Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beads

Default Beads

What is the best size bead, to use for Rainbows?
    I have read, that the Sockeye salmon eggs are 6mm.
    Is it best to use size 6 or go biggger---8mm or 10mm?
    Any suggestions on the best colors. I am trying to limit the amount of beads, I carry to 6 different colors.

Bill

If you want to catch fish, you must have 7.2 mm beads.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    If you want to catch fish, you must have 7.2 mm beads.

OK, I was pulling his leg a bit. 7 mm beads are all that are needed.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Troutbeads is adding several new colors to their line up this year. In addition to that, they are adding 12mm to all colors and and 14mm as a new size. The new colors look great.

Bead size is dependent on what is spawning during that time of year you are fishing. If I had to limit myself to one size, I would have to say 8mm. I believe that anything smaller then that, the fish might not even be able to see the bead coming through the zone, but I have caught many fish on 6mm beads. I've done my best on the 8mm size here in Southcentral. If you are fishing for Steelies however, bigger the bead the better chances of catching fish, IMO... :0

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    Bead size is dependent on what is spawning during that time of year you are fishing. If I had to limit myself to one size, I would have to say 8mm. I believe that anything smaller then that, the fish might not even be able to see the bead coming through the zone, but I have caught many fish on 6mm beads. I've done my best on the 8mm size here in Southcentral. If you are fishing for Steelies however, bigger the bead the better chances of catching fish, IMO... :0

Fish On!

going to get a bead kit for steelhead, recommendations?

Here is something to give you ideas...

http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com...uct-flyer.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bill K. View Post
    I am trying to limit the amount of beads I carry to 6 different colors.
    Bill

Blasphemy

You need at least 37 colors of beads...

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Here is something to give you ideas...

http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com...uct-flyer.html
    What he said...I have one coming in the mail this week. Worked very well last year.

I've also seen some Magnum Trout Beads on their website that look pretty good.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

While I jest, surely, the below post is what convinced me to roll my own (in 7mm). There is too much indecision among folks when it comes to bead size. I read between the lines a bit and came up with my twist on it. Folks can't agree because the commonly sold sizes (especially 6 and 8 mm) are neither correct. I also read some non fishing related articles that suggested sockeye eggs were closer to 7 mm than 6 or 8. Granted, it was a winter time obsession and all. But the beads did work very well and it allowed me to get some nervous energy applied to something productive.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ighlight=beads

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    going to get a bead kit for steelhead, recommendations?
    Like with most beading applications I have found that the correct presentation is much more important than color. Having said that in my opinion the bigger the bead the better for steelhead, something in the 12-14 mm range and certainly no smaller than 10mm. I have incidentally caught resident fish while fishing very large beads for steelhead but have never caught a steelie while fishing 6mm or 8mm beads while targeting dollies and bows in streams where I know steelhead are present.

My favorite and most productive size would have to be 12 mm in either a natural roe or bright red. I like this rigged with a snelled owner ssw 4/0 bead hook. I have also had good luck on large green beads for both rainbows and steelhead.

I fish everything from 6's to 14's for steel, with 10's and 12's being my preference.

I don't fish hooks larger than 2's. - too much potential for brain-gaffing or eye-poking with a bigger hook.

I carry a wide (WIDE) range of colors and sizes, 6mm to 14mm from matte black all the way to white, and have caught steel on all of them. Different light, different water color, different temps, different substrate colors, different canopy colors, different sexes...all these things warrant a color or size change. A fella can get by fishing one color bead in one size and catch the occasional fish, but you would be doing yourself a favor to have a fairly wide spectrum at your disposal.

O.K. I got it!
    I'll make 6.5mm & 7.5mm beads, in 100 colors each!
    I like to keep things simple!
    I believe, that fishing has become way too complicated, and can get overwhelming when it comes to tackle. I am all for innovations and new idea's, but I believe the fishing industry, is more about selling tackle to the fishermen. Good marketing!
    I have cut way down on the number of flies, I carry, for salmon & steelhead and it has not changed the success rate.
    I am going to do the same for beads.
    I agree that it is more important, with the presentation, and fishing where the fish are!
    Thanks, for all of the replies.
    There is some great information here.

Bill

Bill
    My go to bead during September on the Kenai is an 8mm orange bead with white testors model primer paint.
    I do about 4 different shades (vary the amount of paint used). I just put the beads in a zip lock, add a few drops of paint, close the bag and shake then pour them out on a piece of tin foil to dry.

My main bead boxes are the small one in the center and the small one on the left.
    The small box top right is my steelhead box.

You could make bracelets at a girl scott jamboree

Since you showed us your bead kit, I will do the same....

For rainbows, I typically use 6mm when standing and working an area, 8mm when drifting, but vary from 5mm up to 10mm regularly. Standard orange/tangerine with various coatings of white works most of the time - as Drifter described.

That said - beads are cheap and easy to carry. Why limit yourself to 6 options?
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Thanks, for the photo's & suggestions.
    Here is what I am thinking as far as colors:
    Nat. Roe---Dk. Roe---Tangerine---Orange---Glow Roe---Apricot---Oregon Cheese
    I will carry in both solid colors & mottled.
    Again, I just want to limit the bead colors, just like I do with flies. I used to carry all of those different fly patterns, and found myself just using a handful of the same flies, over & over! Now I just tie & carry more of, the ones that have been successful for me.
    How many bead colors or fly patterns, can you use, in a day of fishing?
    I think we all have our favorite colors/patterns, and I think we all build a confidence level, in what we use, if it proves seccessful!
    Again, thanks for the info, and I welcome any other suggestions.

Bill

What are these bead things you guys are talking about.....Never heard of them
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

They look very similar to all the little round things that we kept finding in your boat the other week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast