Thread: Educational Science Classroom Specimens

Default Educational Science Classroom Specimens

I started a thread a while ago about finding a place to tan a bear and someone made the comment, why tan a new one when you can probable find an old one that is already tanned that someone would be willing to donate for educational purposes. GOOD IDEA.

Little background on me, I'm a honors biology, anatomy & physiology, and AP environmental science teacher at Colony High School in the Matsu Valley. Beside my family (two little girls and my wife) teaching is my life. I love helping kids and getting them excited, especially about the outdoors.

So items that I'm always looking for are what I call "natural science" items. I never want your true treasures. I like to get items that are covered in dust and been sitting in the garage or flower bed out back for a few years. Items I'm always looking for are horns, antlers, bones, skulls, furs, hides, mounts (fish and animal all sizes), fossils, core samples, anything mine related. Besides just having a classroom that looks cool and is a fun place to be I do use the items in dichotomous keys, taxonomy, homologous, and analogous structures just to name a few areas.

I appreciate anything. I'm more than willing to come and pick stuff up. Or if you want to check out my classroom that's okay as well as long as I know ahead of time. Itís a fun place, from the 170 class whitetail mounts to the 100 gallon aquarium!

Thanks

Chris

thanks for the PM's guys. The couple of people that have contacted me I think realize I'm always looking for just about anything for my room. Kids love new stuff and the more I can draw in the better it gets.

Here is a link to some educational kits that are available for loan: Link.

I would like to commend you and your approach to teaching our younger generation. This is truly something I wish was more in all of our schools. What you are doing is great, and I will donate anything I happen to come across this summer while poking around in the woods.
    "Teacherman" you get an A+ for you approach at education
    Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in Alaska View Post
    Here is a link to some educational kits that are available for loan: Link.
    that is a great resource and I appreciate it. I have looked at it and I'm planning on using part of it when I do dicotomous keys. I just would like to be able to keep the materials on hand in my classroom. I always have a lesson when I start the day. But I guess I have ADD because I will be the first to detour off of it when a teachable moment pops up. Its nice to be able to open a cabinet and pull out an example. Plus I have hundreds of kids come in and out of my room everyday to just look at the stuff that is in it. The kids are interested and I want to keep them coming.

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by powderhound View Post
    I would like to commend you and your approach to teaching our younger generation. This is truly something I wish was more in all of our schools. What you are doing is great, and I will donate anything I happen to come across this summer while poking around in the woods.
    "Teacherman" you get an A+ for you approach at education
    Thank You
    The kids and I appreciate that!

BUMP:

Getting ready to set my classroom up this week and I'm on the hunt for a few new items this year for it. I'm really wanting to get all the game birds and fish of AK someday in there. Not limited to these items. If you have something you think you would like to donate please drop me a PM or email me.

thanks!

bigair163@hotmail.com

Chris
    Colony HS Science Dept.

Skulls, skulls, and more skulls! I'm also always looking for skulls still with the meat on them. I like to clean them with my class. Any animal. Great lab for the students. We do everything start to finish in class.

thanks

**** wish I would have known I just got rid of a ragged hide and skull last week. I will keep you in mind if we pull another blackie or two on the pred. control program

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Default From a Retired Biology Teacher

Congratulations - the teachers who want to make learning fun are few & far between. Congratulations again from an OLD biology teacher to one who is making a difference.

PM sent.

Thanks guys! I like any type of skull. If they are from out of AK that is even better but they don't have to be. I pretty much take skulls in any condition with the meat on them or off. When I get them from fish and game they are usually the most rotten. I freeze them and we just put them in the boiling pot frozen for about 45min - 2hours depending on what they are before we put them in an enzyme soak to completely clean them. Kids love it. Not many get to grossed out by it. The cadavers that we do at UAA, know thatís a different story. Thanks again guys!

Got into my classroom yesterday and started getting it setup. I'm going with a Cabelas theme

Question: (I way need to make this another thread)

- what kind of container do you keep the flesh eating beetles in? I have access to them and was thinking of cleaning a few skulls that way this year as well. Another great experience for the student. Its hard to beat biological enzymes but that eat the flesh but I figured it would be another cool lab and another cool experience for the kids.

bump:

Does anyone have any info on flesh eating beetles? I'm wanting to get a set for my classroom. (I would keep them in the back room).

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Teacherman View Post
    bump:

Does anyone have any info on flesh eating beetles? I'm wanting to get a set for my classroom. (I would keep them in the back room).

thanks
    How about this?
    http://www.dermestidbeetlecolonies.com/

http://www.bonesandbugs.com/purchase...d-beetles.html

AK grown beetles - I think the price is pretty decent and they are good people.

I housed some 10 gallon aquariums when younger.