Thread: Bauska BBK-02 Large Magnum Action

Default Bauska BBK-02 Large Magnum Action

Doing some research on the Bauska BBK-02 large magnum action. Would appreciate it if one of you could provide me with some information. Checked the internet and information is very limited. Thanks
    Last edited by WDChurchJr; 04-25-2007 at 19:02.

Default Mail it to me

It's a commercial 98 mauser action. Very good quality. But, since you don't need another rifle and I need a fishing weight, you should mail it to me.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default Never enough rifles

When I get to the point in my life where I say I have enough rifles, it will be the day that my favorite rifle will remain on the gunrack. Thanks for the information. And no I would prefer to have another rifle built on this action and not send it to you to use as a fishing weight. Nice try though.

I've heard varying comments on them being a bit roung, but for a large action they are a good starting point. I can't see using such a large action for std belted rounds and would recomend building something based on at least the 416 Rigby or the large belted Wheterby case.

Smile waa!

It was worth a try. Good Luck on your project.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

My 338/378 Wby was built on one in 1991. Took a lot of work to get it up to my specs. Good actions though. Retail on one back then was right at $499.00.

Default Mauser Central link

Allen in Alaska,
    Thanks for your input, also found some information that you provided to another individual regarding the Bauska BBK-02 back in April 2006, found it interesting, if anyone else is interested in reading up on it here is the weblink:
    If you don't mind Allen tell me what work you had done on your action to get it up to your specs before building your 338/378 Wby. Thanks
    Last edited by WDChurchJr; 02-27-2007 at 22:29. Reason: corrected weblink address

Default Modern Custom Guns by Tom Turpin

Anyone interested in doing a little reading on the BBK-02? This information was provided to me by the previous owner of the action: Tom Turpin's book "Modern Custom Guns" from Kraus Press has some information on the Bauska BBK-02, see pages 42,43,44 for explanation and pictures and page 23 for 3 excellent examples of custom rifles built on this action. Enjoy

Default Press Release: OA/Bauska/BBK Actions No More!

Additional information regarding the manufacturing of Bauska BBK Rifle actions. See the Olympic Arms Owners Association website.

Press Release: OA/Bauska/BBK Actions No More!

It is with some regret that I received word from Olympic Arms President Robert C. Schuetz that the magnum bolt actions marketed from Olympic Arms as the BBK or Ultramag Action will no longer be produced.

Olympic Arms purchased the tooling to produce these actions from a Montana resident named Jack Bauska back in the late 1980's. The actions are large frame Mauser style actions for Safari size cartridges like the 375 H&H and larger. With a box magazine length of 3.85" and a collar size to match, these actions were some of the strongest bolt action receivers ever made (investment cast), and could handle anything up to and including the .505 Gibbs cartridge.

Last manufactured in 2002 (?) with an upgraded 3 position Winchester style safety and Timney triggers, the Ultramag actions, still often referred to as the Bauska, or BBK action by many, were highly sought after actions for custom rifle manufacturers around the world. Standing orders existed for the Gibbs Rifle Company as well as the smashingly famous Holland & Holland Rifle Company.

Troubles with production existed from the get-go on the production of these actions. As the tooling was Korean made, and parts were less than 100% interchangeable between actions, there was some dislike for the Ultramags, but when properly finished and assembled, made a rifle, I dare say, second to none. Tooling wore out quickly once brought to the US for their last production run, and only a few hundred were actually totally manufactured in the USA by Olympic before the tooling just simply wore out and needed a major overhaul to continue production.

Well that major overhaul, turned into a complete replacement with new tooling top to bottom. This, considered next to the growing demand for AR15's in general (the Olympic Arms mainstay), and the continuing successes in gaining market share for Olympic Arms brand name in civilian, LE and governmental circles, the time and engineering needed to continue the Ultramag action continued to be pushed back, until today that is, when production was officially cancelled.

While Mr. Schuetz refused to say "Never again", he did say that the reappearance of the BBK was "highly unlikely", and "definitely not" in the foreseeable future.

Gut feeling: You'll never again see the BBK/Ultramag actions. If Oly ever puts out another bolt action, it will be on a billet action designed by company VP Brian Schuetz who has tabled this thought in the past.