Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: so someone mailed me a letter about my tag that i drew

Default so someone mailed me a letter about my tag that i drew

I get a letter today from a guy in fairbanks. The letter opens by congratulating me on winning a DM766 muzzleloader permit, which the area is east of the wood river.

For years the boundary has been a little west of the wood. In fact the supplement shows the boundary the way its been for years. But when you look online they changed it.

Anyway the guys is a little upset over the change and urges me to contact all the commisioners and the area biologist. he even points out the assistant commissioner even drew 4 tags this year including delta sheep. Also he is ticked that the original tag numbers for the area was supposed to be 40 but then they ended up awarding 75

I could care less really. I heard the best hunting is east of the wood any way. Should I help this guy stir the pot? Should I be ticked this guy tracked my address down and contacted me? Id like to know how he got my address.

Your address, mine and everyone that applies or won is on the PDF file released by fish and game.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Well Matt you will have to decide on the pot stirring on your own, but I will say when I opened the permits from the F&G website; my name and address info was all right there. So that should at least let you know how he got it. Jeff

Matt - Go look at the draw results @ http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...se.drawresults

Your address is on there. I bet he sent everyone that drew that tag a letter.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

oh i didnt realize that your address was up for all to see. I always thought they just listed what town you were from

I friend of mine several years ago found out he won the Delta Sheep permit when an air charter company sent him a letter...

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I friend of mine several years ago found out he won the Delta Sheep permit when an air charter company sent him a letter...
    Yep, got a letter from Seahawk Air congratulating me on my bear tag the day the results were released.

Steve
    Founding Member

Just my opinion, but, he can be ticked all he wants. It isn't going to do him or anyone else any good. Maybe he should have read the application material. It clearly says that numbers of permits can change and that conditions of the hunt can change depending on information they get after the printing of the paperwork.

I say just let him rant. There are plenty of the conspiracy theororists out there. It is more a form of entertainment for me.

Anchskier hit the nail on the head. The information put out in the flyer for the December draw is just preliminary information, based on last years data. The aerial surveys are not flown until November and the area biologists use that information plus all of the information that continues to trickle in from the hunt report cards, to decide the final location and number of permits to be issued for every hunt. It has to be that way. Additionally, at last years Region III BOG meeting the Board gave the GMU 20A biologist the authority to move that muzzleloader hunt to any of the sub-zones in the unit that he wanted, in order to locate the hunt where the largest concentration of moose are, and to cut down on the social issues involved in having the hunt in the same area year after year.

A co-worker and I also drew the DM766 tag. Did you notice the antler restrictions - I'm quite certain it was any bull in years past. Good luck, pray for snow, cya out there!

congrats matt! saw your name, good luck

Quote Originally Posted by jpost View Post
    A co-worker and I also drew the DM766 tag. Did you notice the antler restrictions - I'm quite certain it was any bull in years past. Good luck, pray for snow, cya out there!
    no i didnt, where are those at? according to the supplement non res hunters have the restrictions

I looked it up and the antler restriction is for non-res, one bull for residents.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...2&regyear=2011
    Founding Member

Atleast with the tag count being increased, hopefully you'll get into some better moose. Atleast it wasn't reduced

when you look up past years Data on this hunt it seems not many people even hunt this. Probably cause its too cold for most or they got a bull during the general season. The people that do hunt have a 50% success rate.
    Anyway i think they probablly gave out more tags due to the lack of hunter participation.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    when you look up past years Data on this hunt it seems not many people even hunt this. Probably cause its too cold for most or they got a bull during the general season. The people that do hunt have a 50% success rate.
    Anyway i think they probablly gave out more tags due to the lack of hunter participation.
    One main issue that prevents people from hunting this tag is being able to get to the hunting area. Either not enough snow for snow machines, or not cold enough to freeze the rivers. Some like me take a moose during the general season.

Good Luck
    Founding Member

Thanks for the correction guys (no antler restrictions for residents).

Like Stid said, "Either not enough snow for snow machines, or not cold enough to freeze the rivers".

Quite a few hunters, myself included, went out last November only to get rained on which threatened to melt the few inches of snow covering the trail so most of us got the heck out of there w/o any hunting. November weather and snow conditions make or break that hunt.

If anyone wants some help next year I might be up for the trip. Never been on the rex but think my rig might be just the ticket for the tricky conditions that time of year.

Founding Member

Steve that thing is awesome, I still want to see it in action some day. By the way I serve as excellent self-loading-ballast!

Quote Originally Posted by akjw7 View Post
    Steve that thing is awesome, I still want to see it in action some day. By the way I serve as excellent self-loading-ballast!
    Just PM me we can take it for a ride anyday. Without a tag we would just be camping!!!
    Founding Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast