Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Float hunting the Melozitna River for moose?

bb2 was wondering on how you are you are planning on transporting your game home after your hunt. I'm coming up from Indiana hunting this September and working on the details on that as well, not sure exactly how i am going to do it yet.

johns, we are planning on bringing one big cooler to bring back the backstrap and tenderloins(unless we eat them on the river) back home. The rest will be donated. We flew the meat of three moose from British Columbia five years ago and cost us a fortune. Will not do that again. Here is a web address you might check, www.alaskameatexpress.com/. This guy will haul all your meat and antlers back to the lower 48. One of his stops is in Battle Creek, MI just north of you. The cost $700

Game meat ...
    The locals are usually happy to take game meat if it is taken care of properly.
    Is there a reason that the expense of taking the meat home would not be figured into the event of harvesting an animal?
    Is the meat not of the quality that you desire on your table?
    would you take the antlers and cape home and a few select cuts and not the rest of the animal?
    what is your reason for hunting?
    Antlers?
    Just wondering
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

We plan on taking good care of our meat. We already have planned on having the meat picked up off the river when we are at a spot that it can be flown out. We love moose meat, as stated we had 1000 pounds flown back home from BC, Canada 5 years ago, but it was very expensive. I shoot 5-6 whitetail deer a year and put in the freezer, so we have a lot of venison. And yes, we are bringing back the cape and antlers. We will still look at options of bringing back all the meat to the lower 48 if possible. (Now regarding why I hunt) Because I love being in the woods and enjoying God's creation (for over 40 years), not because I have to shoot something or need the meat to live on. I have always brought back all of my elk, deer and black bear from out west home for the freezer, because we where able to transport it back in our vehicles. I would never allow any meat to be wasted, if I shoot it, I eat it. But bringing all the moose back after all other expense might be a bit over budget. But it WILL NOT be wasted. It will be donated to someone that can use it. If I lived in Alaska, I would keep it. But, please do not question why I hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacanoe View Post
    what is your reason for hunting?
    Antlers?
    Just wondering
    He did say he got hooked up on this trip via SCI. So the answer to your question by extension would probably be...Yes.

Default The Villages

Those in the village do appreciate the meat.
    They will make very good use of it if you decide to donate it.
    Not making a judgment here for sure. I am not a ethics cop by any means.
    Those that go to Africa and hunt donate almost the entire animal to the locals, and they make good use of it.
    When a person goes to Africa they go knowing that they will bring home only the trophy.
    I was just not sure if you were coming to hunt Moose in Alaska for Meat or for trophy.
    The difference between Alaska and Africa is that in Africa the locals actually show up at the kill site so they can harvest the entire animal. In Alaska it is almost always the responsibility of the hunter to care for and transport the meat themselves.. at least on unguided hunts.
    It has been a sore point for some in Alaska..... that because the hunter has no interest in the meat, he does not take the best of care of it,,, unless its the choice cuts such as the loins, then the remainder is oft times dirty and less cared for, sometimes not properly cooled etc...
    some years ago I smelled a lot of dead game smell in Kotzebue and when I went toward the smell I found the city dumpsters with rotting caribou.. dumped into the garbage as the meat was not taken care of good enough for the locals to use...
    the hunters got the meat out of the field, and that was all they cared about.
    I am not talking a couple of animals... I am talking many many animals were beyond eatable due to lack of care....... BUT....the Trophy antlers and cape were in excellent condition,,,
    Because of people in the past deciding the trophy was more important than the meat, the State law now prohibits the moving of the hide and antlers until all the meat is first taken from the field..
    I cannot tell you how many people that come here for trophy only...... have complained about having to do this.....
    I was in the Dillingham airport once as I listened to a hunter complain that his trophy was destroyed and stolen by a bear because he was not able to get it to camp first...
    He said it ruined his trip, as he lost the only thing he really came here for anyway.
    Like I said... the folks in the village may be happy to have the meat..... even void of the loins and choice cuts.....

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    He did say he got hooked up on this trip via SCI. So the answer to your question by extension would probably be...Yes.
    I'm starting to wonder about the last two post on here and what you getting at . Do you have a problem with SCI, dkwarthog. Yes, I am a member of the NRA and the SCI because they help protect OUR rights to own guns and hunt. I purchased this package through SCI, but it was donated to them from Alaskan Quest. I do not hunt high fence areas or canned hunts because I like fair chase. So are you passing judgement on me. Oh ya, while I'm thinking of it, Ibex, why are you asking on this thread about the cost to fly with Rick into the same area, when you emailed me a couple days ago ragging on me for posting to much info about my hunt if it is such a secret.

bb2 thank you for the link and good luck on your trip maybe ill see you in Fairbanks

