Thread: Lamson-Waterworks

Default Lamson-Waterworks

In this line of reels, other than their top-end Vanquish, I'm looking for a solid 8 weight with a bullet-proof drag. Recommendations?

I have a few of their Velocity reels on my 7 wt and they are great. Strong drag, smooth, and didn't break the bank. Last year I got 4 of the Lightspeed reels for my wife's 9 wt set up. Have not put them to use yet, but they seem to be of great quality. Customer service at Lamson seems very good. I bought the Lightspeed reels used but in brand new condition. Sent them to Lamson and they put the newer stainless ball bearings, changed to left hand retrieve, serviced, etc.. the reels even though I had not bought them new. I was impressed with my dealings with Lamson. They charged me return shipping only for this service. Several folks here have bought the Guru reels over the past year and praise them highly. If I were to buy a Lamson reel at this point, that is the model I would lean towards. Great value from all accounts I have seen. JohnSWA bought some last summer if I recall. Sweet reels.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

The Lamson Guru is the best value 8wt reel in the sub-$250 range, hands down. I own several and have yet to kill one, which is an accomplishment. While you won't find anything "bulletproof" in that price range, the Guru is definitely a sturdy reel with a good, smooth drag.

Cough up a few more bucks and get a Solitude LA5 if you are looking for sturdier construction - Good reel at a good price made by great folks.

I also recommend Lamson and Solitude. The Guru as mentioned is a good bang for the buck. I currently have two Solitude 3 and the Solitude LA5 reel. These reels are bomb proof and very affordable.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

I just ordered two of the Guru 3's (7/8 wt) for my wife. We bought her a K Kustom St Croix 8 wt from Mossy's Fly Shop the other week. A pretty pink pearly thing. Ha ha.. She loves it. Ken put her name on it and was awaiting an order of rod tubes. We picked it up from Ken last night at his house here in Anchorage. Nice guy and has some impressive rods in his shop being built.

As for the reels, got mine from Yager's Fly Shop (website). Ronn, shop owner, is good to deal with and I have bought several Scott rods, Simms waders, reels, etc... from him over the years. You can order the reels with line and backing. He only charges $40 for the SA Mastery lines ($70 lines) and puts free backing on, the lines on, etc... I got two reels, one with the GPX WF and one with a wet tip type IV. I emailed Ronn about the sink tip. Just mentioning as you see on his site only floating lines were listed, but he will put anything on you want. Good customer service and free shipping.

http://www.yagersflies.com/wagurenewfor.html

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Lamson makes some nice reels. Guru is good with a great drag.