Thread: How Far Do You Hunt?

Default How Far Do You Hunt?

I just want to know how far do you hunt from your spike camp? I have heard stories about hunters getting too far from their spike camp and having to spend the night miles away from camp. also do you pack your sleeping bag when you go out incase this happens?

what are you hunting? mountain game, the camp usually goes with.

Moose and or Caribou.....K

Default Spike Camp

Always pack sleeping bag/ bivy tent when sheep hunting. Not necessarily when moose hunting. Know your limitations.

12-15 miles round trip in a day is about as far as i'll take a client and no i don't take spike camp, flahslights, space blankets,rain gear, and usualy a tarp as well as fire material is what i carry.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default walking

Sheep requires the camp with. Moose and caribou would be a bit much. Once you put a moose on the ground you will realize what people say. Keep the moose within a couple miles of camp. I have walked over 20 miles hunting moose, but always end up back in the main camp. Have walked many times in the dark to get back. Not the funnest thing to do, walking when it is almost pitch black and then a grouse explodes in front of you! That will get the heart beating!

Wink How Far?

Not far a mile or so. We backpack in set up camp and hunt, if game has moved so will we. Bill.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30