Thread: ****** In Need Of A Bou!!!! ******

Question ****** In Need Of A Bou!!!! ******

Well between me and the ol lady we didn't draw and tags on a caribou. We really wanted to bag one this year. So is there any option for an average joe to bag one without heading up the Haul Rd. It is not feasible to fly out after one, just looking for some Bou meat for the family this year.
    I am willing to take a bou with my bow if there is an bow only hunt out there.
    What was the story on the Old Denali hunt this year? Will that be available to a harvest ticket hunt this year?

The fall 40-mile hunt is the only caribou hunt that I can think of that would work for you two. You should have signed up for the tier 1 tag for unit 13, which you could have used along the Denali Hwy, or applied for one of the new drawing hunts up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    The fall 40-mile hunt is the only caribou hunt that I can think of that would work for you two. You should have signed up for the tier 1 tag for unit 13, which you could have used along the Denali Hwy, or applied for one of the new drawing hunts up there.
    D*mn!!!!
    So I am sure it is to late to apply for those, correct?
    I really dont want to make the trip all the way to the slope this summer!
    Might have to though I guess!
    Thanks for the tips thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by powderhound View Post
    D*mn!!!!
    So I am sure it is to late to apply for those, correct?
    I really dont want to make the trip all the way to the slope this summer!
    Might have to though I guess!
    Thanks for the tips thus far.
    Yep, the application period ended in late December.

As Matt pointed out, though, you could participate in the 40 Mile hunt out of Chicken. It can be a bit crowded, but chances for success are reasonably high and it's closer than the slope.

I am curious as to how crowded the 40 mile will be. The tier 1 kind of locked, over 3000 caribou hunters(and thier family) into unit 13.

The 40mile herd winter hunt off the Steese is going to open back up on Saturday according to the paper. I might be up for taking someone up there, really have no interest in taking a caribou myself, but might be up for a outing and the chance at other game.

Good Luck and dress warm.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    The 40mile herd winter hunt off the Steese is going to open back up on Saturday according to the paper. I might be up for taking someone up there, really have no interest in taking a caribou myself, but might be up for a outing and the chance at other game.

Steve
    Good on ya, Steve. Very kind.
    Proud to be an American!

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post

Steve
    Steve,
    After reading multiple stories of your amazing hunting/fishing trips on here over the last couple years I would consider it a true honor to make that trip with you.
    Unfortunately I do not get back from the slope til Friday evening and I just couldnt make it up there in time.
    That is very kind, offering to help someone out with showing them the area and Bou's.
    Wish I could make the trip.
    Maybe next time/week?

No worries, the article said it would stay open until March 31st or until it shot out. Might be a good way for someone to get some meat in the freezer.

Be safe and stay warm
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

My two buddies and I are planning taking our snowmachines and going up the Steese tomorrow to get a caribou. We have little experience in the steese area. Do you have any suggestions on where to go?

Drive until you see a parking area full of trucks and trailers. Park there and start looking. The caribou should either be in the spruce, the willows, or possibly in an open area.

Now, for a serious word of advice... watch out for overflow. It was waist-deep in some places last weekend.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Any word on how the hunters are doing on the Bou hunting off the Steese this week? I am trying to talk myself into a road trip real quick!