Thread: Testing Batteries

Anchorage only because that's where the work is

Default Testing Batteries

How do you know a battery is in good shape? I'm thinking about taking them to one of the auto supply stores where they have the tested to put it under a load,any danger in doing this or another idea?

Big Lake Alaska

You could stick your tongue on the post marked "+" and place your thumb on the "-" post! LOL

Good idea about testing your batteries.

I had a battery go dead last year. It was my accessory battery, but my auto battery switch box stay in the "on" position and drained my starting battery. It wasn't until I took the batteries out this fall that I figured out what was wrong.

1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469

That's the correct way to check battery integrity. Place a load equal to approx. 1/2 the CCA rating of the battery for 15 seconds. Battery voltage shouldn't drop below 9.6 volts. This is assuming the battery is fully charged with the surface charge removed.

Default Testing batteries

That's a good way to test a starter battery but not for a deep cycle. There's no fast easy way to test if deep cycles still have their capacity.

Default Batteries Plus

I use Batteries Plus. For $5.00 they will cylce it on their pulse charger which will desulphate it and return you a solid battery. They will load test it when you drop it off and let you know if the battery is worth any more effort. The batteries I have had done have held up well.

Bandon, OR

What's the "normal" life expectancy of a bank of deep-cycles?

Had a bank of two in my last RV last 7 winters and they were still going strong when I sold the RV. The only thing I did was disconnect them in Sept until I started using the RV again in April.

Default Depends

"What's the "normal" life expectancy of a bank of deep-cycles?"

All depends on how you treat them. Throughly abused, you could ruin them in less than a year. Treat 'em right and you might get 6 or more years out of them.

Lead-acid batteries don't like to be deeply discharged or left in a discharged state. Worse thing you can do is run them flat dead and then let them sit a long time before charging them back up.

Best thing you could do is keep them charged 100% all the time - of course they aren't doing you much good then either.

Size your battery bank so that they are not drawn down more than 50% or 60% of their total capacity before charging them back up. Get a good charger that will properly bring them up to 100% before you start drawing on them again.