Thread: Sat Phone Rentals in ANC?

Default Sat Phone Rentals in ANC?

What is the best company (preferably local) to rent a satellite phone at in Anchorage? Just pick it up there? Going to rent the Iridium 9555 for this fall..

I have used a couple. My favorite for convenience and service has definately been Surveyors Exchange.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I've used Alaska Satellite Communications, Surveyors Exchange, and some place on Northern Lights across from REI. No complaints about any of them, but Surveyors Exchange seems to be the most convenient given Fairbanks and Anchorage locations, night drop box, mail service, etc.

For those that have tried different services, is there much of a price difference, and what is the average for pricing?

Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I have used a couple. My favorite for convenience and service has definately been Surveyors Exchange.
    I used a place on northern lights as well. First year no problem, second year the day we were leaving I called to let them know we would be by to pick up, and they said "oh yeah, we don't have your phone". Luckily I found a last minute deal with Backcounty Survival.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Price seems to be steady and uniform, $75 a week plus minutes. Be very careful about some out of state advertising phone rentals. I got hooked for extra days for shipping that was not mentioned in the contract. Try Surveyor's Exchange first.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    Price seems to be steady and uniform, $75 a week plus minutes. Be very careful about some out of state advertising phone rentals. I got hooked for extra days for shipping that was not mentioned in the contract. Try Surveyor's Exchange first.
    Definitely in state preference. Thanks Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    +1. They even GoldStreaked a phone to me.

Make sure you get your reservation in early enough. When I went down to Surveyors Exchange to pick up my sat phone in Fairbanks for my float trip last year a couple different guys came in while I was there to rent one and found out they were out of luck because they hadn't reserved one and they were all spoken for.

Melanie Taylor of Backcountry Survival had some when Surveryor was out. She even delivered it to me and picked it up at the mooses tooth when we got back Give her a call 907) 227-0876

Talk to Greg Lee at Surveyors Exchange in Anchorage, they have a lot of info on sat phone rentals on their website also.

Accupoint, the GPS store has them for rental also. I have no experience renting a sat phone from them but their customer service in marine electronics so far, is excellent.

I no longer have to rent, but Surveyor's Exchange was good to me when I did!

GG

Surveyors Exchange. It was nice to have a drop box when we got back from Afognak at 1230 on friday night. We didn't have to pay for the weekend!

I've used Anchorage Satellite Phones {across from REI on West Northern Lights Blvd} on several different occasions; always had good service & also recently purchased a new 9555 from them as well.
    -- just checked their website & they are advertising $59.95 per wk, not sure if the price per wk changes thru-out the summer & into fall when things get busy??
    You'll like the 9555, itís a sweet little phone.

Quote Originally Posted by dieNqvrs View Post
    Melanie Taylor of Backcountry Survival had some when Surveryor was out. She even delivered it to me and picked it up at the mooses tooth when we got back Give her a call 907) 227-0876
    Did she buy you a beer and pizza as thanks?