Thread: Your Cabin

Default Your Cabin

what size is your cabin and what would you do differently if you were to do another?
    i am thinking 24x32 with half loft stick framed with root cellar under one corner for food storage and water line/septic. i have an excavator on site.

My cabin that I have lived in for 11 years now is 11' X 23" Inside dimension. Plus 6" walls. Smaller is easier to heat.

currently i have a 12x16 with full second floor, too small but it sure does heat up fast

16x20 with a 3/4 loft, and 6x8 arctic entryway. What would I do different??? Geez that could be a long answer!!! Things I would do different would be certain small things, nothing major. The small details are where things really count sometimes.

24x32 will give you plenty of room and the root cellar is a good idea. The excavator might come in handy as well! Good luck!
    “There's a humorous side to every situation. The challenge is to find it.”
    George Carlin

1st floor 20X24, 2nd floor 20X32 with a catwalk and 12' open in the middle. It gives me a 8' covered porch and 2 seperate sleeping areas.

Changes - I would look hard at a Dual Pent Roof for ease of sheeting and height from the ground. I would also look at utilizing 8' of my porch as a dining area.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

20x24 with half loft. I have a 12/12 pitch roof over the front room and a 5/12 pitch roof with 4 foot pony walls over the loft.

If I were to change anything about it I would keep the 5/12 pitch for the entire roof. I really like the look of the steep roof, but it takes longer to heat and is a pain to get on or do finish work on the inside.

Price the difference between 24/20/16 wide. The narrower you go the cheaper the cost of materials and the shorter the load. The roof, woodstove and floor cost the most. 20'wide required 16' 2X6 for the rafters. Will you have to buy engineered joists for 24'? I used "site built trusses" and they are proving to be fine and strong. I would put the root celler 30 feet from the cabin especially if you are on permafrost as the ground may do funny things as it thaws around you. I would put the water storage on the loft for pressure and warmth if it is a permanent home.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by akfirefighter View Post
    20x24 with half loft. I have a 12/12 pitch roof over the front room and a 5/12 pitch roof with 4 foot pony walls over the loft.

If I were to change anything about it I would keep the 5/12 pitch for the entire roof. I really like the look of the steep roof, but it takes longer to heat and is a pain to get on or do finish work on the inside.
    how is your "headroom" in the loft with the 4 foot pony and the 5/12 pitch? how close can say a 6 foot person stand next to the wall?

Quote Originally Posted by akriverunner View Post
    how is your "headroom" in the loft with the 4 foot pony and the 5/12 pitch? how close can say a 6 foot person stand next to the wall?

I am 5'10" and I can stand about a foot off the walls and it it 8' in the center. For us it is plenty of room. We only use the loft for sleeping and don't spend much time up there. We debated having the loft rafters run to the floor, but really enjoy the extra four feet of space the pony walls add.

I want 4 small cabins all around the state.