Thread: Gettin' Brown Bears Close

Default Gettin' Brown Bears Close

Since we seem to be on a brown bear kick..........
    Has anyone tried Andrew Berg's LINK method of tying a length of rope to a piece of meat and the other end of the rope to one's foot? Take a nap. When the bear takes the meat, the rope will pull on your foot and you will be awakened. At that time shoot the bear!

:-)

when the bear takes the meat on which end of the rope?

Talking meat fly

If you're a real stud muffin, tie a meat looking fly, cast as far as you can, and when brownie bites, lip hook him and play him down. If you're into catch and release, pinch barb down, so as not to make him to mad taking hook out.Both then live to play another day. Another method is the bear butt-hook. A small grappling hook with a short lenth of chain attached and a horseshoe welded to chain to hold on to. Not sure how this worked cause customers who tried this method failed to send in their satisfaction survey card.

Default #1 Guide

I'm currently reading the book and 3/4 of the way thru it. I haven't read anything about that but there is a section concerning a client that said he was crazy for finding a sleeping griz and him and the client actually stalking the beast in the dark close enough to see its outline and hear its breathing and shooting it in its bed. The guys got b$%^^
    It's pretty dry reading and I've skimmed thru some but it is a remarkable account of his daily life. Any one looking to understand what these guys did day to day back then should read it. My 02

be fun to try until a trooper caught you baiting bears...but he might think your crazy enough he'd just sit back and watch...?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    be fun to try until a trooper caught you baiting bears...but he might think your crazy enough he'd just sit back and watch...?
    Just tie a hunk of meat on his leg and ask him "you gonna hunt, or you gonna talk?"........I bet he participates in the hunt.

Wink

nibenza, Interesting read. Did the author live long enough to finish his book?Bill
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Default LongHunter

Berg did not write it. It's mostly the excerpts of his daily diary with some newspaper articles and such.

Default It works

Had a buddy once Named Bill MorKel a PH in Tanzania. He said he got his Rover stuck in a crossing. Took out his trusty 416 Rigby and shot a young zebra ran a piece of 1 inch rope through the zebra and tied it at length to the Rover. When the lions came and tried to haul off the zebra they pulled his Rover out of the river. He then cut the rope with his machete. He even put this adventure in his book.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default HA

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    Had a buddy once Named Bill MorKel a PH in Tanzania. He said he got his Rover stuck in a crossing. Took out his trusty 416 Rigby and shot a young zebra ran a piece of 1 inch rope through the zebra and tied it at length to the Rover. When the lions came and tried to haul off the zebra they pulled his Rover out of the river. He then cut the rope with his machete. He even put this adventure in his book.
    Talk about thinking WAYYY outside the box, if its true thats pure genious.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "HOLY **** WHAT A RIDE!!!"

Default Treadwell

Didn't Timothy Treadwell try that?????

Wanna get a brown bear really close? Climb into an alder jungle and use a bleat call for deer. Better be standing back to back with a friend you REALLY trust for that exercise. It will break you of the habit in a hurry and teach you to do all your calling from outside the jungle. Even there, you better trust the guy covering your back.

Thumbs up

the only thing Treadwell was stuck in was that ol Bears craw.........

Default variation on a theme

Why not sleep up in the tree with the rope tied to you and a sack of rocks?

Then when the bear takes the meat on the rope, you jump on the other side of a big limb.

Your weight & sack of rocks pulls him toward you.

As you go down and he goes up and you meet in the middle you fight him with your K-bar.

; )

jedi.