Thread: River Wild mod shop

Default River Wild mod shop

I will post here the different mods I will be doing to the River Wild.

Future modifications are as follows:

Scott Trim nozzle for the Hamilton 772
    Scott impellers
    Sand trap
    Wash Down Pump

Ill take pics of the progress.

First things first... Look what came in the mail today!

All these parts came from Schlagel Marine, the only US distributor for SDM parts.

I got the 770 Trim nozzzle kit with an extra insert for tuning, 2 stainless impellers, and the heavy duty steering wheel trim button kit.

Jeff Schlagel is a really nice guy, promises 100% satisfaction with every piece he sells. If I somehow don't get the performance increase I want with these parts, he said I can return them. He is pretty sure we wont have any returns though...
    09 River Wild, 3 stages, LS power

There are some really great differences between the Marine Power nozzle and the SDM trim nozzle.

First is size! You can see how much larger it really is. I will have to modify the reverse bucket a bit to get it to fit, but SDM supplies the bucket extensions for that. The nozzle has the same degree of turn, so I wont loose any steering.

In fact, the way the water will flow through the nozzle is much cleaner than the MP nozzle. Even when straight, the water path will exit the nozzle without coming into contact with rough edges or angles. There will be no intrusions into the water path.
    SDM nozzle

MP nozzle

Here at full steer, you can see how much the MP nozzle blocks the water flow.

The Scott will flow much better...no sharp edges

Side by side:

Looking in from the outlet, Scott first.

MP

Since there is no soft water here now, I plan to install the nozzle and get it ready. For testing purposes, I will start with my current setup and change one thing at a time. Ill record holeshot time to 15 mph, 25 mph, and top speed. Ill change the lead impeller and do it again, then the rear... Ill then change the nozzle out and record the data. I hope to actually put on paper the results and performance increases, just to benefit everyone. That way there is no question about the performance difference.

Ill take pics along the way! Spring is coming!!!

you will enjoy the trim nozzle, especially if you haul a load and it works great to get on step much quicker, i love my Scott 852.

Im sure I will! I wish it had a position indicator though...I suppose ill just get used to the feel of it.

Joe

Hey Joe, I've been looking for an indicator for a few years and place diverters sells a kit now. You may have to do some modifying but Tim Place was pretty confident it would work on my Sport Jet. I haven't shelled out the green backs yet do to to many irons in the fire. Also, Place sells some trick thru hulls and SS lines for plumbing your nozzle.
    http://www.placediverter.com/proddet...trim_guage_kit

a little modification to a cable operated trim indicator kit from livorsi or eddie marine would work for your sdm trim, scott has a trick trim indicator also. you will get used to trimming be feel quickly. Remember neutural trim for useful reverse operation
    http://www.livorsi.com/catalog/mi.htm

Thanks for the links guys. I saw the one from Place, looks good, but kind of spendy. I thought of just running a cable and making my own redneck style pointer, but I haven't really figured it out yet.

I should be dropping the bucket off at Greatland today for a little stretching.

Joe

I have the Scott trim nozzle on my H212 and love it, I'm sure you will too. It is the only way to go if you haul a lot.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

My bucket is at Greatland getting extended, and my reverse saddle had to be modified as well. Im on the slope now, so It should be done when I get back. Ill see about ordering the sand trap so it will be home when I get there.

Boy, I cant wait for soft water!

I test fit the nozzle, and the steering seemed to be fine, so I continued. I can still pull the clean out with it installed, so no trimming here.

So I got my bucket and reverse saddle back from the welder. They looked great and fit pretty good. The extension was fine, but there were clearance problems with the pivot ring. I broke out the grinder and fixed that up. It looks like I may loose a bit of turning in reverse, but I may try to grind out some more.

I had to install the actuator upside down, so the saddle didn't hit the fittings. It shouldn't be a problem though. I havent stuck some zip ties on it yet though...

I mounted the pump, and temp routed the lines.

I also mounted the switch. There was a small problem, but its fixed now.

I followed the wiring diagram, but the switch didn't work. Long story short, Jeff said I could keep the bad switch and he would just send me out another when a replacement arrived. So, I got curious...why wasn't this thing working? Now I didn't have to send it back, I have no warranty to ruin.

As you can see, the problem is the purple wire and blue wire should be switched on either the switch or the wiring sheet. I went and tested it out wired my way, and everything worked. I called Jeff and told him to cancel the other switch. I just re-sealed the housing, and back on it went.

Ill take some pics of the final install after it quits snowing...seems I have a habit of causing snow every time I work on this thing.

Ill post pics of the drivers seat slide install tomorrow.

Joe

I ordered a seat slider mechanism from Bentleys MFG for the suspension base I have. They told me I would have to modify the connecting linkage just a bit to make it work with my base, but they lied. It fit perfect without any extra work. The problem was, in order to maximize the 6" of for/aft travel, I needed to move the mount back 3" or so. Instead of just drilling into the floor blindly, I wanted to check to see where the fuel tank ended. Boy, I am glad I did. The seat was already mounted as far back as it could go without hitting the tank. I ended up having to make some brackets to get the thing to work. They are not River Wild quality or anything, but they work for me. I dont have access to a machine shop at home, so hand tools have to work.

