Thread: The Chena

Default The Chena

ive been curious for years now, but havent found the time to try myself... has anyone fished the open water down town? i would like to think the water near the power plant would be warm enough year round to hold some fish.... concidering pushin a canoe out to the edge of the ice to fish from...

Quote Originally Posted by aktyler View Post
    ive been curious for years now, but havent found the time to try myself... has anyone fished the open water down town? i would like to think the water near the power plant would be warm enough year round to hold some fish.... concidering pushin a canoe out to the edge of the ice to fish from...
    All I'll say is: Have Fun, Hope the weather is nice when you go out.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

no fish but I have been super tempted to go after the ducks that hangout there with my bow but I dont suppose that would be too ethical **** morals ....

BSJ425 now that is funny!

AKtyler- Give it about another 20-30 days the fish will start moving and that area is fishable. Be safe don't have high expectation and have a plan for safety. You might have company by than but there will / should be limited fishing. Not saying I know someone who has done it or would have tried it or maybe does just there might be or is the possibility of fishing but your a little early.

BMR

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    no fish but I have been super tempted to go after the ducks that hangout there with my bow but I dont suppose that would be too ethical **** morals ....
    Okay, this is a shameless highjack.

When I was a youngster my mother sent me to spend the summer with my Aunt who lived in one of those gated neighborhoods. Well, they had a bunch of those giant Muscovy Ducks and being the hunter I am, I shot one with my trusty Red Ryder BB gun. Needless to say that did not go over well at all!!!! My Aunt made me pluck that duck and she baked it in the oven, no spices no nothing just baked to crap duck.
    I had nothing to eat but dry over cooked duck until it was all eaten.

That was a life changing event. I have never to this day killed another duck, you couldn't pay me to eat one. I still to this day think of that every time I even see a duck.

With my story over, Badger slough is usually the hot spot on the Chena as soon as the ice is off it.

Tight lines

Steve
    Last edited by stid2677; 03-09-2011 at 14:58.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Oh Shameless yet so Funny! If it makes you feel better I can not stand the taste of Duck as well. Not in the same boat per say as you and your trusty Red Ryder thank goodness.

Still laughing Steve! Thanks for sharing!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Back in the early/mid 90's, we spent a bit of time chasing burbot while dodging ice floes. It can be done, but use your head, safety wise!!!

no help needed for spring/summer fishing on the chena... have that covered... thanks tho

I was surprised at the amount of open water... if you can catch fish ice fishing on the tannana (apparently you can???) I'm sure you could on the chena

Fly fishing at -15F makes you feel like a man...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I was surprised at the amount of open water... if you can catch fish ice fishing on the tannana (apparently you can???) I'm sure you could on the chena

Fly fishing at -15F makes you feel like a man...
    Yup until your arm goes numb after six hours and you ...Accidently hook yourself in the butt...(Umm never happened to me i swear)....
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY