Thread: H4350 and the 264WM

Default H4350 and the 264WM

I have a 264 winnie that used to belong to my grandfather, it is built on a VZ 24 mauser action. Anyway I want to start loading for it. I have a pile of 140 gr speer grand slams. My Speer book lists Imr 4350 as a suitable powder among others but I have several pounds of H4350 I would like to use. The manual lists 55.0 grains as max with the IMR, where should I start with the Hodgdon's? Thanks for any help.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

I'd go to the Hodgdon site for loads, but my "impression" is that H4350 is a tiny bit slower than IMR. It's been a long time since I bought either powder, so no telling what's going on with current lots.

I used to shoot a 264 lots, but in those days surplus 4831 was about the slowest thing around. It worked better in my gun than either 4350, but of course, it isn't available today. I bring that up because my gun always "felt" like it wanted something even slower than 4831. You might look into the slower RL powders available today and see what they look like for the 264. That would probably be my first step if I started loading it again.

I have used RL 25 with all bullets from 120gr-140gr and had excellent results and they chronograph very fast.

I know I've had good luck with 4831 in the past, but thought the H4350 might work well since I've had good luck with IMR 4350 out of a 300 win mag. I guess I'll just have to start playing around when the weather gets a little better.

I have loaded for the 264 Win. and have used the 4350 powders for it. I prefer working with the cartridge with a little slower powders. any 4350 is a little on the fast side for the expansion ratio of the 264. H4831 is very good along with RL-22 and RL-25. But.....if you have that H4350 and would like to try it i'll offer this.

There are three 4350 powders....I believe they have three different burn rates. Also I think they have changed places on the burning scale over the years. More recent lots of both seem to make H4350 the fastest, then IMR, the AA the slowest of the three. Just info if you can't get recent load data for H4350 and your 264.

Nosler's #6 manual lists, with their 140 partition, 52.0 grains of H4350 as max with velocity of 2930 fps. On the same page, same bullet, lists 57.0 grains of IMR 4350 as max with a velocity of 2980 fps. By comparison, IMR 4831 is listed with 59.0 grains as max and a velocity of 2970 fps.

Hodgdon's does publish date but they may or may not have published data with this particular propellant in the 264. If you call they can give you lots of info over the phone.

Thanks for the information Murphy, you are always full of good information and help.