I got some 1 x 2 box tubing from the welding shop and made some risers.

I made some cuts in the sides to access the studs to mount the slide.

I had to "fix" an extra wrench to fit the nuts since they were so close to the inner wall on the riser

After bolting those on, I was ready to mount the seat.

The rest was easy. It took a bit more work to make sure it was all alligned before tightening the hardware and prevent any binding. I may end up making some more later out of 1 x 3 or something so I can have a bit more wiggle room for alignment and make it slide even smoother, but it works for now.

It raised the seat about 2 inches total, but you really cant notice it too much.

So, I didn't get on ordering the sand trap soon enough, so it will arrive while I am away at work. After that, I will drive as far south as I have to so I can find some open water. If the weather stays nice, I may be able to get on a local lake, but right now, there is probably still 2 feet of ice on them.

After talking with Sam last, I ended up calling OTT performance for my pulley. It hasn't shown up yet, but it shoud be here for install after I get back. We will see.

Joe

Well, here are some updates.

I wanted to see how long it took to get to a certain speed, but since my gps is a little slow, I took the numbers and time to reach 35 mph.

Overlap front, mod 19 rear, Scott 106 mm nozzle. Holeshot rpm 5000, major slipping out of the hole. Averaging the best holeshots, the best time I could get by feathering the throttle was 15.5 seconds to 35.

Scott 19 lead, mod 19 in the rear, 106mm nozzle. Holeshot rpm to 4900, blasted out of the hole, no slipping what so ever. 35 mph came in at an average of 14.0 seconds.

Scott 19 front, 19 rear, 106mm nozzle. Holeshot rpm to 4600, grabbing water the hole way, out of the hole pretty good, but not enough rpm for top end. Barely made 36mph so it took about 16.5 seconds to pull 35mph. The 108mm nozzle made no difference. Still

I called Jeff to ask a few questions. Since my pulley hadn't come yet we decided to hold off on any impeller changes and wait and see. He did mention he would be happy to return the rear impeller if I liked Carls mod 19 better.

My pulley came in last night, so I got to work on the swap. I made my own pulley puller and installed the 2.8 mm one. I went to carquest this morning and got a new belt, K050490, the next shortest size. I had to grind off the tensioner stop so I could relax it enough to get the new belt on. Worked like a champ!

On the lake, the Scott 19/mod 19 , 106mm came out of the hole great, and rpm would drop out about 5100 - 5200 rpm. Not sure why, but the engine would fall on its face. Like lack of fuel or rev limiter or something... Im going to call Sam in the morning. It sucks that I have to go to work for 2 weeks tomorrow.

Get ready for this though... Scott 19/ scott 19, 106mm. 4800 - 4900 rpm...LAUNCHED out of the hole...seriously...LAUNCHED! 13.0 seconds to 35mph. Wow...I was smiles all over. Im kind of wondering how much more water this combo pushes, but I really dont have much for top speed. I was topped out around 37mph. adjusting the trim really didnt make that much more difference....

After running the scott combo, I started loosing rpm a bit down to 4700 top end. I wonder if that was just some heat soak from playing with it so much. I never switched to the 108 today, since it really didn't make any difference the other day. Plus, I think it would just hurt top speed a little bit.

I wonder why my top end is so crappy now? I wonder if it has to do with my stator? Turns out, end of last year, I broke a blade (the entire thing) off my stator and smashed up the leading edges a bit. How much performance will that loose?

Anybody with a supercharged Ecotec will be happy with a smaller pulley, just dont buy from OTT performance. I ordered mine on Mar 30th. A call April 12th, and he said it shipped out that day (12th), another call on April 26th and he said it shipped out the 21st. Finally it showed up yesterday, the 9th of May. I called him and he had no explanation other than a mix-up. So, I wouldn't recommend getting a pulley from them.

The trim doesn't shoot a huge rooster tail, but I can tell its working. I suppose it will help when loaded. I think the happy place is straight. It really didn't make much difference full down for the launch, but I expect it to when loaded down.

Once I get this rpm thing fixed, along with fuel filters and fresh gas, Ill try the mod 19 impeller again to see the difference. I think this engine really wants to rev, so I need to let it.

Also, the scott impellers are TIGHT. They are kind of wearing in themselves on the wear rings, is that OK? I hope some of the vibration goes away when they are fully worn in. Maybe some silt will help fix that.

Anybody else have any suggestions?

Joe

Oh yeah, sand trap and washdown pump are installed! Woo hoo!

Man oh man you should be able to haul a freight train with that thing when you get it dialed in. I was told that if you want low end you WILL lose some speed and when you want High end you WILL lose some hole shot. It suks but it is what it is...