Thread: Barrel Options?

Default Barrel Options?

Here's the scoop. I have a 243 WSSM. I bought it when old Winchester announced they were going under. It has sat in a safe or been cased sice I got it and is in pristine condition on the outside. I have tried sighting it in several times w/ different scopes and loads. Copper fouling is also not an issue. At 25yds some of the bullets will key hole. It has never shot well and I finally took it to the gunsmith to see if there was anything they could do.

They told me that there was severe pitting in the last 5 or so inches inside the barrel and this was likely causing the accuracy issues. Beucase it was from the Old Winchester there was nothing that New Winchester would do even though it clearly looks like a factory issue.

I was told I could rebarrel it.
    Could try and cut and recrown the barrel but not much barrel would be left
    I could sell it, but would not get much for it.

Basically the gun is useless as it is now. Does anyone have some economical alternatives so I can at least get it to shoot some kind of a group at 100yds so it could function as a deer gun of sorts? I don't expect it to be a match grade gun nor do I want to spend more money on what seems like a money pit.

TT

You could advertise in various shooting forums "WTB - 243 WSSM T/O barrel" or... "243 T/O barrel" and/or call up some smiths. It will probably be a lot easier finding the 243 than the 243 WSSM. You should be able to get the 243 cut and reamed to the 243 WSSM.... I think... ask a smith to be sure.

That's a barrel burner cartridge, you might want to look into nitriding. I know a guy in AK who has done it to a lot of his rifles and is very pleased with the results.

-Mark

Have it rebored to 6.5 or 7mm.

Do you have any idea what a rebore would cost? I might be able to rebore it to 6.5mm and make a 25 WSSM out of it. I would be worried that reboring it only .5mm would not get to the bottom of the pitting. Any thoughts on that?

A gunsmith recommened using bullets with grit to refinish the bore. Has anyone had any luck with this type of barrel treatment?

TT

Quote Originally Posted by NE to AK View Post

A gunsmith recommened using bullets with grit to refinish the bore. Has anyone had any luck with this type of barrel treatment?

TT
    That product is called Tubbs final finsh, there have been several good reports about it.

http://www.davidtubb.com/finalfinish.html

Here is a link to cabela's, just to read the reviews.
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Tubbs...h-All+Products

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by NE to AK View Post
    Do you have any idea what a rebore would cost? I might be able to rebore it to 6.5mm and make a 25 WSSM out of it. I would be worried that reboring it only .5mm would not get to the bottom of the pitting. Any thoughts on that?

TT
    I've used Tubb's Final Finish with good succes, but my experience is based upon a bore with substantial machining marks not a pitted bore.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

There is another thread here that said it costs about $225 to re bore. I would probably try fire lapping first. Then if that didn't work I would either rebarrel or rebore. 6.5 is .264, 270 is .277 and 7mm is .284. Pitting could be deeper than any of those and it may take a rebarrel.