Thanks for the come back Alaskacanoe, I respect the animals I hunt and would never waste their meat. I agree that there are slob hunters in Alaska just like here in Michigan. Here they cut off the antlers of the deer and leave the rest to rot. I have no sympathy for those guys when they get caught, they should lose their hunting privilages for life. Again that is why I will pay extra to have the meat flown off the river as quick as possible. Just got off the phone with my hunting partner and we are going to figure what the best way to bring all the meat back.

back in the 1980's I was a guide in Wyoming and Utah.
    I had a booth at the SCI conventions and sold many trips to many good and ethical hunters for many years.
    Some of every group have different thoughts about what hunting means to them..
    some it was just a way to get the trophy of the grand slam worlds sheep , or the northwest american 27 as it was called back then.
    some came and were just the very very best you could ever imagine.. One time I took a fellow from the field directly back to camp and sent him on his way home.... I shared many campfires with all sorts of characters and everyone had their own personality and reasons for pursuits....
    have a great trip and do good things
    Max

Your right about that Max, there are some of hunters that belong to SCI that have ego problems. They have to kill the biggest and the most to boost their egos. What matters to them is only how many animals they can put in the books. I wish I could live in Alaska and enjoy the beautiful state that you guys are blessed to live in, but family keeps me here in Michigan. On our Michigan Hunting Forum we have one thread from a couple of trappers that live in Alaska titled, Living the Dream. I envy them. Lynn

FWIW, my comment was no direct reflection on you brownbear, it was my opinion of SCI in general. I packed for a well known trophy outfit and have met plenty of SCI folks, and I group them loosely with the SFW types, hunting opportunities for the wealthy at the expense of the avg joe. Sorry to sound like a sour grape, but I about barf when I hear guys talking about their africa trips and game ranch trips. I don't begrudge them the right, just not something I find all that attractive....good luck on your hunt

Thanks for the comeback dkwarthog, I understand where you are coming from. I attend the SCI conventions but do not buy raffle tickets anymore because some of the members show off there money by buying a $1000.00 worth of tickets to win a $250 gun, never give the little guy a chance to win something nice. I don't think that helps recruit new members that are not as well off. I do not desire to go to Africa, there is to much here I still want to hunt. Sorry for jumping to conclusions.
    Thanks Average Joe to another.

bb2,
    I take it you are planning to fly from Michigan to AK, to conduct your hunt. If you can take the time, though, I would encourage you to think about driving. What an adventure it is. My son and I drove from Kansas to Tok, last fall and did a fly out, DIY hunt. It took 4 days each way, and we would find a nice stream/lake to pull back off of the highway and camp for the night. We pulled a utillity trailer with a couple of old working freezers on board to haul meat home in. We were fortunate to harvest 2 nice caribou, and brought back every bit of the meat, except for what we ate while still in the bush and on our way home. If driving is not an option, look into the service that forum member, 379 Peterbuilt, offers. He transports meat and antlers back to the lower 48 for successfull hunters, for a much lower rate than the airlines. Knute

Here you go brownbear2...

http://www.alaskameatexpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCub View Post
    Here you go brownbear2...

http://www.alaskameatexpress.com/
    Yea, I posted this site earlier for john s, does anybody have an idea what it would cost to get it to Anchorage from Fairbanks?

Default driving

bb2 my brother and i were debating on making the drive maybe we could get together and work something out to get our stuff home not sure where you are getting your rafts from but we are going through moose and if it were to work out we could meet up there and load up everything.

johns, my hunting partner and I discussed driving also, but it just is not possible. To much travel time that we do not have. As far as getting together and working out something to transport stuff back home that would be fine. As much as it sound like a good idea, I'm afraid that it might be a little difficult to have everybody's time line to coordinate, but give me a call #231-689-6787 evenings. Oh by the way I'm using Test The Waters for my raft rental, deposit was sent in before I discovered this site. I wish I had waited, sounds like to me there are some members on this site that I would have prefered to do business with.

Sorry if I'm doing this incorrectly. New here. Looking for info on this same exact hunt. Little melozitna booked through alaskan quest. Can't get much info through "tour guide". Booked for September 2016. How many people can i expect to encounter moose size best hip boots or waders to use etc... any info would be greatly appreciated

We did not float the Little Melozitna because float plane could not land. Does not surprise me that you cannot get much info from your tour guide. You can expect company if he sends boats down like he did to us, does not mean you will not see moose. I recommend that you stay put up higher on the river and hunt more than you float. The farther we floated down the river the less moose sign we seen. Remember we started on the Big Melozitna. If you find good moose sign stay and call (hunt) in that area for a couple of days. We were fine with hip boots just be careful not to go over them. Hope this helps.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast