Thread: S&w 629-2 3" 44 mag

Default S&w 629-2 3" 44 mag

I recently found a Smith & Wesson 629-2 3" 44 mag in a pawn shop in AZ. I have been trying to find some info on this gun but it is hard to come by. The SN is BEE-3xxx, it has Pachmayr grips (round butt) and If i had to guess I would say it was made in early 90's but am not sure. It is definetely a great snub nose revolver for Alaska and I am glad to have bear protection that doesn't just come in a can, any additional info on this revolver would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Zach

IMG_7095.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by zpoehler; 03-03-2011 at 23:48. Reason: posting pics

Awesome carrying and shooting guns, and you are fortunate to have found and bought it. Now get a Blade-Tech belt holster or IWB and some Cor-Bon hard cast and Silvertips, and you're set for 4 or 2 legged defense.

No, wait! I mean, that old Smith will shoot loose in no rounds at all. Why, it is probably unsafe just laying on a shelf. I'll take that thing off your hands if you want, so you can buy yourself a nice Ruger. Really, I want to help you out...

I have an older version -- a Lew Horton Model 29:

Quote Originally Posted by Whitworth View Post
    I have an older version -- a Lew Horton Model 29:

That's a sweet looking piece.

Thank you much!

The 629-2 was started in 1988, the -3 was 1990. The BEE is probably for some special run for one particular distributor. Hogue grips were introduced about 1994 and were after all went round butt, I think. That was the -6 version of the 29 or -4 0f the 629.

From memory, from what I've read from Roy jinks and John Taffin. But in any case, a nice rare find for sure. I have a blue 29 and 24 with 3" barrels with those finger grooved smooth combat grips.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Very nice Lew Horton Whitworth.
    I appreciate the info Murphy...I figured there had to be something a little different from the serial number...there was no box or info that came with it...just the revolver.

I have a matched set, identical to Whitworth's 29. Mine are M24-3 and M29-3 with those grips. I think they were made mid eighties.
    They are very packable and more practical than most realize. Sure a magnum in three inch has its draw backs but for a last ditch defense against big creatures, the handiness of the piece outweighs any noise and flash. We can shoot handloads from cowboy loads to full magnum and stay current with the piece. I find mine very pointable and often practice by dumping a cylinder full at shot shells on the ground. You can see impact and adjust and make the second shot count. I call that snake practice. A fellow on this forum made a custom leather pancake style holster for mine.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Those days were when folks called it the S&W gun of the month and collectors gave up. Wasn't a place called something like Bumble Bee that tried to keep up with Horton on special order guns?
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Thank you!

I too find it a very handy piece to carry and to use. It's a good barrel length. Look on the bright side, even if you miss your adversary, you will blind, burn, and deafen them! The stainless versions are nice as well - my brother has one that is nearly identical to mine, but stainless. Not that easy to come by nowadays.

Always liked those N frame snubs, used to have a Lew Horton 625 classic snub in 45ACP. Should have never let it go, as others have said it was packable and handy as heck, not to mention being a heck of a shooter. I once won supper and a sixpack with it by keeping 5 out of six in a 6in bull at the 100yd rifle range when I was in college. It had the same grips as Whitworth's 29 and practically lived in my tacklebox for a few summers. I dispatched more than a couple snakes and big snappin turtles with that thing

I still have a pretty good handfull of S&W fullmoon clips for it, I guess I'll have to get another one some day, sure do like the Ithaca double I traded it for though, high brass murder on ditch parrots.

You might note your 3" has a full length shroud, where the Hortons I've seen were built with the half length with turned out to nearly be full length with a 3" barrel. Started seeing these 3" N Frames in the late 80's-early 90s, when S&W started paying attention to the shortened N Frame custom shop were building and figured out that a lot of folks wanted a shorter version of their 44 Mag for carry as opposed to 6"-8-3/8" barrels commonly used in handgun hunting.

I noticed Pach. grips on your 44. I believe those are aftermarket, I could be wrong here, but I don't recall/believe S&W used Pach. signature grips on production model of the 44 Mag back then, as they do now with Hogue grips being standard on many models.

Any way you cut it, you have a very handy & carry friendly bellygun there. Check you screw tightness periodically, and shoot the hell out of it...

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I have a matched set, identical to Whitworth's 29. Mine are M24-3 and M29-3 with those grips. I think they were made mid eighties.
    They are very packable and more practical than most realize. Sure a magnum in three inch has its draw backs but for a last ditch defense against big creatures, the handiness of the piece outweighs any noise and flash. We can shoot handloads from cowboy loads to full magnum and stay current with the piece. I find mine very pointable and often practice by dumping a cylinder full at shot shells on the ground. You can see impact and adjust and make the second shot count. I call that snake practice. A fellow on this forum made a custom leather pancake style holster for mine.
    I'm not sure how much draw back the short barrels are scores of people like the 2 3/4" Ruger Alaskan, they still sell quickly and don't sit on the shelves very long. Two years ago a guy walking his dog on a running trail out behind my house shot and killed a bear with his 3" 629. Good thing to, grumpy bear and about 30 minutes later a group of high school kids came running by as that was where they trained. Article was in the ADN not sure if it was 2 or 3 years but not too long ago. Certainly saved his bacon. Love to know what round he was using.