Thread: Thunder Jets

Default Thunder Jets

A out of state dealer is trying to sell my neighbor a fairly new 25 foot Thunder Jet. Boat has the 496 HO (420 hp) motor mated to a Hamilton 212 jet. Neighbor is considering buying it and joining our moose hunting parties but neither him or myself have any knowledge of these boats other than they look pretty good.

Most important question is can they handle a lot of weight? Anyone have any experience with these boats? We load up pretty heavy and this rig would have to be capable of carrying about 4,500 pounds of gear, gas, and people on deck when fully loaded. Can the boat do it? Realize it will be a gas pig, but you gotta pay to play.

If you have any knowledge of these or similar sized jet boats would appreciate your opinion.

Thanks
    Tennessee

Randy,

One thing to consider is that these boats are 9 foot beam, so you need a wide load permit everytime you move it. There are a lot of big jetboats that do not have this hassle.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Very true and a valid point. 9 foot beam, 7 foot bottom. But the wider beam usually means they will run higher and carry more weight.
    Also, this boat is equipped with trim tabs as well.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    Randy,

One thing to consider is that these boats are 9 foot beam, so you need a wide load permit everytime you move it. There are a lot of big jetboats that do not have this hassle.
    True, but it really is not a big deal towing over size. You are some what limited over holiday weekends, but that is about it. That is the only draw back that I can see towing the over size. Can you think of any others, Jim? I think that extra beam would be great on a trip like that. I have absolute no experience jet boating, but on a trip of that magnitude I think fullbush's twin jet bowpicker would be awesome! Unless, of course, you ran out of water!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Yes, it's not a big deal being oversized, but just something to be aware of and make a clear decision about. I had a friend in the valley that bought one of these not realizing it was oversized. I think down in WA the limit is 9ft before you have to go wide load. If you do a lot of short hauls out to the river and back, it is a minor inconvienience putting the signs and lights on, and needing the $400 permit each summer.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Snowwolf I hunted the Yukon River for about 15 years in a 21 foot Hewes Craft River Runner, it had a inboard (350) with trim tabs and I carried two people and all of our gear ( we had to pack like we were going sheep hunting ) to include a inflatable raft (11.5 foot) and used the kicker off of the main boat. My hunting partner had a 20 foot Custom weld and he carried the same gear. We have have brought out two moose in each boat and then had them flown out of Galena. The heavies we traveled was when we left Galena and on our way back to Galena, we carried 200 gal of fuel in barrels an 50 gal in the boat. Another friend want to start going so we told him that he had to get a boat and he bought a 25 foot Thunder Jet and he had it made because he could carry more gear and creacher comforts and still bring two moose out with two guys. The only problems he had was his fuel useage and when heavy he requied more water to get on step.If the fuel prices would come back down then we would start hunting on the Yukon again and it would be in a 25 foot or bigger Thunder Jet. But I am NOT going to over $7:00 a gallon again. We have some great memories and trophies, it is a hunt of a lifetime.

If you have any questions PM me.

Thanks
    Moose

I have a 22' TJ with the 383 stroker and 212 pump. I love the boat and have had good luck with it, I bought it new in 03. I do not have the power of the 496, but more than the 350 and less weight than the 496. Can you tell me where and who the dealer is that has the boat? (PM if you want). I know a couple of dealers down south. Also if he buys the boat, I would have the impeller reworked at a place I know in Grangeville ID. Makes a big difference in performance and not that expensive. A lot easier to do with the boat down south. That 212 should have at lest the 4.0 impeller with that motor, I think. The boats are will built and look good. If I can answer any questions just ask. I would be more than glad to talk by phone. I plan on being at the spring jet boat gathering and would gladly take you for a ride.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

My hunting partner has a 24 footer with a 454. The thing is a beast, what ever needs to be hauled that thing hauls it. He takes it in to pws and way out of Seward. Bring a big winch if you plan on running really skinny water, we got it stuck and it was a lot of digging but it's way comfortable and it hauls like a Beaver.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

I don't know the dealer and neigbor is out of town for a few days so will not be able to ask him. I do know all the 496's have the 4.0 impeller. Neighbor is seriously considering buying it but advised him to be cautious untill I researched it so more.

Nothing worse than buying a under powered pig. At the boats heaviest leaving Galena going up the Koyukuk it will have 450 gallons of gas on deck, 2 adults, and 5-600 pounds of camping gear.

Thanks for the advice. Just trying to determine if the boat will have enough power. What do you think the fuel burn numbers would be empty and loaded running about 30 mph? The trim tabs would be a definite plus as it would help get it on step and run level, at least that is what I think.
    Tennessee

Have your friend get in touch with me about the impeller rework, as it will make night and day difference in the performance of that 212. I'm not connected in any way with the man doing the work, just had him do my 3.4 and know what an improvement it made.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning