Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Float hunting the Melozitna River for moose?

Quote Originally Posted by brownbear2 View Post
    does anybody have an idea what it would cost to get it to Anchorage from Fairbanks?
    If the Alaska Railroad will accept it, it should cost something on the order of $0.40/pound. I've had good look using them to ship between Talkeetna and Fairbanks. Not sure if they will ship to Anchorage.

Quote Originally Posted by brownbear2 View Post
    We did not float the Little Melozitna because float plane could not land. Does not surprise me that you cannot get much info from your tour guide. You can expect company if he sends boats down like he did to us, does not mean you will not see moose. I recommend that you stay put up higher on the river and hunt more than you float. The farther we floated down the river the less moose sign we seen. Remember we started on the Big Melozitna. If you find good moose sign stay and call (hunt) in that area for a couple of days. We were fine with hip boots just be careful not to go over them. Hope this helps.
    Great advice brownbear2. Always good advice to stay and hunt where you have found moose sign. The grass is not usually greener than that around the bend....hope you had a good hunt bb2.

oh boy.. good luck. Let me see if I can do this and remain politically correct(odds are not good).

Do some research on your planner, maybe check fish and game violations. He's putting more and more hunters on rivers, and doesn't seem to care. And he doesn't live in Alaska so why should he... max profits you know.. that's what it's all about.

I spoke with a pilot that used to drop folks on that river, and won't do it anymore due to over crowding.

How'd I do?.. Somewhat politically correct?

Who are the "locals"? Are they preselected as part of the hunt planning?

One of the Moose we took on the Melozitna River back in 1986.
    LJ.jpg

Hey Brownbear2, I'm also looking forward to a float hunt on the Melozitna River and have been workin with Kent from Alaskan Quest on logistics, etc, and am excited for the adventure this year in 2017. Interested in any lessons learned, points of interest, etc? You can reach me on cell at 206-300-4215 if you'd prefer to talk live. Hope your trip was all that you wished for and you're willing to share! Cheers-

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123