Thread: POW flyfishing

Default POW flyfishing

Hi guys we will be staying around twelvemile on prince of wales the first week of june this spring, this will be our first trip there was wondering what to expect in terms of flyfishing? Any help on what type of fish we could target and what type of flys would be appreciated, thanks.

River fishing is tough the first week of June. Might be some steelhead around, but it's well past the peak of the run. Some of the lakes can be very good for trout though.

Spend some time trying to find some Kings.

I've only ever found 2 lost kings in the rivers on POW. Other than that, no kings.

The lakes should have dollies good fishing for cuts. Fry and smolt patters work well. Dry flies on the rivers should produce fish too.
    Not sure where 12 mile is located, near Craig or Klowak.

Thorn river is good for cutts that time of year.

Thanks for the info, I think twelvemile is fairly close to hollis. We are planning a day at the end of our trip on the ocean going after kings, was hoping to hit rivers mostly but if the fishing is better in the lakes we can hit those.

Fish the lakes where the rivers/streams flow into them. Most of the lakes have a shallow gravel bar in this area and you can wade out pretty far fishing the current. Right were the drop off starts is where the biggest fish hold.
    It is a long trip from Hollis, but Luck Lake was a favorite of mine. Lots of nice fish in the lake. You will have to walk down Luck creek and it will put you right in the best place to fish.
    Just upstream from the bridge on Thorn River is a good place for cutts.

Good luck and report back after the trip.

I would research the cutthroat fishing in that area.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.