Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adak in late august

Default Adak in late august

Hey guys, no permits and i really want to put the girlfriend on an animal. Ive wanted to do adak for a while and its looking like its a possibility. only have the last portion of august to go cuz shes still finishing up school, but i was curious as to what the animals are like that time of the year? any other tips. i know this its an open question but its a late night idea. thanks vance
    NRA life Member JVJ

They will be scattered, but after you get into the Gannet Lake Valley from Finger Bay you should have a good chance at seeing animals. You may also find that going into the south slopes above Shagak Bay will be productive. Locals are taking argos and ATVs into this area using the old WWII jeep roads and new trails they have made since it stopped being a refuge on that part of the island.

The animals will be prime eating. However, it will be fairly warm and wet so meat care becomes a big issue. If you have a warm sunny day you will find that Adak even has black flys. Stay out of the stream ditches that are protected from the wind and you will be fine.

Search on here for the threads that list the various locals to be contacted for lodging and on island support.

So i have been reading a bunch and studying the maps a ton, and im trying to decide if renting a wheeler is even worth it.

I know i will have to hike away from the trails so is it safe to leave a rented wheeler for a day on a trail?

also am i going to be able to get far enough south with the wheeler to spend the cash?

Thanks for the few places to look at on the map to study the island a little more. Im pretty positive this is the hunt were doing so im definately looking for more info. thanks
    NRA life Member JVJ

What you do not see on the map is the hills, Husky pass in particular, You can hike it but it takes a long time out and back if you do not stay over night, the grass is almost waist deep everywhere except the ridge tops, very hard to walk in and there are ditches hidden in the grass that you step into, with a large pack it hurts, don't ask me how I know. Do not leave your animal over night out in the open. The eagles will eat it all before you return, again don't ask me how I know. Be prepared for the wind blowing everything you have, arrows, bullets, tents, sleeping bags, cloths, if you shoot it or lay it down on the ground it is gone in seconds. The farther south you go the better your chances. The Island is starting to get crowded with hunters.

The last time I was out there it was still Navy occupied. I don't know if the townies have opened up the road from the dam at lake Bonnie Rose over to Constantine Harbor. It was an easy hiking trial when I was last there in the early 1990's, and would be a good ATV trail, but I think that land is still part of the Refuge and there are no ATVs allowed in the Refuge. The main ATV use I have heard about and read about on here is in Shagak Bay and up on Moffit. These lands were taken out of the Refuge as part of the land swap with the Aleut Corporation and the City of Adak.

The trail from Finger Bay to the south is the width of your two feet in many spots around the edge of Lake Betty, so no ATV.

As for the ATV being safely parked. You will be on an island with 160 people plus a handfull of visitors. The locals will know who's ATV it is and the visitors just need to consider that there are still a couple of bodies out there on the tundra from the 1970's that have never been found by search and reascue.

Adak is a back pack hunt, has been for decades, unless you are hunting near town on the old WWII roads on the north end of the island. By north end I mean north of the historic line that cut the island in half between the Navy land withdrawl to the north and the southern Refuge lands.

As for the hills, yes they don't stand out on USGS topo maps. That is why I like the old USFWS/Navy recreation map . It clearly shows just how tight those contour lines are as well as the former land split line. The distances and times on the main map were accurate when I was 18 (a very long time ago).

The eagles used to eat quite well off the dump offerings. Now that there are not 5,000 people's trash calling in the rats they have to eat something else. Move your meat well away from your gut pile. Even if covered with a tarp the ravens will be able to open it up and then the eagles will show up. Unless you are up hight on a hill, or next to a good sized stream like the one dumping out of Gannet lake, there are no rocks so bring good stakes for keeping any kind of tarp from blowing away.

I don't know how the animals are doing now with the higher population than when I lived there. Their body mass is probably still up there, which means a cow will be much bigger than one of her distant cousins up on the Denali highway. If you drop one in Gannet valley it might be three meat packing trips for the two of you to get it all to the end of the road in Finger Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by gerberman View Post
    Do not leave your animal over night out in the open. The eagles will eat it all before you return, again don't ask me how I know.
    I would further this by saying do not leave your animal unattended at all if possible. While cleaning my animal last November, I had eagles landing 10 feet away just waiting for me to leave. About 2 minutes after I was done and walked away you could barely even tell that there had been a kill there. Pretty amazing to watch.

I hunted Adak last year late Aug- early Sept. We rented a truck and hiked from finger bay around Betty Lake and into the Gannet Lake area and beyond everyday for a week. I never loosed an arrow, but my two pards managed to kill 4 small bou with their rifles. I'm a fairly avid alpine guy and I thought this was a pretty physical hunt. All the critters we killed where "eaters" with no real trophies being taken by our group. In fact I never saw any big bulls.

Bottom line; I would go again, but I was glad that my girlfriend was at home.
    Alpine is awesome...

thanks for the info, im still looking at maps. beau how much did you pay for a rental truck?

in my mind im hiking out and spending a night or few off the road system so i dont have to go back to a room. This is all weather dependent of course and this would give me the advantage over hiking more terrain.

