Thread: Ketchikan tides

Default Ketchikan tides

Hello all!
    This query is directed to the folks in SE AK, especially those in Ketchikan.
    We are planning a trip out to Misty Fiords from Ketchikan and around Revilla island this summer.
    I am aware that southerly winds and the tides make Pt. Alava the trickiest part of the journey. We are planning to go around the Point at low slack (on a day when the winds allow), thinking that we will go up towards Winstanley with the current, and that any southerly wind will be blowing with the current:
    For those with local knowledge, is my thinking correct on this one???
    Do appreciate any comments/suggestions concerning best times for transiting Point Alava (high or low slack or whatever).......
    Thanks,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by rshadow View Post
    Hello all!
    This query is directed to the folks in SE AK, especially those in Ketchikan.
    We are planning a trip out to Misty Fiords from Ketchikan and around Revilla island this summer.
    I am aware that southerly winds and the tides make Pt. Alava the trickiest part of the journey. We are planning to go around the Point at low slack (on a day when the winds allow), thinking that we will go up towards Winstanley with the current, and that any southerly wind will be blowing with the current:
    For those with local knowledge, is my thinking correct on this one???
    Do appreciate any comments/suggestions concerning best times for transiting Point Alava (high or low slack or whatever).......
    Thanks,
    Robert

The winds and the current have no bearing to each other. We get a lot of SE winds so it could be blowing up Behm Canal on the incoming tide, but not necessarily.

Since this thread is under the power boating section I assume you are motoring into that area, if that's the case don't worry about the tide. Just concern your self with the weather and winds because coming around Alava can be a bear with high seas and strong winds. If you catch it on a calm day all will be fine.

Kingfisher is right about Alava being sh***y in a SE wind. Thats definately the worst part. What kind and how big of boat do you have?
    Once you get around the point you will be in the trough, then quartering away and you might be able to hide from the wind when you get to the far shore on the way to Winstanley. I actually call it WINDstanley. Its a good anchorage if you got a descent anchor. Seems like it used to have a bouy to tie to. Not sure any more though. It can blow in there too but the doesnt seem to get much wave action. Someone told me "Forrest Circus" tore down the cabin there on the island.....idiots! Maybe just a rumor hopefully.
    Basically if you can get around the point, your probably through the worst.

Good Luck

Oz

Thank you much Kingfisher and Oz! We certainly will place close attention to the weather and wait out any strong winds!!
    In reply to Oz, we have a 20ft Sea Runner (Hewescraft)...
    According to the Forest Service webpage the WinDstanly Island cabin and buoy are intact, but maybe IŽll give them a call just to make sure. There was a bid to replace the cabin in late 2010, but I don't know if that worked out......
    Again, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rshadow View Post
    Thank you much Kingfisher and Oz! We certainly will place close attention to the weather and wait out any strong winds!!
    In reply to Oz, we have a 20ft Sea Runner (Hewescraft)...
    According to the Forest Service webpage the WinDstanly Island cabin and buoy are intact, but maybe IŽll give them a call just to make sure. There was a bid to replace the cabin in late 2010, but I don't know if that worked out......
    Again, thanks
    If you didn't know there is also a cabin right around the corner of Alava in Alava Bay. There is also a buoy at Alava Bay.

I've certainly noticed, in place like Chatam Straight, that a tide moving against the wind makes the seas choppier. If that is your concern, then certainly traveling at slack tide, or whichever tide puts the current in the same direction of the wind makes good sense.

Maybe I'm wrong.

The Winstanley cabin is in good shape. Make your reservations early. Take more fuel than you think you are going to need. Once you get back there, you will want to do a lot more running around then you think.