Thread: Kenai Wolf Down.

Default Kenai Wolf Down.

My buddy called in and shot this 78 lb. female gray last week here on the Kenai Peninsula. Used his Remington VTR in 22-250. Called in using his Foxpro Firestorm using a snowshoe in distress and coyote locator. Not a massive wolf, but absolutely BEAUTIFUL pelt with no lice or rubbing. Hopefully saved some moose calves this spring.

Excellent Job!!! I love how the tracks end in a blood splatter!! How close did the wolf get before he shot?

Nice picture. It's is pretty neat to see the tracks in the background.

The wolf came running out toward the middle of the field, which is where the call was set up, and my buddies view was partially obstructed by a small spruce in front of him, the wolf got to within 30 yards downwind of him and when he leaned out from around the spruce, he was spotted and the wolf took a 180 and started haulin ass back in her tracks. He popped it off safety and squeezed one off when he got a patch of fur in the Zeiss. He hit her high in the front leg and dumped her, then took one final shot to dispatch. I believe it was around a 100 yard shot.

Very nice! Congrats to your buddy

what a nice looking wolf!
    great job!
    what are your plans for the hide.

Congrats to your buddy - thanks for sharing!

He is just going to get the hide tanned and the skull is in the beetle tank as we speak!
    Quote Originally Posted by joefish00000 View Post
    what a nice looking wolf!
    great job!
    what are your plans for the hide.

Awesome!!!!

Loren Reese

Very cool. Nice job. Like you said, probably saved a couple dozen moose this year. Keep up the good work. I am surprised the coyote locator worked for wolf though. Which sound did she respond to the hare in distress or the coyote locator?

He said its hard to tell which call she came in to, but the coyote locator was running when she came in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Very cool. Nice job. Like you said, probably saved a couple dozen moose this year. Keep up the good work. I am surprised the coyote locator worked for wolf though. Which sound did she respond to the hare in distress or the coyote locator?

Good for your buddy! It is really encouraging the number of wolves taken this year that seem to be lice free. Over the years it seems like the coyotes have learned that wolves will find them if they howl and so do not howl nearly as much as they once did on the Kenai. Hadn't thought about using the coyote to bring in a wolf but makes great sense, congradulations. Were there any sign of others running with this one?

Congrats on bringing in a nice wolf. You've inspired me to go out tonight.

I am surprised the coyote locator worked for wolf though
    I've heard wolves will kill and eat coyotes so I'm not surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by wyobohunter View Post
    Congrats on bringing in a nice wolf. You've inspired me to go out tonight.

I've heard wolves will kill and eat coyotes so I'm not surprised.
    Yep, he heard the exact same thing, and thats why he chose the locator. He wasnt targeting wolf specifically.

And to sameyer, he said there was no sign of others, just her. He followed her tracks for a ways, and didnt pick up any other sets of tracks.