Thread: DG866 Marcus Baker Advice??

Default DG866 Marcus Baker Advice??

cant find alot on this hunt in the archives. im thinking early season, might be solo, any experience on the four access points im thinking of-lazy mt,friday creek,metal creek,the airstrip at grasshopper? i have a four wheeler but would be cautious about water levels, should i spring for a drop off? any advice would be great.

Try youtube and/or google; I drew the Lake George permit a few years back (when it was still a draw hunt) and I found a youtube video of a guy who drew the Marcus Baker goat tag and made a great video of his hunt. I shot him an e-mail and he gave me a ton of info on the area.

- found a link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kScUuZGtcq4
    Last edited by AKfowler; 03-01-2011 at 17:39. Reason: found the link

I have flown with that same air taxi operator - best one for that area. In fact landed on that same air strip. Lots of goats in that area. On the mountain on the opposite side from where the goat hunter went up is the ridge line separating that valley from Metal Creek and often will hold rams. In addition there are lots (LOTS) of black bears in that area. I also hunted goats in another area of the Chugach close to that area in Oct. Be prepared for cool to cold temps - day time temps never got above 30 degrees for the week I was there. That time of the year snow is common and one should expect frequent showers along with lots of fog. I would recommend that you hunt hard on any good days you get Good luck.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Fly in, whether you pay to or know someone with a cub. I believe a 4-wheeler or hiking in from lazy mountain would be futile at best. I drew this hunt 2 years ago and harvested a dandy billy that score 51 b&c points. Killed him at the end of september. Also, go as late as possible to ensure a great hide. We flew into one of the cub strips in grasshopper valley and were on goats within a few miles. Also saw several black bears and a few sheep. GREAT hunt that will provide an outstanding opportunity for a high-quality animal. Do your homework on goat identifying if you're unfamiliar and be ready to do some fun brush busting.

Quote Originally Posted by sockeye1 View Post
    Fly in, whether you pay to or know someone with a cub. I believe a 4-wheeler or hiking in from lazy mountain would be futile at best. I drew this hunt 2 years ago and harvested a dandy billy that score 51 b&c points. Killed him at the end of september. Also, go as late as possible to ensure a great hide. We flew into one of the cub strips in grasshopper valley and were on goats within a few miles. Also saw several black bears and a few sheep. GREAT hunt that will provide an outstanding opportunity for a high-quality animal. Do your homework on goat identifying if you're unfamiliar and be ready to do some fun brush busting.
    Dang Sockeye, that thing is a hawg!!! Congrats on a beauty of a goat.