Thread: Outstanding Loads For 750 Woodsmaster

Cool Outstanding Loads For 750 Woodsmaster

I have tested loads and there are two loads lately that really shine in my 750 Woodsmaster. First is the Sierra 165gr HPBT using 57grs of IMR4350 or 57grs Norma MRP with Winchester brass, 210 Federal primer, these are 1 1/4 to 5/8 inch. Second, there is a real great load using the Nosler Partition Protected Point 180gr using 59grs of Norma MRP with Winchester brass, 210 Federal primer, and it is under an inch giving 2675-2710fps. This second load really gives the 750 carbine a lot of uses whether up close on a black bear, large hog, or taking a moderate to long shot on deer. The Nosler Partition Protected Point is constructed to open up at low speeds and still give great bone busting, organ destroying power by letting a lot of air in and spilling a lot of blood out the wound chanel. My 750 takes anything I put in it from factory to handloads. I believe Remington got it right this time. I am more than pleased with mine and it is such a quick and handy little carbine to move around when I am up a tree or moving up tight cayons. I am glad I bought one and tried it and handloading has giving a lot of lattitude with this rifle.

Assuming you're talking '06?

Haven't had it in years, but in my old 760 carbine (18" barrel) in '06 a really great load was 46 grains of IMR-4320 under a 200 grain Nosler partition in WW cases. Nothing fancy for long range shooting, but it was a real thumper for close work. I ended up putting a receiver sight on it, and it became my favorite brush gun for lots of year. Never did recover one of those bullets from any animal. They just kept on going and left a good exit hole even after making long passes through big critters.

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    I have tested loads and there are two loads lately that really shine in my 750 Woodsmaster. First is the Sierra 165gr HPBT using 57grs of IMR4350 or 57grs Norma MRP with Winchester brass, 210 Federal primer, these are 1 1/4 to 5/8 inch. Second, there is a real great load using the Nosler Partition Protected Point 180gr using 59grs of Norma MRP with Winchester brass, 210 Federal primer, and it is under an inch giving 2675-2710fps. This second load really gives the 750 carbine a lot of uses whether up close on a black bear, large hog, or taking a moderate to long shot on deer. The Nosler Partition Protected Point is constructed to open up at low speeds and still give great bone busting, organ destroying power by letting a lot of air in and spilling a lot of blood out the wound chanel. My 750 takes anything I put in it from factory to handloads. I believe Remington got it right this time. I am more than pleased with mine and it is such a quick and handy little carbine to move around when I am up a tree or moving up tight cayons. I am glad I bought one and tried it and handloading has giving a lot of lattitude with this rifle.
    I'm sorry. I guess I don't know much but what is a 750?

The 740/742 was an auto-loader and the 760 is/was a pump, what is a 750? Is that a typo?

What caught my eye with this is the powder in use.
    The 740/742/7400 auto-loaders aren't happy with powder as slow as MRP, RL-22, 4831 because the gas pressure at the port will be too high and will stress the mechanism. With the higher pressure the case will be still held in the chamber and then when the bullet passes the port and the gas hits the piston, it will operate the action and pull a piece of the case rim off the case but leave the case in the chamber. Of course after the bullet leaves the barrel you can pour the case out. Has anyone ever done this with the Remington auto loaders? They seem to work best with powders in the mid burning rate such as 4064, 4895, RL-15, 4320. Does anyone have anything different with them.

59 grains of MRP with a 180 grain partition is a great load for the '06. I've used that in bolt guns with good results.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

The 750 is indeed their latest semiauto offering. Haven't used it, but lots of history with its predecessors.

Way back in dim dark pre-history (late 1950's) Remington released a batch of '06 ammo that was evidently loaded with a slower powder, and their autos performed exactly as you describe--- With factory loads! Quite a black eye for them, and in fact that's what drove our family into reloading. I've been sensitive to burn rate for Remington autos ever since, and probably too conservative. About the slowest I've ever used was 760, with 4064, 4320 and 4895 dominating choices, as you point out.

This will not happen with the 750 the port has been changed so the gas does not take a 90 degree turn and so has the bolt been changed to a 60 degree instead of 90. My 750 operates great with the above loads because of the change to the rifle by Remington.

Sorry I did not post my cal. in 750 - it is a 30-06

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    This will not happen with the 750 the port has been changed so the gas does not take a 90 degree turn and so has the bolt been changed to a 60 degree instead of 90. My 750 operates great with the above loads because of the change to the rifle by Remington.
    Beartooth,

Thanks for the education. I didn't know about the Rem. 750. A replacement for the 740/7400 rifle? The 750 will be more like the Browning BAR gas system I would guess. Very similar to the M-14's tappett gas system which allows the use of any powder burning rate. This would allow the use of the so called "high energy" and "light mag" ammo in the M750 Remington.

I'd never heard of this new Remington but it seems to be an improvement. How long has this been available? I learn something every day. Thanks for the update.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Since this last year 2006. I have not tried the Hornady High energy and I am not sure how it would due in the 750. My favorite cal. or 300 Win mag and 300 Wby mag. but I have killed most of the game in my life with a 30-06 bolt action rifle. I am developing some new loads for my Ruger MK II Stainless in 300Win mag and will post my results when I am finished. Working on 180gr loads.