Thread: Situk this April!

Default Situk this April!

I'm finally getting a chance to go to the Situk the third week in April. I had 3 buddies back out due to job changes and money flow problems so I'm going alone. I rented one of the forest service cabins and I have some questions. Especially since I'm going alone.

I just wanted to know if any one that has been on the river in April had any advise. I'm curious about bear protection and thoughts of going alone. I'm fly fishing and pinning and my float rods are a Raven im8 and cts 13 4-8. I wondering if I should build a 6-10 float rod or my rods would suffice or am I going to be losing a lot of fish. I've seen people with heavy equipment kill fish because of little experience on how to fight of fish properly. I use quality fluorocarbon with knots designed for fluorocarbon. I like to think I fight fish smart by keeping the fish off balance and keeping the fish upstream of me if possible. I hear others talk of stopping fish from going into the wood, but my experience has been if I put that much pressure on the fish I pull or bend hooks. At any rate my goal is not to kill fish! I'll break off way before their rolling on his sides.

I'm also thinking of flying in and walking the banks up and downstream of the cabins. From what I've gathered upstream of the cabins should not be a problem. I was thinking of taking a small raft to get back downstream if I needed but someone suggested that there will be a lot of people coming through that could help me in a pinch especially if I paid them. I'm also taking a satellite phone.

I can't believe I'm finally going to get to go. I've been planning this for about 5 years. I'm from ear to ear.

I have not fished the Situk yet. Too many crazy out of staters and the place is overcrowded. Kidding, I am from NC. But in all seriousness, you won't likely find need in taking a gun or a sat phone. This is not some remote river in the wilds of Alaska. Sadly. Lots of folks there and you will more likely fire off a warning shot to keep your spot on the bank free of other fisherman than you will shoot a bear. There are some guys here that fish that river on foot. Saw some nice pics last year about this time. Try searching over the fly fishing forum older threads. You won't see much fly fishing or pinning talk here in the fishing forum. I do both by the way and your float rods may be a little on the light side. There are some big steelhead in the Situk. Had planned to go last year, but I don't like crowded places. Especially when I fly 4,500 miles to get to them. We rented a USFS about 40 air miles north of Ketchikan instead. Fishing a similar area this April. Lots of steelhead in some of the rivers in SE. New to it myself, but I am excited to get back down that way. If I were you, I would bank fish 2/3 the time and rent a drift boat 2 days, one day guided, one day solo. There are two or three lodges in Yakutat and some will rent drift boats out. I would not fly from Michigan to the Situk and not float the river at least twice. Kind of like driving from Oklahoma to Florida and not getting in the ocean. Check out the steelhead flies on the Alaska Fly Fishing Goods website. Moneybugs caught my eye in particular. Watch Jeremiah Johnson before you fly up. It will get your blood flowing. Take your gun, but you won't need it. And never, ever, take advice from strangers online.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Your IM8 and CTS should be fine.
    Is the CTS one of JC's rods?
    If so, I know they have quite a lot of backbone and will work fine.
    The Raven IM8's are also ok.
    One you may really like is a 13' Rainshadow XST 4-10# 3pce blank.
    Super light with tons of power.

Well just FYI you don't need a sat phone..........you really aren't out in the middle of no where. I would how ever make sure you have a rental car and snow shoes in case you decide to walk the river a bit. IMO any rod that long is not the best to fish with unless you are covering the lower sections of river, it gets pretty skinny up there with the over hang and what not. Also make sure you have good weather gear to cover warm weather, rain, snow, and cold, that time of year you don't know what it is going to do from one day to the next. Enjoy your trip though, it is a very nice place to fish one of my favorites. As for being alone don't worry you wont be, people wont be stacked on top of each other but you will see people off and on.

All the way from Michigan for a steelhead? Man you got great fishing there! (I grew up in Charlevoix). Kidding aside no gun needed - buy bear spray if you're worried. Sat phone - nah.

Gear - two weeks ago we CRUSHED the steelies on a pink jig here on a private little creek ;-) It was 1/8 oz, all pink with some flash in the skirt. Ran under a bobber.

Have a great trip!
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post

Gear - two weeks ago we CRUSHED the steelies on a pink jig here on a private little creek ;-) It was 1/8 oz, all pink with some flash in the skirt. Ran under a bobber.

Have a great trip!
    I'm jealous of you guys that live on POW. Keep talking and I'll be your neighbor and you'll never get rid of me.

