Thread: Long term camping

Default Long term camping

We are moving up there in the middle of June and was wondering if there is anywhere we could do some long term camping. We'll have a truck camper and a tent, access to water would be nice but as long as we can haul from some place we'll be fine. All I can find online is either federal land which has a fourteen day limit or resorts.

Thanks

What part of the state are you looking at.......? People (Mostly Rafting Co. summer employees) camp all over on and off the Hope Road for five months. Nobody seems to care as long as they keep it clean.

Yeah I should have said the location, sorry and anywhere in "driving" range of anchorage.

Quote Originally Posted by kantill View Post
    Yeah I should have said the location, sorry and anywhere in "driving" range of anchorage.
    I swear some of those guys have been living in there trucks in those pull-outs just south of the weight-station for 5 years.

Yeah I saw some people camped out like that just wasn't sure the legal or safety ramifications of it. Just don't want to have to pull up camp in two weeks. Is there any state parks that allow long term camping?

Centenial Campground is right on the edge of Anchorage and is part of the City Parks system. They also have a 14 day maximum. However, I have seen over the years people there all summer - a schoolbus load of Idaho church kids and various hippy groups. Ten or so years ago there was an article on full time employed homeless families and this campground was where a mom and her kid and a few other families had been camped all summer long beyound the 14 day maximum.

Any developed facility will have a maximum stay period. They do not want squatters. They are in the business of helping travelers, not home steaders. If you want to stay in one spot for a long time you will have to hit one of the private RV spots in town or take your chances at one of the quarries/pullouts. If it is a AKDOT quarry you might not make it a week before someone runs you off.

The other option is to find a "job" with the DNR as a Chugach state park campground host. The competition is high and does require you to be present to attend to your duties as host.

Along the lines of the campground host idea, there is also the same thing at many of the local schools. They use the "host" to help control vandalism and other illegal activity around the schools. Sometimes I have seen as many as three separate hosts at a single school. I have no idea how to check into that program, but it might be worth looking at if you are going to be here a while and will be fairly stationary.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I swear some of those guys have been living in there trucks in those pull-outs just south of the weight-station for 5 years.
    There are a few vehicles you see moving from pullout to pullout, year after year.

Personally I'd choose something that wasn't within eyesight of the highway, heck there's so much traffic on the Seward in the summer I wouldn't want to be within earshot either.

The camp host or school host would be the best option.

google is your friend http://www.asdk12.org/events/Camper_Host.asp

kantill,
    If you have a military base background/access, I'd recommend on JBER--Both on the Elmendorf and Ft Richardson side have campgrounds. This gives you the ability to have water, electric, and dumping readily avialable. Not to mention its pretty secure and cheaper.
    Long term camping, AKA boondocking, with no dump ability or readily available bathroom/shower facilities could be an issue. Well fo me anyway....lol

Thanks for the feed back, I am have looked into the camp host idea but I will not be there until mid/late June and those programs what people to start in May. I just sent a email to a person at the school district to see if I could get the info on the school host idea.