Thread: 338-375 Ruger Wildcat

Default 338-375 Ruger Wildcat

Did a seach on the forum and never found much info on this wildcat. It seems it would be easy to convert a 338 win mag to this round and it should equal the 300 weatherby performance. I found infor on the 358-375 but the 338 version seems the easiest to do.

Would the closest kin not be the .340 weatherby? Which is a necked down blown out h&h. It's all been done with the h&h might as well do the same with the ruger.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

I think it would be a great wildcat. I'm currently getting a 300-375 Ruger done. Great case design, especially for wildcating - not to sure about brass quality though as Hornady is the only option. The 375 will have about 78 gr of powder capacity, give or take compared to about 86 gr for the 340 Whtby, compared to about 74 gr for the 338 WM, so it will be closer to the WM than the Wthby. You'll obviously need custom dies and Hornady will make you a set of match grade New Dimension dies for $190 + shipping. You would also need a forming die and that would run $78. Is it worth about 6% more capacity over the 338 WM and no belt (if that's a factor for you)? Your call.

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    Would the closest kin not be the .340 weatherby? Which is a necked down blown out h&h. It's all been done with the h&h might as well do the same with the ruger.
    Sorry for the typo. I do think that the 375 Ruger is a very well designed and efficient round. The only reason I would select the 375 h&h over it would be ammo availability in Africa and that may soon not be an issue. I also believe it would be a great case to use for anything from 30 to 40 caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    I think it would be a great wildcat. I'm currently getting a 300-375 Ruger done. Great case design, especially for wildcating - not to sure about brass quality though as Hornady is the only option. The 375 will have about 78 gr of powder capacity, give or take compared to about 86 gr for the 340 Whtby, compared to about 74 gr for the 338 WM, so it will be closer to the WM than the Wthby. You'll obviously need custom dies and Hornady will make you a set of match grade New Dimension dies for $190 + shipping. You would also need a forming die and that would run $78. Is it worth about 6% more capacity over the 338 WM and no belt (if that's a factor for you)? Your call.
    I would like to hear how your 300-375 ruger performs. I would also like to hear how the 338-375 ruger performs if anyone has one. I have a 338 win mag that I am going to take to Africa on a plains game hunt. So I don't think that I would want to make the conversion until I got back if even then. To convert would all I have to do is get a reamer and have a gunsmith do it.

Quote Originally Posted by lwaters View Post
    I would like to hear how your 300-375 ruger performs. I would also like to hear how the 338-375 ruger performs if anyone has one. I have a 338 win mag that I am going to take to Africa on a plains game hunt. So I don't think that I would want to make the conversion until I got back if even then. To convert would all I have to do is get a reamer and have a gunsmith do it.
    I have the stock and action platform and barrel, a Broughton 5C, is ordered. It will be about 1-2 months for that. Then 3 months after the smith gets all the components he should have it done. Then I'll break-in, work up a load for accuracy and velocity baseline and send it in to get the barrel nitrided. Hopefully I'll be ready for Montana hunting this fall. I am also planning to follow with a 6.5-375.

Yeah, to convert you would need a reamer and dies, including forming die. Hornady is doing me a .338-375 Ruger forming die, so they will have that on file.

So is the 300 winchester magnum case to long to just ream out the chamber on an exsisting rifle? I know the 338 win. mag. and 358 norma mag. are shorter. So you could just ream out and exsisting 338 or 358 to a 338-375 or a 358-375?

The 300 WM is .040 longer than the 375 Ruger. You could have it cut and set back .1 or .2 or so and maybe re-ream it? You should ask a smith, this is beyond my expertise. I know I would make real sure the barrel is in good shape or get a new one before putting the effort and $$$ into it.

Here's a link to a handy cartridge reference guide.

http://stevespages.com/page8d.htm

I think that one of the first 338-375 Rugers was/is called the "338 Campfire." Check with Rick Bin at the 24hrcampfire
    Drink indigenous.

would be very similar to the 330 dakota,just slightly less capacity for the ruger case.
    the 330 dakota does 2850 with a 250gr out of a 24" tube and a 225gr at 2975fps

the ruger are nice in that brass is readily available

I have no clue why Ruger pussed out and made the .338RCM and .300RCM a shorter cartridge than the .375 . A quick inspection of drawings of the .375 RCM and .338 WinMag sure looks like you could neck down the .375 RCM and have a greater capacity cartridge AND be able to simply rechamber the .338 WinMag to the .338-.375 RCM if the wildcat was done right.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I have no clue why Ruger pussed out and made the .338RCM and .300RCM a shorter cartridge than the .375 . A quick inspection of drawings of the .375 RCM and .338 WinMag sure looks like you could neck down the .375 RCM and have a greater capacity cartridge AND be able to simply rechamber the .338 WinMag to the .338-.375 RCM if the wildcat was done right.
    I think ruger went with the 300 and 338 rcm's because they did not think they could take many sells away from the 300 or 338 winchester magnum. The 375 ruger on the other hand is a big improvement over the 375 h&h because of it's standard action and a improvement in ballistics. Also I think ruger had to pay winchester to load the 300 wsm. Ruger also now chambers the rcm's in the hawkeyes with 22in. barrels. I would like to have a 338-375 ruger just to have one wildcat round but I do not know if it will be any great improvement over the 338 win mag. According to hornady the 300 rcm's outsells the 338 which surprizes me.

I think the 338-375 would equal the .340 Weatherby and outrun the .338Win. It would be fun to mess with, but with no real world advantage.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem