Thread: 2011 Commerical Shrimp Pot Fishing Season

Default 2011 Commerical Shrimp Pot Fishing Season

Prince William Sound Commerical Shrimp season to open April 15,2011 8:am in Registration Area E. This years catch pound guideline harvest level is 52,760. To participate individuals must possess a current Po9E or P91E interm use permit and a superexclusive area vessel registration. You must also have on board all required commerical fishing safety gear.

Where is area E ????

Western part Prince William Sound.

I'll be out there at least a couple weekends in late April/early May, and possibly more if they keep it open a while like last year. Thanks for sharing the news. I felt lost last year on my one try, but I am much more familiar with this side of the Sound.

Are you going to give it another shot, dd?

It will sure be a long run for DD. Lots of camp out time!! Its a big area but they'll be sharing it with the gillnetters in a lot of areas. You know how pot buoys and drifting gillnets get along. The pot gear almost always loses!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

When do the gillnetters start hitting that area, Steve? I've got conflicting memories right now.

I plan on being there Brian. I will just follow you around as I do not know that part of the Sound. My dog DD should be up to the task. I will feed her shrimp. No shrimp no eat. Also she has to do is tell me where to drop the pots.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    When do the gillnetters start hitting that area, Steve? I've got conflicting memories right now.
    From Mid May on till just about September in the Coghill, Ester and Main Bay/Eshamy areas and don't forget the seiners during humpy season. Still a big area but with the gillnetters fishing almost 7 days a week they are tending to fish more offshore because the fish don't have a chance to build up on the beach also you never know when a guy will move offshore and do a night/sleeper set. It will be interesting to say the least. Knowing where the gillnet & seine lines are will be a good bit of info to have.
    Hey just got a idea?? Grease on the buoys so when a corkline marries up to ya it will just slide over?? Better get some grapnels with blades on the inside bends made up so a guy can toss them over a gillnet then drive away and cut the net in half! Sort of like Moses parting the Red Sea!! Let my pot buoys through!!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Looks like I'll be right smack in the middle of it all. If the commercial guys have to sleep in till 8am each day and can't pull gear after 8pm each evening a guy might have to just check some of their gear a little early! Kind of a get done early approach!

Well, let's hear it, I see no need in prolonging the inevitable, let the sport / commercial battle begin! After all, them's all my shrimp and I ain't gonna let no interlopers cheat me out of what's rightfully mine!

Last year it was just the commercial fishermen and personal use shrimpers in the fray. However this year we can add the commercial shrimpers to the mix and I've heard their a salty bunch! Don't waste one more minute, let your voices be heard, we can't let them commercial guys continue to win!

OR, you can just go about your way in piece and harmony and more then likely everything will be fine. I've always operated around (these groups) without ANY trouble what so ever!
    Mike

where is the area E cutoff on the West side? Is it pigot pt to ??

Here is the map with areas marked that will be open to the commercial pot fishery in 2011:

BRIAN...what is the "Commissioner's Shrimp Permit Area" and also, there is a blank area noted as closed to commercial Shrimp Fishing, and then there is a hash-marked area (such as Valdez Arm and into the Valdez Fiord) listed as Closed Waters...if the gray area designated as Commercial Shrimp Pot Fishing Area is the only place for that, I am happy

I'm not sure what the Commisssioner's Permit Area is, but yes, the shaded gray areas are the only areas open to the commercial pot fishery this year as far as I'm aware.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    where is the area E cutoff on the West side? Is it pigot pt to ??
    looks like pigot to the F&G line marker sign in the trees(if it didn't fall down) on the west point going into culross bay . We used to take turns gillnetting from that marker years ago. Choked a lot of reds on that point!!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Wonder if fish and game will let me use all these on one set...

Jokes aside, I've heard all subsistence, commercial and sports arguments and will never pick a side as a business. We aren't a political organization. All 3 groups need to learn to get along or eventually it will all be shut down with offshore processors and fish farms laughing all the way to the bank.
    Fish Nets & Supplies Since 1953
    Fish Nets - Dip Nets - Shrimp Pots - Bait - Rope - Twine
    5740 B St. - Anchorage, AK 99518
    www.donalsoncompany.net

[QUOTE=donalsoncompany;900399]Wonder if fish and game will let me use all these on one set...

Holy Pots!!!

Quote Originally Posted by donalsoncompany View Post
    Wonder if fish and game will let me use all these on one set...

Jokes aside, I've heard all subsistence, commercial and sports arguments and will never pick a side as a business. We aren't a political organization. All 3 groups need to learn to get along or eventually it will all be shut down with offshore processors and fish farms laughing all the way to the bank.
    I could take a few of those off your hands