Stop talking now Mike
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    I have not fished the Situk yet. Too many crazy out of staters and the place is overcrowded. Kidding, I am from NC. But in all seriousness, you won't likely find need in taking a gun or a sat phone. This is not some remote river in the wilds of Alaska. Sadly. Lots of folks there and you will more likely fire off a warning shot to keep your spot on the bank free of other fisherman than you will shoot a bear. There are some guys here that fish that river on foot. Saw some nice pics last year about this time. Try searching over the fly fishing forum older threads. You won't see much fly fishing or pinning talk here in the fishing forum. I do both by the way and your float rods may be a little on the light side. There are some big steelhead in the Situk. Had planned to go last year, but I don't like crowded places. Especially when I fly 4,500 miles to get to them. We rented a USFS about 40 air miles north of Ketchikan instead. Fishing a similar area this April. Lots of steelhead in some of the rivers in SE. New to it myself, but I am excited to get back down that way. If I were you, I would bank fish 2/3 the time and rent a drift boat 2 days, one day guided, one day solo. There are two or three lodges in Yakutat and some will rent drift boats out. I would not fly from Michigan to the Situk and not float the river at least twice. Kind of like driving from Oklahoma to Florida and not getting in the ocean. Check out the steelhead flies on the Alaska Fly Fishing Goods website. Moneybugs caught my eye in particular. Watch Jeremiah Johnson before you fly up. It will get your blood flowing. Take your gun, but you won't need it. And never, ever, take advice from strangers online.

-Dan
    Two years ago on April 13, I got between a full grown bull moose being chased by a large brown bear on the Situk. After the moose flew past me, the hungry spring bear turned his attention to me and all hell broke loose.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    Two years ago on April 13, I got between a full grown bull moose being chased by a large brown bear on the Situk. After the moose flew past me, the hungry spring bear turned his attention to me and all hell broke loose.
    And as the late Paul Harvey would have said, "Now for the rest of the story"...let's hear it.
    Last edited by spoiled one; 03-02-2011 at 18:34. Reason: fat fingered the keys
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Dont be scared about the talk of seeing alot of people fishing. You may have the drift flotilla work through for a coupla hours in the A.M. but its not bad. The key word to my first sentence is "fishing". A lot of the folks drifting by are not doing much catching, or so I have found in my experience. Last year I got on the plane with a guy that I had seen all week on the river, floating by with his two friends every day, he was bragging that he caught the most of his group. 3 for him for the week, 1 a piece for his two buddies. I smiled and said it sounds like you had a fun trip. I think my 11' 6" raven is still bent a bit from that trip.

Well It sounds like my gear should work. I get the feeling that the Situk is similar to the Platte river near TC here in Michigan. We had a cottage on the Platte so I'm used to ultra clear water. I've been hitting the Muskegon river with my jet but I need to get back to fishing the Platte, Betsie, and Rogue the next few weeks to warm up for the Situk.

I probably will not see a bear but with my luck I better take my gun and the Sat. phone. 12 years ago I almost drowned in the Grand, had a buddy blow up a can of clam chowder in the middle of a blizzard while Ice fishing on Crystal Lake (I'm sure your familiar Mike). My buddy looked just like bozo the clown with white chowder covering his face. My buddy had third degree burns and we walked through white out conditions and we were only off track 1 mile when we hit the road. Then my blower motor decided to stop working so I drove to the hospital with my head out the window in a blizzard.

So Dan I'm having my wife look for Jeremiah Johnson to watch tonight. Its been 20 years since I've seen the movie. I agree that a more remote location would be nice. Next year maybe it'll go after Sheefish.

And yes Drifter my rod is one of JC's design but got it from Fishsticks. I have since corresponded with him about the the 6-10 cts but I think I'll wait to calm down the wife. I'm going to put the money towards a the new Sanyo waterproof hd video recorder instead.

As far as the Sat. phone is concerned, you probably dont need it, until you do. For $75 a week for a rental, I wont go without one now. Cheep insurance if something happens on the river, or at home. I know my wife appreciates me bringing one now.

I secant the concern with the sat phone, I would defiantly take one as there is no cell service there. We have stay at both cabins an there’s an airstrip between them that could come in handy if someone gets hurt. As for the gun you need to ship it in a locked case.
    I would not recommend you walking 3.5 miles between the cabins & 9 mile bridge with out it. Talk with the people that will be camping at the bridge you may find out that the fishing and the trail may be in better shape upstream,, I went down once the last week in March and needed snow shoes to get around.
    Good luck & post some pics of the trip.