Thread: DB 202 West Ugak Bay

Default DB 202 West Ugak Bay

I am looking for some info on this hunt. I am wondering how the bear population and deer population are? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Try calling the Fish and Game biologist on Kodiak. Also, refer to an earlier thread started by BRWNBR for more information on planning Kodiak bear hunts.

Thanks AKfowler, I already read brwnbr's post and plan to call John Crye, just looking for some additional info, possibly somebody who hunted it this last fall.

i would like to commend you on adding the name of the location with the hunt number, most guys say "hey i drew hunt DB798z what can you tell me?!?!" thinking we all have the supplement memorized.

I do know west ugak is busy, in a way small, some terrian is hard to hunt unless your in a boat, theres a guide working in there that does not have a rep for being that friendly, they kill some good bears in there and deer as well. If i'm not mistake then give out quiet a few tags for this area? due to its proximity to the road system.
    Last i heard winter was going well on the island for deer.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Thanks, I talked to John Crye today, sounds like they don't give out many fall tags, mostly spring for this unit. I forgot to ask him about the deer but you make it sound promising.

9 tags, 5 for res and 4 for non-res in the fall.

its kodiak...there are deer there. can you find them is the question?
    late oct grass is still up, deer are super tough to find unless you catch them way up high, which is possible.
    seems like second week of nov in the area i work, thats when they start droppin down and crossing valleys. i don't hunt them till then.
    Master guide 212

Is there someone out there that could give me specifics on what area or drainage they would hunt? I talked to the biologist but he threw out about 3 different places. I am going to fly in and drop off.

have a plan A, B and C. you won't be alone...so don't figure one spot will be the place and show up and have two other camps there...be ready to move and be flexable.
    Master guide 212