Thread: Lowe jon boats

Default Lowe jon boats

I'm looking at maybe getting one of these Lowe jon boats, 1648T or 1652MT. Here are the specs off the website for both of the boats.

1648T Length15' 10" / 4.82Beam70" / 1.77mBottom Width48" / 1.2mSide Depth21" / .53mTransom Height20" / .5mRibs9Approx. Hull Weight275 lb / 125kgMax. Weight Capacity973 lb / 441kgMax. Person Capacity4Max. HP Capacity35 hp / 26kwMax. Person Weight Capacity555 lb / 252kgHull Gauge.072" / 1.83mmPackage Length20' / 6.09mSeats3

1652MVT Length15' 10" / 4.82mBeam75" / 1.91mBottom Width52" / 1.32mSide Depth21" / .53mTransom Height20" / .5mRibs9Approx. Hull Weight450lb / 204kgMax. Weight Capacity1216lb / 552kgMax. Person Capacity5Max. HP Capacity remote50hp / 37kwMax. HP Capacity tiller35hp / 26kwMax. Person Weight Capacity715lb / 324kgHull Gauge.072" / 1.83mmPackage Length20' / 6.09mSeats3

Now what I don't understand is how can the 1652MT weight approx. 450lbs? It is only 4" wider at the bottom than the 1648T that weights 275lbs. They both are .072" thick, but the 52" does have what they call a motor well and some floation boxes behind the rear bench seat. Even with these added I can't see the 52" weighting that much more. I called Lowe about the weights, but the guy I talked to said the specs may have all of the options added to it and thats why the weight is listed so much heavier. Does anyone have one of these boats? Do they really weight approx. 450lbs? Reason I'm might be putting together a light weight setup, one of the boats listed above and matched with a Yamaha 40/30 jet. Should I just get the 48" and be done with it, I've heard it runs very well with the 40/30 jet.

Call Lowe in Missouri they will talk to you in detail and are nice folks

Quote Originally Posted by J-FRAME View Post
    Call Lowe in Missouri they will talk to you in detail and are nice folks
    I've already called Lowe. The only answer they gave me is the boats must be listed with all or some of the options. In other words they weren't real sure if 450lbs. was the correct weight or not. I'm guessing not but thought maybe somebody on here had some more insight.

1652MT = 360 lbs vs. the 1648M/T =275 lbs. That looks more reasonable. For an additional 85 lbs hull weight you get an additional 243 lbs rated capacity. Net gain of 158 lbs carrying capacity.

I think I recall seeing a Lowe 1448 and a 1648 at Sportsman's Warehouse in Anchorage. One of them was on sale for $700 or $750. Sorry I don't remember the price exactly, but at the time, 6 weeks ago, I thought it was the lowest price in town.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    1652MT = 360 lbs vs. the 1648M/T =275 lbs. That looks more reasonable. For an additional 85 lbs hull weight you get an additional 243 lbs rated capacity. Net gain of 158 lbs carrying capacity.
    Hey Buzz where did you get that info? Don't get me wrong, 360lbs. does sound better than 450lbs., but that still doesn't sound right. When I checked Alweld Boats website their 1652 .100" welded weighted in at 365lbs. and the 1648 weight 355lbs. I'm just thinking the Lowe 1652 should weight about 300lbs., but maybe not.

Ak mining and diving has the easiest breakdown under "boating".....lowe section. Good pictures, you can see a few additional add-ons of the 52" bottom models near the transom. From what I can remember, they also use 2 pieces for the bottom with a bit of an overlap in the center. I remember there being a keel guard riveted on down the center in addition to the pressed in runners. I agree with you though, doesn't seem like it should be much more, but I guess it adds up with a little extra here and there x 16 feet. Personally, I like the 1852 as it weighs very close but can carry more with a small outboard jet.

I have a 1652, it is pretty light. If you look at a rock wrong you'll punch a hole in it. I ended up buying a Alweld because I got tired of having it welded up. Too light in my opinion. If your dinking around in a lake or a deep river without rocks it shouldn't be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by KLK View Post
    I have a 1652, it is pretty light. If you look at a rock wrong you'll punch a hole in it. I ended up buying a Alweld because I got tired of having it welded up. Too light in my opinion. If your dinking around in a lake or a deep river without rocks it shouldn't be a problem.
    KLK, Could you please go into more detail about your setup. What size is your Alweld boat, what size is the motor, jet or prop, etc...?

Back in the 90's a had a 1648. Fitted it with a stand up console and a 25HP Johnson with a jet. Not the most powerful river boat out there, but it took me everywhere (Little Su, Kenai, 20Mile, etc.) Ran up on a lot of gravel bars as I suck at reading water. Not a problem as this light weight package is easy to pull off and refloat. With 3 people it could do about 20MPH.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaM5 View Post
    Back in the 90's a had a 1648. Fitted it with a stand up console and a 25HP Johnson with a jet. Not the most powerful river boat out there, but it took me everywhere (Little Su, Kenai, 20Mile, etc.) Ran up on a lot of gravel bars as I suck at reading water. Not a problem as this light weight package is easy to pull off and refloat. With 3 people it could do about 20MPH.
    Are you saying a 25HP coverted to a jet? If so that about 18HP at the jet, that is darn good from what I've heard. I'm getting mix reviews on the 1648 with a 40/30, most say it will run fine with up to four people, others say only 2 or 3.

Yep, 18 HP. The 1648 is a pretty light weight Jon. 48" bottom = less drag to get on plane. As long as you do not overload it with heavy weights it will get the job done. I sold that boat around 1999-2000 and often wondered if it was still around Anchorage.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaM5 View Post
    Yep, 18 HP. The 1648 is a pretty light weight Jon. 48" bottom = less drag to get on plane. As long as you do not overload it with heavy weights it will get the job done. I sold that boat around 1999-2000 and often wondered if it was still around Anchorage.
    The dealer in Missouri I'm talking to said the same thing about the 48". He said the 40/30 on the 48" would be better than the 52" because it had less drag. Just trying to decide if I want to go with the Lowe 1648T .072" hull @275lbs, Blazer 1648 .080" not sure of the weight, but my guess is around 300lbs. or the Alweld 1648 which is .100" @345lbs. I like the weight of the Lowe the best, because if I do add some plywood floors to the bottom like my current jon boat it would still be lighter than the Alweld without the floors. My current boat is .072" with no problems on the bottom of the hull, but all those riffles I have been dragging the boat up I can probably motor up them now in the jet. So I still thinking the .100" might give me a little warranty.

Take a look at Crestliner. Dealer at Big Lake. Advantages are all welded hull, lifetime warrenty on hull. It is slightly heaver then rivited boats. Bud

I have a 1448 with a 25 Johnson tiller and I also have a 1652 with a 35/40 Yamaha, both propped. I use them weekly but on a lake setting. I have run rivers with the 1448 in the past. The most I will put in the 1448 is two hunters(including myself) and gear for a hunt. It will get on step but takes a few seconds. I use it for fishing (trolling) mostly and run 4 fishermen(including myself) with beverages. I load up my 1652 with my family of 4(including myself) with all our food and beverages plus usually tools and material for the weekend. Takes a little longer to get up on step but cruises nicely. Both boats, when empty, are very easy to move(or drag) if needed.