Thread: putting my boat pkg together

grizzeyes

Default putting my boat pkg together

I'm working with $5,900 and thinking of buying me a new all-welded Lowe Rougheck, Crestliner Jon or G3 boat. Then hunt down a motor and trlr on my own. Not sure if I'll go All welded or riveted but I would like to have some money left over after the purchase(s). I'm in no hurry to buy the first thing I see but the sooner the better. I'm needing the boat in these olive drab type colors because it will also be my duck boat. With my situation, it seems from looking around that it might be easier to find a motor by itself. Ideally, I'm thinking of a center or side console but that route will cost me extra for the rigging, etc...and might just stay with the tiller set-up.

My plan is to buy the welded boat, then search for a used trailer and hopefully that good used 4 stroke on my own. If anyone has bought their set up like I'm attempting, how long did it take you? thanks.

Default What length are you thinking about?

I'm running a 16' Lowe Tunnel (riveted) with a 40hp Johnson jet. I bought the entire rig (boat/motor/trailer) used around 2000 or 2001 for $3,900. It is a 1992 model but was VERY clean. As far as riveted or welded, it kind of depends on what you are going to use it for. The riveted is very nice because of the light weight. Every couple of years though I put it on sawhorses and fill it with water to find the leaky rivets and bang them back together. My bro-in-law has a 17' Alweld with a Honda 50/35 jet. It is surprising how much heavier his boat is than mine. If you plan on doing a lot of shallow water stuff I would lean toward the riveted, especially if it will be just you or you and a buddy. I have drug mine off sandbars by myself more than once. If I would have been in my bro-in-laws boat I would have needed a come a long.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default console vs. tiller

Forgot to mention....I'm running with console steering. If I would have had the choice I would stick with tiller simply for more room in the boat. Visibility is good when standing behind the console but it takes up a lot of room especially in my small boat. I would imagine that the console (console, steering cable, engine controls, etc...) adds a significant amount of weight vs. a tiller. Also, stop to stop on my steering is about 3 1/2 turns. This takes a second longer than slamming the tiller from one side to the other if needed. I put a suicide knob on the steering wheel to help but sometimes in a tight log jam area it still gets a little hairy.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

grizzeyes

16ft would be just fine. too bad over at Dewey's that they don't stalk the Welded G3 16' in a specific model. The 1652 VBW seems to have lot's of room up front under the really big deck. Mainly would be using my boat for the Kenai and I usually fish alone. Hopefully a tiller would be easier to use when trying to land kings. I'm not ruling out riveted. Thanks fur the comments AKMUD.

Default Classifieds

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but there's a lot of good looking used boats on Alaska USA's classifieds. Here's a couple links: http://www.cuserv.com/show.asp?CUID=...tem=2147465782

I checked this sight regularly while shopping for my boat.

Good luck

grizzeyes

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by AK_BigO
    Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but there's a lot of good looking used boats on Alaska USA's classifieds. Here's a couple links: http://www.cuserv.com/show.asp?CUID=...tem=2147465782

I checked this sight regularly while shopping for my boat.

Good luck
    hey thanks very much O, yeah I called the guy on this. he had the same boat on craigslist. lot's of yrs on that riveted boat. I don't need any head aches. I'm willing to wait.

Generally it seems like the best deals to be had on used boats is the complete package, ie hull, trailer and engine. Finding a used trailer that fits your boat is more miss than hit. If you can get a decent hull and trailer and a motor that needs to be upgraded, it's your best way onto the waters. I'm thinking you should be able to get a 16 jon boat with trailer and engine in the $4k range.

grizzeyes

right 4k is what i was thinking. Hard to get a welded pkg for that but we'll see.

Just be patient, and be willing to walk on anything that doesn't meat your criteria. I think it's a good idea to put together a sheet listing what you do and don't want, and what you're willing to pay. I know it can be tempting to buy a "great deal" that needs some work, but often that work can cost alot of money, and leave you with stuff you can't sell or get rid of.

grizzeyes

hey Paul, u bet. thanks, yeah so many pkgs out there and everyone deserves that killer once in a lifetime deal. However, sometimes doing a boat project is really great fun. I owned 3 boats and for me and I'm sure many, that it's fun doing fix up projects in the right situation. I remember back home in the lower I traded across a 16' tracker pro 16 bass boat for a 19' heavy fiberglass starfire for the ocean. Monterey Bay CA. I took all the jump seats out & had to buy a few things and work on the teak stripping but I enjoyed all that.

