Thread: Quail

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Default Quail

anyone know where to get live quail in SC Alaska ?

Depends, what breed are you looking for? SMHBirds (on here) probably has what you're looking for. if she doesn't have it, we can certainly find it.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

I'm just getting into upland classes soon, never trained it before other than some quartering with the lab. I have a 10 X 10 dog kennel I could set up and secure for birds (safe from fox and our cat) and thought I could shackle them and work the dogs on them. Can't shoot here but I have plenty of open area. If not, pigeons would work well, Im just more likely to eat quail in the fall than pigeons.
    I'll look her up.
    Thanks
    Linda

Yep... I have a few overwintered bobwhites... waiting (not so patiently) for the breeders to start laying again. There's also someone down here that has pigeons. I'll have to look up his info.

if somebody will loan me their 5' dipnet for a few hours, I could catch a few dozen pigeons as they come out of the vent to my neighbor's attic... I'm not sure how they sleep in that house with those stinkin birds cooing and flapping around all night
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    if somebody will loan me their 5' dipnet for a few hours, I could catch a few dozen pigeons as they come out of the vent to my neighbor's attic... I'm not sure how they sleep in that house with those stinkin birds cooing and flapping around all night
    I got a net.

Sorry, double post.

Skinny,

Don't care that much about the cooing, but your neighbor best consider all the...well, the pooing! Not healthy.

Pigeons are much hardier than quail and, therefore, better for training IMHO.

Jim

Yes, very unhealthy!...............and again, I have a net!

Thanks SMHbirds. Kenai may be a bit to far to go for them but I'll keep it in mind. After further consideration the pen is big enough for a half a dozen pigeons and I know how to care for and handle them. We already designed flooring (in our heads) so we can keep it clean. That was the worst thing to deal with before. We had a guy in our retriever club down south nearly die from bacteria from pigeons so I'm pretty careful.

It is seriously like bats coming out of a cave on a PBS nature documentary. I'm not sure if there is an alternate exit, but I think a net over the hole couldn't help but catch several.

Default My best hunting story

The talk about pigeons made me think of one of my proudest moments as an outdoorsman. I usually don't do a lot of boasting about my hunting prowess because it's usually a pretty fair match between me (with the Master's) and the birds (with the pea-sized brain)... I just have to tell this story though. I was a junior in college back in old Virginia and I lived in a dorm with old Doric arcitecture. At the top of the Doric columns in front of the dorm, there were flat places under the eaves of the building where pigeons loved to build nests. My window happened to be directly beside one such column and I had an entire family of pigeons about eight feet from my window. I couldn't sleep past daybreak because they would flap and coo and make enough noise to wake the dead.
    They roosted there until I made a trip to the Bass Pro and found a blow dart gun. I practiced on a tree outside for an afternoon and got to the point that I thought I could hit a pigeon. Then I opened my window, built a blind out of pillows and blankets, and waited for a bird to come home to roost. Soon enough one showed up and I was ready. My first dart whistled by just millimeters from the bird's head and stuck in the eave of the building (I assume it is still there). Luckily, the pigeon didn't notice and I was able to chamber another round. The second dart struck the pigeon just under the wing and sunk in about halfway down the shank... the pigeon didn't even flop on his way to the ground. Thump! I retrieved my bird and perched it on the windowsill as a warning to the others. They never came back either. Thank goodness.

pigeon2006.JPGPredator_Blowgun.jpg
    You can sort of see where I had the curtain pulled over to lean out the window in the background. With the benefit of hindsight, I probably wouldn't have that Tiger Woods poster on the wall. Just saying. Any my blowgun wasn't quite as nice as the one in the pic, but it was of similar style and length.

And this is why Linda hates it when I get into a Dog Training thread.

We'll eventually have pigeons right here in the Valley as soon as the two pairs I have settle in and get to breeding. It'll probably be next year before we have a good supply of them though. Linda, if there is something on the Kenai you want we can always arrange a bird train to get them here. SMH and I both know quite a few people that go back and forth who also transport...just an idea.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

I think Wetlands has pigeons too and wont be ready to set it up until after breakup anyway, Mid-May-ish when I set up my raised gardens (not too far from a fertilizer source.) I looked up squab too and we'll see if I can stand taking care of birds through the winter. Last time I just did a live pigeon shoot in the fall for the dogs out on Pt Mac at the gravel pit, but I didn't have as large a pen to keep them in. Are your's a particular kind of pigeon or just captured wild?