Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brown Bear Hide Tanning for Classroom

Default Brown Bear Hide Tanning for Classroom

I'm a science teacher in the Matsu Valley and I've been working with fish and game and I'm lined up to get a brown bear hide from them for my classroom and I'm wanting to get it tanned. This will be out of my pocket even though it's for my school so I'm wanting it to be as cheap as possible. Does anyone know a taxidermist that would be willing to cut a teacher a deal. I can give them some really good advertisement with it in my classroom. If not what do you think it would cost to get it tanned? I have a 6' black bear rug in my room at my school now. I would love for the students to be able to see the difference between the two species.

thanks

The going rate for tanning is about $50.00 a foot.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

check out moyle mink on the web. they do good work. www.moytown.com

Gosh Teacherman, judging by the run-on in your first sentence, it's a good thing you are teaching science instead of English!

Hope you find a good tanner. That would be a great visual to get kids interested in hunting.

talk with tim at trophy tanning and taxidermy, he's a nice guy and might be willing to work with you. does all his tanning on site.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Gosh Teacherman, judging by the run-on in your first sentence, it's a good thing you are teaching science instead of English!

Hope you find a good tanner. That would be a great visual to get kids interested in hunting.
    I was expecting this comment, you are correct. There may be a little too much
    country in me but the kids love it and if you talk to them they love my classes Yes
    youíre correct I would fail the system if I had to teach grammar or English. It killed
    me in college, but I made it.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacherman View Post
    I was expecting this comment, you are correct. There may be a little too much
    country in me but the kids love it and if you talk to them they love my classes Yes
    youíre correct I would fail the system if I had to teach grammar or English. It killed
    me in college, but I made it.
    I'm betting you're right! It was just some good natured ribbing.
    I have taught Science before, but definitely it is not my forte'. Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by ibohnt View Post
    check out moyle mink on the web. they do good work. www.moytown.com
    +1. That's the only place I use anymore.

HAve you considered trying to tan it yourself? Some cool stuff you could do with chemistry, pH, etc. Just depends how nice the end product has to be. I had a student of mine do an excellent job on a seal hide using a battery acid tan. When I was in college I did my bobcat and javelina with a citric acid tan. Granted, a bear may be a bit more challenging...

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    +1. That's the only place I use anymore.
    With shipping each way at $12 a pound that could get really $$$ really quick. I use them for my fox hides. Plus I played on the site a little tonight and could not find bear prices??? I did find an article in an Idaho paper how they got raided this week by fish and game from multiple states! Didn't give much info but makes you think. I have a feeling it was for a poching ring from the article, not there fault just caught in the middle.

I ship black bear hides down to them from POW, and it's never more than $50 for a salted black bear hide crammed inside of a wax fish box.

Yes I have, we are in the process of cleaning and whitening a couple bear skulls. I just don't know if I have the facilities to tan a bear. But yes I have REALLY been thinking about it. I would just have to read up on it, never done it.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    I ship black bear hides down to them from POW, and it's never more than $50 for a salted black bear hide crammed inside of a wax fish box.
    I just got the $12 a pound off of their site. I thought that sounded really high. Can anyone find the cost of a bear on that site?

This is what I came up with. Give them a call tomorrow.

http://www.moytown.com/services-taxidermy.html

Teacherman,

I opened this thread expecting you would be tanning hide as a classroom project. Would be a cool thing to show the students, only problem is that once you take the hide from the tanning solution and rinse, it has be worked pretty much continually until soft, a pretty major undertaking requiring a lot of elbow grease hours.

Is the hide dried, salted, rolled up or what? A properly stretched and air-dried hide wouldn't go bad, would just be stiff, but if it was tacked out and dried right you could tack it to the wall if that is what you intend to do anyway, save some money.

Why are you even messing with F&G and tanning. Your in the valley.................advertise around for a tanned bear hide. Donation or borrow it. It's not like you need someones favorite trophy or rug. Bet you can get one already tanned.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Teacherman,

I opened this thread expecting you would be tanning hide as a classroom project. Would be a cool thing to show the students, only problem is that once you take the hide from the tanning solution and rinse, it has be worked pretty much continually until soft, a pretty major undertaking requiring a lot of elbow grease hours.

Is the hide dried, salted, rolled up or what? A properly stretched and air-dried hide wouldn't go bad, would just be stiff, but if it was tacked out and dried right you could tack it to the wall if that is what you intend to do anyway, save some money.
    I feel like I'm letting you down bushrat, salted, rolled and frozen. I thought about that also, it is going to be going on a wall. That may be something I have to do if I can't come up with an affordable option. You think just make a giant board with multiple sheets of plywood like you would tac a beaver? I wish I was tanning this as a class project, huge project, if I could work it in I would. The skulls have been fun, you should see some of the students eyes, lol. I have so many students come into my class that are not even my students to just check it out. After stretching and drying I could felt the back. What about smell, smells like a brown bear, tanning helps with that. Thanks for the idea. I'm still a little purplexed on how to dry a 8' bear without a barn door.

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Why are you even messing with F&G and tanning. Your in the valley.................advertise around for a tanned bear hide. Donation or borrow it. It's not like you need someoneís favorite trophy or rug. Bet you can get one already tanned.

I actually did put an ad of craigslist a while back. I was looking for any "natural science" items for my classroomand listed several. I'm always looking for old mounts, hides, bones, skulls, fossils. I use them in taxonomy and dichotomous keys just to name a couple uses. Think about when you where in school, wouldn't you have loved to be in a classroom full of cool stuff! It gets kids excited. If anyone has anything thatís just collecting dust I have a spot for it! Plus you can check out my classroom, I have a couple whitetail in it that are over 170" (both taken by me) and about 15 others from 100"-140". I just got a couple really cool wart hog skulls and we are in the process of cleaning some really nice brown bear skulls. I'm also always looking for items like undersized moose antlers as well; helps educate students on what a 50" moose really is. The ultimate would be a 3/4 to full curl sheep, even if it only had one side. So yes, I have, I could put an ad on this site. The reality is anything science related is very useful.

thanks, good idea

Did you consider tanning it with a few of the kids in your class?

They are actually pretty easy....now mounting teh skull on the other hand...................

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast