit so it makes sense that the light rifle is not mainstream. Read a gun rag, 4 out of 5 articles are heavy barrel removable magazine something or others. Bean counters like those running remmy these days just want to sell more of the stuff that sells the best and they can't sell light weight rifles to the masses because the masses don't climb mountains they "might" climb a ladder to a stand or box. Those guys won't pay more for a "less accurate" rifle (according to gun writers) just to shave a pound, but they will pay lots more for a rifle that Joe Long-range used to shoot a plate at 1000 yards! I mean heck, with a bull barrel, pictinny rail, Harris Bipod and a Huskemaw scope you don't need a light rifle! Just back the truck up to the side of the road at a "scenic overlook" and shoot your elk from there!!!
    Could not have said it better myself, nor could I agree more, Lujon. This goes right along with our instant gratification society. Long hard work isn't the way to master a craft, use every short cut possible and get just good enough to be marginally satisfactory as quickly & easily as possible, without actually learning...

I tried to get on of those cute little M40s a while back and was told it was just a flash in the pan one time run. I guess they didn't suit the bean counters either. I dislike the huge conglomerate taking over out long established gun companies. Bangor-Punta just about ruined S&W. I think this parent company that owns Remington also bought Dakota and DPMS.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Lujon, you know you just pissed off a whole bunch of way fat, shoot em from the road guys that carry rifles with crowbar barrels and scopes that can do Murphy math at the touch of a button. It's OK though because they're not hunters in the first place. They could probably buy a video game that would do pretty much do the same thing from the couch....while eating that cheesburger. It might save a few elk from wandering the woods with a hole in their butt as well. (Sorry Murphy, that was meant as a compliment!)

I went out to the garage a while back and got a tub full of old magaizines out of the attic. I found stuff in those old gun/hunting magazines that just pleasured me something fierce. There was Jeff Cooper's article on scout rifles, Jack O' talking about the rifleman's rifle............now every gun rag that comes in the mail either has a black rifle or a tactical rifle on the front page. Yes they have their place but a good mix of blued steel and walnut would keep me buying their magazines.

The one thing that scares me about all of these gun manufactures consolidating under one roof when that roof belongs to people that sell only products and could care less about guns as we know them or the 2nd Amendment. That is, what happens when they milk it for all it's worth...run it in the ground and decide to sell? Whats going to keep a conglomerate of Ted Turners from buying it up for political reasons and then desolving it and using it as a write off along with satisfying their political ambitions.

I thought this fine group of forum members all came to the conclusion remingtons were junk cause they were not crf... Also just because "YOU" guys like It doesn't mean everyone else likes it... As far as fat slob hunters I laugh hey Lujon what kind of wheeler you ride again exactly we are all fat slob hunters look in the mirror first...

Quote Originally Posted by NDTerminator View Post
    My most prized rifle is a discontinued LE 700LSS (the grey/black laminated stock that I love) in 270 that my wife gave me on our wedding day 11 years ago.
    Remington does continue a marketing masterstroke of offering a limited one time run yearly of a 700 chambered in something a little unusual. My wife got herself one of these limited one time run 700s a couple years ago, a RH 700LSS (the grey/black stock) in 257 Wby Mag. These rifles were almost sold out on backorder before they started to hit the dealer's shelves...
    My .280 was one of those "Limited Edition" 700 LLS runs. Fantastic rifle.
    24" barrel, was a bit of a pig to carry until I put a Lone Wolf stock on it.
    Looking at the Rem line-up, they sure do have a lot of ugly rifles there. Lots of cam stocks etc. I really loved the look of the Mountain LSS, might have to go pick one up, just because.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Kind of wish I bought more Rem 700 Alaskan Ti's when they had them all over the place up here.....Now you might get lucky to see them on Gunbroker.com
    K-

When I was going to the NCOA on Elmo back in 2007, Remington announced they were not going to sell the Titanium's anymore. I ended up buying 5 long actions and 2 short actions for $5K from the Elmo BX. Then Remington came out with the Alaskan TI more then doubling in price. I was so glad I bought those rifles. My gunsmith offered me $12K for the 7 I had bought from the BX. I passed. I since have bought 2 more long actions off Gunbroker. With the rifles I had previous, I own 13 total. 5 have been turned into full custom rifles. The other 8 will eventually be full customs........I love Remington Titaniums!!!