That boat did the job for me, and I'm sorry I sold it once i got to ak. Even though I had to drop in a rebuilt 350 chevy, it was a sweet cruiser. The guy up here said he would sell it back to me but never did. Starfires are not in production any longer but I've heard and believe that they are one of the best made older boat makes around. A real heavy boat, bullet proof hull and sides. Can't remember the way they fiberglassed it together back then but ran 5' swells in comfort

Talking Sea Ark

All welded, tunell goes any where, hit a rock welder up and go. 115 yamy the best!!! Riveted no way, unless you like fixing leaks. Good luck!
    Louie

grizzeyes

Too bad I wasn't able to be working with more money. There has been some really nice boats in the paper. When I decided to trade out of my 2004 f250 super crew fx4 lariat diesel so I can buy a boat, I had a really hard time accepting the idea of downsizing to a used vehicle of 18 or 19k. that would be like going back to A league.

I could have been able to buy a bigger used boat for the Kenai and for the salt. Getting into a 18' searunner would have served me well and I almost bought one. Today I picked me up a older '78 16ft alumaweld sled with center console, a new 35 hp yamaha oil injected 2 stroker with power trim n tilt and a funky but workable trailer that I might like to get rid of. Thanks Paul for the advice. It took me a while.

This was the last chance that I would have this year to get a boat so I paid 5,500 and I'm left with $4,500 to find a vehicle to drive. currently don't have a truck.

Default Starfire Boats

Dear Reader,
    My husband and I were the owners of Starfire Boats in Salt Lake City, Utah. We did build a very fine boat and I haven't seen anything that even comes close to it being made today. It's nice to read that you really liked your Starfire.

Thumbs up To Late!

I just sold my 16' roughneck tunnel jon a few day's ago for around 4k

Get a tunnel if you want to go jet, it will protect your jet and subtract a few inches from you're draft.

Also if you plan on running shallow I would (am) going welded, because of they are sturdier and generally have thicker bottoms. AKmud has a good point about weight though, 6 in one half dozen in another.

If you are not in a hurry. i.e. you don't need the boat until fall. My experience about that is work $5000 in the spring will go for >$4000 in the fall.

my .02
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford

grizzeyes

Keep your eyes open as spring approaches there will be lots of boats for sale as guys buy new ones or leave state. Give or take a grand you can probably find a decent package in your price range for the size and power you want.

Thumbs up Wow

Quote Originally Posted by appreski View Post
    Dear Reader,
    My husband and I were the owners of Starfire Boats in Salt Lake City, Utah. We did build a very fine boat and I haven't seen anything that even comes close to it being made today. It's nice to read that you really liked your Starfire.
    It's neat that you caught that one paragrah about the Starfires. I used to ski behind my grandpas' Starfire. A classic. What is the history of Starfire?
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Default Tracker Boats

I am new to posting in this forum so I hope this works.

Tracker Boats sells their Grizzly welded jons online and it looks like you can pick them up in Wassilla at Performance Marine. According to their website you can buy a stripped down welded 1860 for $3009, which seems like a lot of boat for the money compared to other new boats I have seen in Anchorage.

http://dev.trackerboats.com/boat/index.cfm?boat=2297

You could get one of these, a new trailer, and a used two stroke outboard and possibly stay under $5900 for everything.

As far as configurations, I prefer a tiller (lighter, faster steering, more room, and less to break/maintain). I am also not a fan of tunnel hulls because they draft deeper off plane and require more speed to hold a plane. This equates to having a larger engine which burns more fuel adding more weight and cost to your boat.

Hope this helps.

Default Boats

You can tell spring is here when there are more ads in the paper for boats than snowmachines. Watch www.craigslist.com sure has gotten popular, I listed my 20'Bayliner. And lets not for get the list here!

I think I'd go with an older hull and newer outboard. The motor is more likely to have problems the older ity is. On a jon boat hull, you can pretty much see if there's problems with it...it's not gonna wear out just from getting older. Rivets work loose, but you can generally see that, as well as cracked welds, holes, dents, etc. You can't see what's wrong with the motor. I'd have no problem getting a 20 year old boat, if it looked in good shape, but would be very cautious with a motor that old.