The ultimate goal is for both of us to shoot a caribou, but she is the first shooter as she has no big game kills yet. But any more info is appreciated.
    NRA life Member JVJ

I've done the hunt a couple of times. If you're looking for an adventure and good quality meat, go for it. If you're looking for a big bull there are much better hunts. Another option that a lot of people don't consider is going east. From talking to a lot of the locals, I hear the far east side side of the island has a decent amount of caribou and doesn't get hunted very hard. Can't speak from experience though.

hey guys, so i bought the tickets. the two of us are there from 21-28 august. I had another question though. How are blued rifles doing as far as rust goes on the island? I want to bring the girlfriends blued 30-06 so she can shoot with her rifle. thanks vance
    NRA life Member JVJ

I think the truck was 100/day. As far as blued rifles go, a blued rifle is a blued rifle and you should always keep it oiled.
    Alpine is awesome...

I will guarantee that the Blue, Silver, Black any rifle will get soaked with water. It will be raining and the wind will be blowing. Your tent has to be the very best there is, or it will brake the poles and be flat on the ground within the first hour. Lots of water around but you will have to carry a stove to heat anything that you want warm. There are no trees to burn on the Island. Most people go back to the lodging in town to get dried out and get some sleep without the wind howling in their ears. You will be wet from the rain or the sweat from hiking up and down the hills with the tall grass. 4 years ago the road was still open up to the reservoir and beyond to the top of Husky pass. It is refuge beyond and you are not supposed to get 20feet off the road with ATV's. A number of trails and roads are on the refuge, but they are by the people that are doing it illegally. GET READY TO GET WET.

yes, im a mountain hunter so i understand the quality gear. so im used to living out of my pack. just didnt know with the salt water if the rifle would rust any quicker.I have my jetboil to keep up with the food. How about transporting the stove fuel over? just check it or do i need to buy it once i hit the island?

I wish wheelers or trucks were not so much per day. but ill figure something out. appreciate it
    NRA life Member JVJ

I am thinking of going to Adak this year as well but after the rut. Probably late October or early November. A friend of mine during the first week of November last year and was pretty successful. Any tips or local contacts? I've heard that staying in the abandoned military bunkers is doable. Has anyone done that?

Quote Originally Posted by ckreitel View Post
    I've heard that staying in the abandoned military bunkers is doable. Has anyone done that?
    Bunker is an interesting term the people use. If you go up from Roberts Housing/boat harbor towards the old Roberts dump you can find some actual bunkers with blast doors. Some of these were used as horse barns when the Navy moved from Kodiak to Adak in the 1950's. The commander brought his MWR horses with him and they all eventually suffered hoof rot so bad they were put down. When I was last in one in 1992 you could still smell the hay and horse sweat over the rat turds. By 1995 the Navy had opened the contents of the sealed bunkers and removed some items for the public safety. On past posts in this forum you will read that people have stated they have staid in them or ran into people staying in them. You are pretty close to town, but with the larger heard you may be closure to any wandering critters.

The last official bunkers in use on the island were the chemical and biological bunkers built in 1990. I helped finish them off on the inside that winter. These might be open to the public, but since they are also close to town why stay in them?

Other folks confuse quonset huts that are set down into a hole for bunkers. They are not, but there are few huts left these days after a cleanup in the 1980's. The ones that are left were recreation cabins used by us locals so that we could drink and knock boots in peace.

There there are the survival barrels out on the tundra. People call these bunkers as well. They are WWII era white cedar or redwood water tanks placed in easy to get to spots out on the tundra to provide shelter for the unprepaired. When I was in highschool the rules were that you could not stay in one or use it to camp in. Emergency use only. Ha Ha Ha.....the one in Gannet valley was usually stripped of its safety supplies within a week of the Marines restocking hike.

You aren't allowed to go in any of the old buildings. The survival barrels are pretty rough too. IMO, pony up the dough and stay in the old military housing. I'll dig up some contact info for you.
    Alpine is awesome...

Quote Originally Posted by akprideinvegas View Post
    How about transporting the stove fuel over? just check it or do i need to buy it once i hit the island?
    You cannot fly with any fuel to my knowledge. You will have to buy it once you are there. I didn't go into the general store when I was there, but I have heard that they sometimes have fuel there. It is probably hit or miss though. If you have an international stove (like a whisperlite) you might think of bringing that so you can use any type of fuel you can find.

If you're going to use the Jetboil, I'd call the general store ahead of time to check on fuel availability. When I was there, there was no butane fuel at the store. If they have some, have them set it aside for you. They did have white gas.

When I was there last August the store did not have isobuane. I made an adaptor for the jetboil to run on coleman propane fuel, 3 of us used it for 10 days on half a bottle of propane.
    Jay

awesome, what type of adapter did you make. any way you could email me a pic. This would be a good way to still be able to use my jetboil. i assume they sold coleman propane bottles on the island? vancejohnson88@hotmail.com.
    NRA life Member JVJ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast