Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you treat your water?

Default How do you treat your water?

Well Buck started it and a few have stated it. I thought that it might be a good idea to run another thread on how you purify your water. What product do you use or have you used. Has any failed. If you can, share the make and models pros and cons. if you know a good supplier share that as well. Share the situational use of a particular model etc.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Since I travel heavy via canoe or atv, I bring my own water, with my backup watersuply from a SW furnished system (with chemiacals to add) that remains un-used.

I haven't used any filters but have used the two-tablet purification. We took two five gallon collapsible containers the last time and it worked fine. We did not move camp as we were dropped of by plane so it would be different if you were on the move. There was a slight taste with the pills but drinkable.

I take two filters on hunts with foour people. Allwater is filtered and then the drops put in. I am not taking chances.

I've had success with Katadyn. I have a Hiker Pro and one of the individual bottles. I say I've had success but I really don't know if they've done anything or if I simply avoided the nastiness by starting with relatively clean river water. All I know is I have never been sick on a hunt/hike/camp or immediately after.
    Another item I take is some cheese cloth to remove large sediments before they clog up a more technological filter/purifier. This is especially good when playing around the Tanana and other similar rivers.
    When possible, I always take water from a couple inches below the surface because there are many things that sink and many things that float but not as many things that are simply suspended in running water.

Again, I am no expert and I am unsure whether it was the Katadyn cleaning my water or me being lucky and not getting exposed.
    Thank you, God, for making so many wonderful creatures. Thank you, not only for that, but also for making them out of meat!

I travel mostly by plan so being light is critical to me. I usually fly with 1/2 gal of water and I have two MSR water works pumps. I have iodine tablets as emergency BU's but I simply pump a couple of gallons worth every afternoon.

I like REI because they are here in A-town and have a 100% return policy. IF it breaks I have a new one as soon as I get home.

Just my Nickel
    Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

Polarpure. Works like a charm, no aftertaste.

Either a Katadyn Hiker Pro or AquaMira drops.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

I boil water, period. Regardless of marketing claims, there is no filter or chemical treatment that is 100% reliable.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Boiling isn't 100% either. Depending on your altitude, the temp at which water boils can be different enough to require boiling for 5 minutes or 25 minutes.

Don't get me wrong, I have what I need to boil, should I feel the need.

What it all "boils" down to is what risks are you willing to take based on your current situation and past experiences. Its kind of the same as spray vs. lead injection for bear protection.
    Thank you, God, for making so many wonderful creatures. Thank you, not only for that, but also for making them out of meat!

Aqua Mira drops. Works for clean (not silty) water.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

I just drink it straight out of the clear mountain streams! Nothing better!

Default Not Recommending others do this!

I want to chime in on this one and just say that one of my more enjoyable things cruising different areas is "tasting" different rivulets and creeks. There is a remarkable difference in taste depending on the country water flows through. There is one particular tributary of the river I live on that is known by the river rats who've lived out here as some of the finest water in the known world (at least that we've ever tasted <grin>).

I absolutely hate the taste of filtered or treated water. Boiling also takes away the taste.

Not saying folks shouldn't filter or treat or boil...just that I think we're missing out greatly on some things in this day and age.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    I want to chime in on this one and just say that one of my more enjoyable things cruising different areas is "tasting" different rivulets and creeks. There is a remarkable difference in taste depending on the country water flows through. There is one particular tributary of the river I live on that is known by the river rats who've lived out here as some of the finest water in the known world (at least that we've ever tasted <grin>).

I absolutely hate the taste of filtered or treated water. Boiling also takes away the taste.

Not saying folks shouldn't filter or treat or boil...just that I think we're missing out greatly on some things in this day and age.
    Mark, I agree 100%!! There is no mountain stream that I won't drink out of! Now, if I am traveling on a river, etc. and there are beaver houses, etc. I may pass!

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    I boil water, period. Regardless of marketing claims, there is no filter or chemical treatment that is 100% reliable.
    Quote Originally Posted by skagdog View Post
    Boiling isn't 100% either. Depending on your altitude, the temp at which water boils can be different enough to require boiling for 5 minutes or 25 minutes.
    I appreciate your point about boiling times and temperatures at different altitudes. Do you recall a demonstration in Junior Highschool science class wherein you placed a beaker of tap water in a vacuum bell, reduced the atmospheric pressure, observed the water boil violently, opened the bell and stuck your finger in the water to find it COLD? It's all about barometric pressure...

The fact is that Giardia cysts (and most other bothersome pathogens) are killed at a temperature of approximately 160 F. Water boils at approximately 212 F. at sea level, and approximately 178 F. at 20,000 feet altitude. Therefore, bringing water to boiling temperature even at 14,000 feet in Colorado is sufficient to make it safe. No simple, quick chemical treatment or filter can guarentee safety. Boiling does.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

All righty, Google McAnswerpants, you're completely right. How could I argue with inter web facts. The time you have to boil water has no bearing on the cleanliness. The only thing that matters is temp....thank you bringing me back to the first dimension.

That settles it, folks, boiling is the best solution for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by skagdog View Post
    All righty, Google McAnswerpants, you're completely right. How could I argue with inter web facts. The time you have to boil water has no bearing on the cleanliness. The only thing that matters is temp....thank you bringing me back to the first dimension.

That settles it, folks, boiling is the best solution for everyone.
    No need for name calling. I learned those things in the late 70's when I started spending my life in the highcountry. That was BEFORE the internet. There's alot of incorrect information on the internet, but with a little common sense a person can pretty easily ferret out the truth, IF he or she cares enough to get off the couch and actually look it up. Just say'n.

Edit addendum: There's no need to boil for more than a minute or so, even at altitude. Any longer is just a waste of fuel.
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    I appreciate your point about boiling times and temperatures at different altitudes. Do you recall a demonstration in Junior Highschool science class wherein you placed a beaker of tap water in a vacuum bell, reduced the atmospheric pressure, observed the water boil violently, opened the bell and stuck your finger in the water to find it COLD? It's all about barometric pressure...

The fact is that Giardia cysts (and most other bothersome pathogens) are killed at a temperature of approximately 160 F. Water boils at approximately 212 F. at sea level, and approximately 178 F. at 20,000 feet altitude. Therefore, bringing water to boiling temperature even at 14,000 feet in Colorado is sufficient to make it safe. No simple, quick chemical treatment or filter can guarentee safety. Boiling does.
    Sorry, have to speak on this.

Putting water in a vacuum is not "boiling", as you stated water must reach 212*F to boil. Putting water in a vacuum and seeing the bubbles occur is a direct relation in pressure, but those bubbles are vacuum pressure and the release of free gas molecules escaping from the liquid environment to the atmoshpere above it. That is why the water you put your finger into was still cold. Another example would be a syringe with liquid inside, plug the syringe then pull on the plunger and you will witness the very same effect. Many of those classroom experiments are to gain the interest of students and often are not explained fully or even correctly.

Sorry to hijack with a stupid argument over whether something is 100% or 90% or 80% or 95.46576%.
    That was not my intention in providing my statements.

iofthetaiga: PM sent, we can continue this friendly banter through that means, if you'd like.

Back to the OP's OQ: How do you treat your water?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast