Thread: Cheapest way to ship ammo from Ohio to Fairbanks?

Question Cheapest way to ship ammo from Ohio to Fairbanks?

Ideas? I thought maybe palletizing and shipping hazmat by something like Conway and have it barged up from the west coast. I would have probably 1 pallet, maybe 2 if that. Ideas? Thanks! This hopefully will happen within a year... "prays to God pleeeeeaze!!!!!"

The method you've proposed is really the only way. If you can afford the fees, more power to you!
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Might want to call Robert at American Fast Freight in Anchorage... 248-5548

I had some shipped from a larger ammo manufacturer a while back and it wound up coming through him, he told me to call him if I ever wanted to set up something on my own...

He was real familiar with the requirements and methods.

During the ammo shortage here in Fairbanks, I needed some 270WSM. I would bring as much as legally allowed in my airline checked baggage. I also had my friends and family bring it to me the same way. Remember I said LEGALLY ALLOWED.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Yup thatís the only way but going to Fairbanks you may as well skip the barge and just go by truck. Conway wonít work for Alaska and if you use them to get the stuff to say Lynden (who has barges and trucks in Alaska) in Fife Wa you will get two hazmat fees. You can go UPS ground to Washington then truck or barge to Alaska but that may be more. I did a bunch of powder shipping with Lynden and they are great to work with. There is also Span Alaska and there rates seem to be better but you need a business account with them. Also TOTE (Totem Ocean Trailer) but I donít know if they do LTTL (less than truck load) shipping. Iíd call and get some quotes and ideas, here is a link for Lynden to get you started.

http://www.lynden.com/ltia/
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Can you pack it in a trailer and drive onto a ferry in Bellingham ... straight to Anchorage (avoid CANADA)?

I guess it depends on how you're getting to Alaska yourself.

If you're flying ... like Steve said ($50 for a cooler sized luggage).

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    During the ammo shortage here in Fairbanks, I needed some 270WSM. I would bring as much as legally allowed in my airline checked baggage. I also had my friends and family bring it to me the same way. Remember I said LEGALLY ALLOWED.

Steve
    Yup and through Canada you can bring 2000 rounds, components to make 2000 rounds . . . I believe that was 8kg of powder and 2K primers. But for quantities like a pallet worth hazmat pallet shipping is the only real way.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Truenorthed View Post
    Can you pack it in a trailer and drive onto a ferry in Bellingham ... straight to Anchorage (avoid CANADA)?

I guess it depends on how you're getting to Alaska yourself.

If you're flying ... like Steve said ($50 for a cooler sized luggage).
    I didnít think they let quinines of hazmat on like that?
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Each airline has their own rules, so please double check anything posted here.

This is from Alaska Airlines website...

Firearms / Shooting Equipment

The following items may be included in your normal baggage allowance. Excess charges will apply for additional pieces of baggage. All items must be suitably packaged for transport.

* Shooting Equipment
    1. One rifle case with rifles, scopes, one shooting mat, noise suppressors and small tools, or
    2. One shotgun case with shotguns, or
    3. One pistol case with pistols, noise suppressors, one pistol telescope and small pistol tools
    * Ammunitionóup to 50 lbs.(domestic) and 11 lbs. (international - where permitted) may be checked, if securely packed in the original manufacturer's package or in a container designed for ammunition and of sufficient strength to protect it from accidental crushing or discharge (i.e. wood, fiber, plastic, or metal). The projectile must be no larger than 11/16" in diameter, the size of a dime. Ammunition may be checked with or separately from the firearm. Spent ammunition shells will be accepted in checked baggage provided they meet the same acceptance procedures as live ammunition (e.g. packed in a crush-proof case).
    Founding Member

Isn't it amazing that you can pack 50lbs of ammo onto a passenger airliner, yet 50lbs in a connex on a boat requires many pages of paperwork and a hazmat fee?
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I saw on the news the other day where I guy had a case of primers explode on the ramp in a baggage cart. The photo showed baggage scattered all over. From the news report the guy was in deep trouble.....

Follow the rules, not worth the risk to do otherwise. Ammo and all the components are well stocked and available in Fairbanks these days.

Steve
    Founding Member